Angelfish fry

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
How interesting! I think you are right about the eggs being moved too early. I panicked. That's ok though, because I have too many fish. Rehoming a pile of them (from another tank) this week. I am concerned about the angels though. Now, they are really getting rowdy in there trying to pair off or show off or something! I need to split them up or give them more space pronto. Is all this behavior normal? Would they be doing this even if they had more space?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not sure, but my two pairs in the 29g are definitely not happy sharing the space now that they have wigglers to protect, and they were pretty aggressive leading up to the actual mating too. Maybe if you have a mated pair, those are the only angels to keep in that tank?
I'm selling one pair of mine (sniff, sniff), as they are not only attacking the other pair, but all four are going berserk on everyone else in the tank . . . .

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Some advice needed. I started to introduce the powdered fry food along with the bbs, and a couple of feedings with just the powdered food. The fry, my spoiled babies, are not eating the powdered food at all. Do I do a 'tough love' and only feed them the powdered food, or keep on with the mixture?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you can try what you described.
I had swordtail fry that I reared to 1 month using live microworm and sometimes BBS. they were reluctant to start eating crushed flake, but they broke in after the 3rd day...those are live-bearers though and they will eat anything. idk about angel fry :(

Jan 13, 2010
meth blue?

ok, all my fry died a couple days ago BUT my beautiful mama angel laid more eggs today. This time I hope to get it right. I cannot find a product called meth blue anywhere around here and am wondering if this is the blue liquid used to treat ich?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
YouTube - angelfish fry with parents

Hi all:
Here is another crappy video showing fry about ready to swim away, but mum and dad still trying to corral them. You can see they are now silver/white - their yolk sacs are almost gone, as opposed to the pic here of the other spawn a few days younger that still show the yellow.

Attachments

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
ok, all my fry died a couple days ago BUT my beautiful mama angel laid more eggs today. This time I hope to get it right. I cannot find a product called meth blue anywhere around here and am wondering if this is the blue liquid used to treat ich?
I didn't use any meth blue, and while about half of my fry died within a few days of hatching, the rest seem to be doing well. I gather that the meth blue is to prevent fungus? I let the parents stay with the eggs until they were wriggling, so they were dilligently cleaning them by mouth and blowing on them to facilitate the hatching; when I moved the wrigglers to their own tank, I did at least 15% water changes daily, sucking up as much detritus as possible to keep the tank very clean. Maybe this would work for you if you can't find meth blue? Or maybe it was just my beginner's luck (though not sure that 50% survival rate can be called 'luck').

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should only use methylene blue on eggs. Once they've reached wiggler stage, there's no need for it. I've heard you can also use hydrogen peroxide, but I've always used meth blue. You only add meth blue that if you're removing the eggs from the parents. If you leave the eggs with the parents, they fan the eggs and remove infertile ones, etc.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I was cruising some youtube videos of angelfish and noticed quite a few showing the parents and free-swimming fry happily hanging out in their own tank. In my community tank, the minute my fry are old enough to swim away, someone else chomps them up, so it made me wonder for the next time I want to raise angelfish fry: is my 5g too small to put two of my adult parents in when they are about to breed along with some breeding material, or alternately if they just have bred, and I put them in along with the eggs?

Jan 13, 2010
I just put mama angel in a small tank with her eggs to see if she would look after them and well, when she started eating them (out of stress possibly) I took her out again. BAD mama........so I will try this without mama and no meth blue.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Question about the sponge filter: I've had it in there for three weeks, the fry that survived are, well, surviving ( most are eating the powdered food!), and I'm trying to keep the water clean of any gunk with my 15% water changes daily, siphoning off the detritus from the bottom of the tank. However, the sponge filter is looking pretty brown - should I change the sponge soon, or wait for a little longer?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
'Nother question about feeding my angelfish fry. They are now - at least most of them - accepting the powdered food, and I am still feeding BBS once or twice a day. What else should I be feeding my young angelfish fry - I think they should be growing a wee bit faster than they currently are.
Thanks!