Angelfish fry

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
some hatched fry will be too small for live BBS. the second week of their life is probably when you could feed them.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
What do they eat in the meanwhile then? I think their yolks sacs are completely gone. What I've given them over the last two days is frozen baby brine shrimp - only a few seem to be eating though.
But meanwhile, I started a batch of live brine shrimp eggs tonight - hoping they will be ready in the next 24-36 hours.
Cheers,
Laura

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Oooh, okay - maybe that will give them something in the meantime before the live BBS are hatched. They don't seem to be really responding to the frozen BBS.
Would some moss or a decaying broad leaf be best?

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Should I see them eventually gravitating to the moss and nibbling on it? I've now put a bit in, secured to a rock with an elastic band. Thanks Lotus et al. for all your advice, and putting up with my noobie momma questions. I'm sure they will keep coming, but also, I hope, along with good news stories!
BTW - I've taken up four dead fry total out of the lot so far. The rest keep on aswimmin'. They just aren't really eating :(

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
not eating is a bad sign. I've lost my very first Betta fry batch recently cuz the little buggers wouldn't even eat microworms...
I can suggest Hickari First Bites or Liquifry #1 for your angel fry? for the first week or so that should be good..

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Okay, update: Tonight I definitely saw at least some of the fry eating the frozen brine I fed them - my live BBS haven't hatched yet. Some I also saw 'attempt' to eat - as in, suck it in and immediately spit it out. (Too big? Not tasty enough?) Everything is so darn small it's pretty hard to see exactly what's going on, but I am heartened to have actually witnessed a handful eat and not spit out. And most of the fry are swimming around in the swirl of food, acting excited. So will keep on with daily water changes and using the turkey baster to suck up detritus from the tank floor, crossing fingers and toes that most will eventually eat either the frozen, or when ready, the live BBS.
(So preoccupied with my new babies that I'm not even upset the US just beat Canada in the World Junior Hockey Championship ;) )

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
It took way too long for me to have any live BBS (I posted a help! thread in the New Freshwater forum earlier this evening about it). But late this evening I thought I saw a few of the BBS had hatched. I scooped out some in a fine filter, swished it into my fry tank, and, lo! An hour later I can see many of my angel fry have yellow bellies! Which I believe means that they have ingested the BBS? Also, they are now swimming about around the top of the tank water, instead of around the bottom. Not all of the fry are doing this, but I'm guessing about 20-25?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
superb :D . the top swimming yellow bellly fry have found new energy and spending it. the bottom swimming and still looking for food . might take time for them to take bbs.

I could not manage to hatch BBS, i guess it hatched v early instead of 24 hours and all i got was white soup and lots of shells , instead of bbs hatchlings. will try one more time i guess.

Good going so far laura :)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Sigh. I've had quite a die-off in the past day. I'm thinking about 18 fry are motoring around with good full yellow bellies. Quite a few sad corpses on the bottom of the tank. Guess maybe I didn't get the live bbs into them soon enough?
How scrupulously clean should the tank bottom be? I've been trying to suction up as much of the detritus as I can, but it by no means totally bare . . . .

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
keeping the bottom clean is the mosttt tiring part, I am loosing my patience by keeping it clean. mostly because i have approx 200 + fry's, they have grown in size from tiny eye-lashes to 10-11 mm size and it became impossible to clean the tray without sucking up a fry here and there, so i have divided them into two tray's now.

I guess now the one floating with full belly's will poop more :D . so more cleaning.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Yes, cleaning the bottom of the tank is tiring - and as my fry are still so small, as you say, about the length of a very short (and translucent!) eyelash, I have to be very, very careful not to take any of them up. And as my brood is shrinking, I feel I can't afford to lose an extra one or two.
I do wish I had learned how to hatch bbs earlier on in this process. Do you think if my new batch isn't ready, the fry would take some of the frozen bbs I have to tide them over?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you should a had some microworms going (a constant culture) before all this. the micros grow constantly and can be used a filler in between your BBS hatchings..

frozen is better than nothing..

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
those are some big fry :0
good thing you can actually see such fry eating things (i could never tell what my Betta fry ate, and whether they ate what i gave them...)