My Tank is filled with eggs.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Okay. my goldfish girl orangina was being chased by male 'popeye' from last week or so but I never saw her giving eggs. i knew the eggs should be transparent etc.

today. i saw that chase ritual again in morning , as i woke up and sat in front of tank getting my morning tea and internet etc for 1+ hours.

Later i went near tank and it was floating with tiny transparent balls . lots stuck to plants , some on filter inlet pipes , i mean everywhere. i was flabbergasted .

I cant take plants out now, no other tank to put. the eggs are stuck on floating leaves too (the one which both goldies peck out and dont eat) and LOTS on plastic-sponge-filter which i can easily take out . if i throw water or try to see will the eggs float again or not, the eggs are STUCK, they just dont move by splashing water.

Now the only thing i can do is, take the plastic filter out (if u have seen my vids i have plastic oldschool sponge filter) and put it in the 3 gallon bowl that i have. i first transferred water from the main-tank to this bowl first, covered the bowl with a cloth so the temp. doesnt fluctuate, then moved that filter and some floating leaves to this bowl.

Now what should i do? i read some stuff on thegap.org and got small info, it seem it will take 2 days to hatch (eyes/spines etc) then what should i feed? powder food i guess. Should i get thermometer to maintain some temp? its not fluctuating much here , keeps around 74-80 F (the night gets v cold outside home ).

I am not ready for so much time to this tanks. but i will do my best to do whatever i can. please suggest what else should i do now?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
...i first transferred water from the main-tank to this bowl first, covered the bowl with a cloth so the temp. doesnt fluctuate...
I can't help with the gf fry but I would recommened removing the cloth off of the bowl, it'll suffocate the bowl. I wouldn't think it will do much as far as temp goes anyway.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
ofcourse, i haven't closed top at all, just surrounded the tank partially and just bought small sponge-filter for it specially, its running , the bubbles were too huge and shaking water, i have slowed it down by putting small sponge to make smaller bubbles.

I am not focused to make all fry survive. lets nature take its course :)

But of-course i am looking for all small tips by anyone :D i wont mind doing something extra for this fry's , as possible from me .

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
that is a good reading. try to follow that as close as you can. obviously you dont have a 20 gal tank to work with. also i advise you just put one drop of methylene blue into the 3 gal bowl. keep the water level below 6 in like it says.
you can feed with w/e you feel is small enough to swallow. i think hickari first bites might work.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
ya newman , trying to follow that. lets see. i dont see much hope to this eggs. i will be extremely extremely surprised to see even 1 hatched fry etc (cause i have no idea about temp. in that small bowl) . but keeping my fingers crossed.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Here's my take on GF eggs. If you aren't really wanting to breed them, let the parents eat them. I know this sounds harsh, and its hard to let eggs go. However, having had GF spawn, my experience was this. They are messy, high maintenence fry and you will likely get unattractive, pond fish as a result of your hard work. Goldfish broods are culled brutally to get the pretty little fish we buy. I think something like 95% of GF are culled from each spawning by breeders. I can tell you my fish were pretty fantails and their babies were bland, comet tails that got huge. I don't bother with their eggs anymore. And since your fish are not even them same type of GF, I think it even more likely that you will get very wild types as a result.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I don't want you to make alot of effort to be disappointed. And maybe my experience is not the norm.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Thanks BeckyD , No your reply wasnt a downer at all.

* I really dont want any fry's to breed into big fish.
* I know i wont get pure-breed colored babies.
* Yea , i let the fish eat almost all the eggs, nothing emotional about that, i see that tank as glassed small pond in nature. I know goldies eat the eggs.

Why did i save some eggs stuck on a filter?

Well i got fascinated seeing the eggs first time, so its just to experience what happens when some eggs are saved. I even got surprised to see the eggs once stuck to any surface just dont come off, no matter what you do. so i took that filter out into another tank.

I know there are almost zero chance to get any fry's survive into small/big fish. I know there are almost zero chances to see colorful off-spring. But i just want to experience what happens when i let some eggs save and see how nature takes it course and if there is a random anomaly of some beautiful off-spring coming out of this fry then of course , it will be miraculous and a keeper otherwise , will be giving any lucky surviving fry's small goldies to LFS and get something in exchange.

BTW becky, your suggested culling ratio among goldies breeders sounds V V harsh. i really dont think there can be such a huge ratio of 95% ugly off-spring in that breeded fry's. Otherwise, wont goldies cost HUGE? i see here, the goldies are extremely cheap and almost all have 1inches to 4 inches max goldies (the comets and shorukin's are larger) and they cost v cheap, only the large ones are sold at around 5 dollars , rest small ones are max at 2 dollars.

