biggest thread on this website

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Cories do better in schools of 5 or more, 3 is the minimum I go. The cories behavior your seeing may be because he has no other cories, but I personally think cories are the ugliest catfish I have ever seen so i dont have much personal experience with them :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have four peppered cories in my 29gal and they are pretty calm and don't move around that much (at least not while I'm watching). I have one albino in the 55gal and one panda in the 20gL and both of them rarely stop moving (especially the albino in the 55gal...his favorite thing to do is surf the current from the spray bar).

You want a fun catfish, get a South American bumblebee cat. I have one in the 29gal (although I haven't seen him in a couple of days...) and he is like a little Hoover vacuum!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have four peppered cories in my 29gal and they are pretty calm and don't move around that much (at least not while I'm watching). I have one albino in the 55gal and one panda in the 20gL and both of them rarely stop moving (especially the albino in the 55gal...his favorite thing to do is surf the current from the spray bar).

You want a fun catfish, get a South American bumblebee cat. I have one in the 29gal (although I haven't seen him in a couple of days...) and he is like a little Hoover vacuum!
Thanks bass, i totally forgot to say the ones I do have, 4 albinos, are very calm as well. So it would seem that they are calmer in groups but that is expected with schooling fish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
For the OP who asked if anyone had a youtube account, I have a channel devoted to my aquariums and fish:
YouTube - robotron5000's Channel

Its all my FW stuff for now. I havent updated this channel in a while so things have changed. like my 10 gallon has become a nano reef and i also have since started a 3gallon reef as well. Maybe someday soon I will make videos of those tanks and put them up on my channel :)
But for any who are interested, do check out my channel. make comments if you feel like it lol.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
how much does the South American bumblebee cat cost at your lfs
I got mine at Walmart, but they had no clue what he was (they thought he was a striped raphael cat). I paid $7 for mine, but I've seen them on thatpetplace.com for about $3 plus shipping, and on cichlidstation.com for $7 plus shipping, so somewhere in between should be about right.

Microglanis poecilus "South American Bumblebee Catfish" | Catfish | Freshwater Fish | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com

CICHLID STATION Buy Live Fish Direct Buy Cichlids African Cichlid Fish Sale

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
how much does the South American bumblebee cat cost at your lfs
There's a 5" Bumblebee Catfish on Aquabid for $10 right now.
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

If you're looking for a Bumblebee Cory there doesn't seem to be any there. Corydoras Reynoldsi/Tukano are what they're called, but nobody seems to be selling them right now. Google just changed up their pages, so the whole "shopping" page is missing. Stupid google.

Edit: I found the google shopping page. I get nil for corydoras tukano/reynoldsi.

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
There's a 5" Bumblebee Catfish on Aquabid for $10 right now.
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website
That's the wrong kind of bumblebee cat. lol There are two types...the Asian bumblebee catfish (which is larger at almost 6" and looks different than my guy):
Pseudomystus siamensis • Bagridae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

and the South American bumblebee catfish (which is what I have and recommended to freash_water_monster):
Microglanis iheringi • Pseudopimelodidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Ah, okay. I thought he was asking about corys, not legit cats.

I'm contemplating changing my gravel to sand, but don't want to screw things up. Will your standard pleco and/or standard kuhli loach be okay with the generic gravel you'd get from Petsmart? I'd rather not rip them to shreds.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Plecos don't normally hang out on the substrate (at least neither of mine do...they're rarely, if ever, off the driftwood) and kuhlis are fine with gravel (that's what they have them in at Petsmart). I had my kuhlis in with pea gravel (1/2-3/4" gravel) and they were fine.

LOL! I suggested that he get a South American bumblebee cat 'cuz he was looking for a cool bottom-feeder catfish that would fit in his 40gal. I love my Grover!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
@ FWM: I took a look at your channel. cool stuff there. I can see you used to keep guppies in the 40 gal, did you get sick of them or something?
Funny how you tried to get the pleco to go on your hand but the plec was not having any of that xD

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I purchased my SA bumblebee cats at petsmart for like 4 a piece, that was a few years ago but i doubt the price has changed much. The only bad thing is I never saw mine during the day, I went for more than a month without seeing mine unless i moved his hiding places during cleaning.