Newman's 40 Gallon Planted Tank

What do you think of the tank as a whole?

• "I don't really understand what youre doing here...it looks weird"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • "The idea is half decent, but could use some improvements"

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • "Overall it looks natural and good"

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • "Awsome habitat for the fish and looks outstanding"

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I have never owned Angels nor any real acidic fish in my tank (aside from maybe otos if you consider those).
The second angel was found today, still alive but looking a bit worse than before. maybe it wont make it. still have 2 right now.

I had these angels for 3 weeks now. 2 are left, soon to be 1 i think. they were and still are black. though their skin does have white film/powder/later line is white/ its really hard to describe their skin condition. its not obvious fungus its really odd, i cannot put a word on it. they seem fine, black except it looks like their slime coat is kinda powdery white...kind of like the skin on this pictured fish. you can see the faint white outlines and glint and stuff I'm talking about:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sorry to hear your angels are having trouble. Maybe it's just this particular bunch from your lfs? Can't think of an actual disease that might cause the skin condition you describe - sounds more like they are fading out from generalized stress.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes you know they are active and fine, until eventually one always drops off and just dies out.
I currently have the biggest one doing ok and eating well and the smallest is picking fights with the biggest, but isnt eating. theyre too small to really understand which is male and which is female, so i cant tell if i have both sexes now or not. even if they were opposite sex i'm sure they would still fight tho, wouldnt they?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes to all of the above. I would only plan to keep 2 of them when full grown. but that is no longer possible, the second one died today leaving the largest and strongest of the bunch.
so if this one angel makes it idk what I am going to do. I just darn hope it stays alive and grown nicely.

if this last angel doesnt work out, i am going to give up angels for the time being. The only other color morph i like is zebra pattern but those are rare for w/e reason in my LFS.

I will eventually get some jumbo swordtails or jumbo platies if this doesnt work...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
is the plant you're talking about in my tank? if so then what you mean is my vals. some of them can grow very broad leaves for w/e reason. they are simple red jungle vals.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
It looks very natural looking, and am sure it is a great habitat that the fish love... But personally, I think that's too much plant. I like to keep things simple, and those plants just look like they are growing out of control. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they are growing that well, and the tank looks to be healthy.. Just IMO I like a bit simpler looking arrangements.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm with you here Tim, I think this tank needs a major rescape. I'm currently plotting something.

For now I'm just growing stuff out, maybe someday soon ill trade most of the plant matter in for credit at my LFS and buy the materials i need for the rescape.

Right now the tank looks 2x as filled with plants as those last pictures lol. I do trim the vals but theyre taking over.

The last angel has survived and is doing well. all 7 cories are doing good. still have 4 SAEs, one otocinclus, the 4 ruby nerites and a bunch of wild molly juveniles.

I'll try to post up at least one more FTS of what it looks like now before I do the major rescape.

The rescape will call for a bunch of DW stacked to make an actual wall as the background of the tank. then things like moss and java ferns will be grown on the various DW pieces.

Possible future fish may include a pair of electric blue rams or one electric blue and one gold ram. Does any one think that a pair of both colored rams will be able to live in my 40 gal? I personally think it will not work due to a smaller floor plan, plus the 7 cories and an angel, but I would like others' opinions too.

Also does anyone think that even a single ram will have issues with my angel? I am not getting the rams anytime soon, so the angel will probably grow big before i get them.
Thanks for any input guys.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have a GBR and an angel together, Newman, and they're fine. In fact, my GBR follows the angel around sometimes when the angel is "enforcing" the tank "rules" and acts like his little strong-arm tough. :p Yup, I've got the fishy Italian mafia right in my 55gal. lol

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thanks for the comment. Though your tank is a 55, much more space than mine. do you still think it wouldnt matter? what about a pair (I like electric blues and the gold varieties best)? would a pair be ok with all the other fish i have in here?(mollies will be exchanged at my LFS).
Also what about a pair of each, the gold and the electric blue variety? probably too much right?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I really think one pair of either the electric blues OR the golds would be fine, but not both. Not enough space for each pair to set up their territories without them overlapping.

Keep in mind that the ram(s) are going to be staying near the bottom of the tank while your angel is going to keep to the mid to upper level of the tank. I've seen my angel near the bottom of the tank once (he was exploring the clay pots I'd added) and I've only seen my GBR more than 3-4" off the bottom of the tank maybe twice (even during feeding time he waits for the pellets to sink).