UPDATE: after almost 48 hours, i dont see any eggs hatched , but the water in concave bowl is extremely hard to see , specially under the filter and behind the sponge , i wont even know if there are small fry's .

Yesterday at night, i had torch on the eggs, in some eggs, i saw black dot rotating inside the egg randomly, is this life activity? i dont know, today i dont see those eggs at all that same spot. there are some v small leaves floating at one corner of tank, i wont even notice if some are there or not.

lets see, i will keep watch , filter is on at small speed. i will change 20% of water replacing it from main tank, i will make sure i have covered the siphon with some cloth when taking water out, so i don't pull out any fry's or eggs.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Update: (after approx 48 - 55 hours now)

I came home, went near tank. its dark here right now. i got tiny flashlight and tried to shine it on bowl to see whats the status. I see Tiny things with shiny eyes DART here there , towards the floating leaves and dark spong at bottom :D :D :D :D :D :D *DRUMMER* *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS

I started counting , i think i may have seen some 8-10 tiny mosquito like things with two dots shining in light, which i am sure are eyes. i see more eggs at bottom on that plastic thing. let see . I have read even giving some drops of milk after 3 days will help them, then after 7 days, i have to start on first bites powder food. I am going to get that in 2 days by that time i am sure they will be more visible to take some pics.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
nuuu, dont do tha milk. you dont want to foul the water in any way for now. they will be fine with a live plant in there, since live plants often harbor infusoria which they will eat. first bites i think should work eventually.
water quality is just as important as food remember.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Well good! Its always fun to see eggs hatch anyway. I don't know if my culling thoughts are exaggerated. I hope so. It doesn't make sense. I just thought I read that somewhere. I could certainly be wrong, even though my fry experience fit right in with that:( I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get some pretty ones. Oh, and they must be easy to raise because I had no clue what I was doing when I had them:)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
@newman, Thankss man, i need to keep you on my twitter or something :D lolz. ok no milk. i going to buy that firstbites or similar thing available here.

@beckyd , Ya fingers crossed. lets see. I also hope i get some pretty ones. otherwise, will donate to LFS , i see he has some big oscars in his show tanks.

Update: after 3 days, i now see bowl surface filled with tiny hair like things with two dots, this fry's are totally translucent so cant take any pic. I counted them around 30 now just on glass surface , clinging themself and suddenly rapidly going to water surface then coming down. I have no idea how much are there among the leaves i have kept in (which i presumed was filled with eggs too on Day 1). Just did small 20% water change from main tank.

The thing about this experiment is, I am doing all this All-Natural , no temperature control, no light control etc. except small water changes + tiny winy sponge-filter giving out bubbles . Lets see how this goes with my local season here, its supposed to be winter but cold-temps already vanished, its back to pleasant avg. 25 deg.cel. now. the nights are ofcourse slightly colder.

Wish me luck ! :D

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Update: I got some powder food for them, going to mix them in water first (taken from tank) shake it very well, then try to give, maybe tomorrow or day after tomorrow. I have no idea when to give food, but i know some have hatched earlier and are already 72 hours old now. I saw many new ones yesterday (and i mean LOTS) and they are just barely 48 hours old.

NOTE: Mods, i think this should be moved to 'BREEDING' sub-forum, i just noticed that.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
heelllooooo Newman!!! :p

damn, i read that in voice of Morgan freeman "This can mean poisoning, or insufficient aireation". :|

heh, actually, i know i cant blow huge bubbles in water, that shakes it a lot and i read thats not idle condition for fry at all. so what do i do? I take out ~2 liters (almost 30%) of water from this bowl (With extreme careful siphoning , i wrap a silk cloth on end of pipe which i dip in siphon and control water flow so it siphons really slowly) and then refill the water from my main tank, that water is in pristine condition with lots of aerated oxygen in it (i use Million bubbles 6 inch airstone strip in main tank), I am doing this daily. :D

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
results were same , all okay, same with main tank, water is crystal clear too.

going to add a vid soon, I tried to wipe bowl before taking vid, it made worse, the bowl wasnt clear.

BTW, there are lots of frys hanging around and dashing here there, when i come near them. BAM!, the vanish, are goldfish fry's reallly scared bunch? i think they dash at bottom or inside the floating leaves/branch etc. only some keep swimming near the glass where i see .

vid coming soon.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
YouTube - Goldfish fry/babies (rescued) in my old miracle bowl

That bowl is dirty from outside, sorry. i hope you can find the fry's in the vid.

BTW i am going to video blog this, hope it helps other if they have fry someday.

If I manage to make them adult/mature , I seriously need to be given some award, you have no idea how I am managing to juggle all balls here. I am closing a payment deal on my new house, in middle of job change, and lots of other stuff.