Show-off Your Bettas Here!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
nice Betta :)
He looks a lot like Hurricane (My first Betta that lived for 2 years :0. this was when i was 11 and knew nothing about fish keeping:) )

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Hey, guys! After I lost Carlisle at the beginning of this week, I swore I wasn't going to get any more male bettas until the current tank juggling was completed. HOWEVER, one of my best friends saw a gorgeous male delta tail betta in Petco and bought him for me, after she remembered that I had just lost Carlisle and had room for a new boy. This boy is GORGEOUS! His color doesn't show well in these pics 'cuz they're from my camera phone and the light on the tank is a little CFL lamp that I had extra from my desk (the actual hood for the 10gal he's in is on the new 20gH for right now). So, without further ado, here's Emmett!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I love how Petco always labels their bettas "Dealt tail" and they can be of a huge number of kinds.
Your's seems to be either a feather-tail or a rose-tail...is his tail split in two or is that just look like that in the pics?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
It just looks like that in the pics. His tail forms a perfect 180 degree spread, it's just that the edges are a little ragged. They aren't ragged like he's had an injury, though.

Okay, so we may have a winner with the feather-tail! I'm pretty sure that's it! Thanks, Newman!

Lightning - as named by my two year old ;)

He is in my 20 gal long, tetra based community tank and does great! I have had him only about two weeks. I love his coloring and it is funny when he sees his reflection he sometimes flairs out like he is going to attack "the other fish" in the glass when so far he hasn't actually attacked himself.... I really need to catch a picture of that! Silly Beta's maybe he is just posing like body builders do or something seeing how intimidating he can look.... who knows. They can have such personalities sometimes it's kinda scary.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Beautiful boy! They seriously think there's another male invading their territory, so they flare to scare him away when they see their reflection. On of my boys used to do it when I first got him. My little feathertail does it when I walk up to the tank. He has SUCH an attitude!

Thanks and yea they've got attitudes.... mine is so spoiled about being in a community tank I almost have to hand feed him. He has three options -- just which ever works for him for that day: I will feed him either before or after the other fishies eat or while they are occupied eating in another area of the tank as so not to disturb Mr. Lightning. Heaven forbid he should share or that he ever think that they share what he is eating ;) It's like he's Mr. Stuck-up or something. Notice in the first photo just below and to the right of him you can just see the eyes and a bit of the striping of a Zebra Dano. In my 20 long I have:

5 Harlequine Rasboras
4 Zebra Danos
4 Neon Tetras
2 Flame Tetras
2 Peppered Cory Catfish
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Otocinclus Catfish alge eater

Lynn

Dec 14, 2009
England
Freshwatergal i need your help,, in your last pic i saw you have some Elodea in the pic, yours looks so good ! mine is growing,, slowly,, but some of the leaves are a yellow colour and the plant is refusing to grow roots ! i push it in the gravel and ive tried many other techniques but they just dont stay there, i wake up the next morning after replanting them and they will be floating up the top again,, what do i do ??

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
If I may answer, jamiejay...you can tie a pebble/rock to the base of the plant and then push it into the gravel (they make plant anchors, but a rock and some fishing line is cheaper ;) ). It sounds like someone in your tank is uprooting the elodea. I have red ludwigia in one of my 10gals and my guppies kept pulling it out of the gravel, so I finally gave up and let it float at the top. It's been doing well with growing roots just floating there as well. They pulled up my anacharis as well and I just let it float, too.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Come come. Flash's demise wasn't entirely your fault. He hadn't displayed an inclination to jump the entire time you've had him, had he? Besides, the hole was smaller than anyone would have thought the little bugger could have gotten out of!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
oh please! Come on Newman, that was NOT your fault. It's exactly as Bass says. It was his choice, and he hadn't shown any signs of jumping out, until you found him. Is it my fault that a neon jumped out of my 20? Not really. Is it your fault Flash jumped out? NO! definitely NOT!