My Tank is filled with eggs.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Done, I crushed Algae flakes into fine powder yesterday, it floated on top. they were coming for it.

Update:
Today in morning (right now), I gave them powdered spirulina pellets (totally powdered). after a hour i came to see whats going with them. I can literally see many big fry's belly full and even some feces trail from their cloaca , was amazing to see their bellies, totally transparent.

After a 1 or 2 hr , going to make water change too. did that early in morning too.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
good going. sound slike some will make it. there are always going to be runst though that will be out competed, and those will die, hence why you should do water changes and remove any dead fry.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
UPDATE:

so it seems i am not going to take care at all of this fry-bowl. I have sister and some family members visit house now and then, I have 2 yr old niece at home, demands utter and complete attention from me, i am barely able to feed main-tank on time. i make powder from algae flakes and put that in this fry-bowl . the fry's are vanishing fast, yesterday , i somehow managed to clean that bowl and replace it with fresh water (from main-tank) the old water was almots white in colour (i guess ammonia spike) .

Now i see only few (maybe 6-8 ) BIG fry's this are almost more than 1 cm long, i can see transparent body, big eyes, stomach and now they have small-visible pectoral fins too and the tail-fin has split too, they swim very comfortably . Also, I see another 8-10 tiny baby fry's. i dont know are they new born fry's (late hatchers) or they are not eating, they are not developed at all and keep pecking on plant as if trying to eat something from the plants.

The plant has some furry growth (visible now), the fry's dash on this furry growth and i think they are eating it. they like that algae powder too ( i crush it so much that it becomes dust and when i have to put that in tank, i have to stop ceiling fan so they dust doesnt blow away, its that fine. the fry's totally like it because after a hour, i see their belly full of red algae.

I have no idea how is this going to end. i hope i see matured fish soon , atleast by month end. if this fry's survive :( . i really wish i was prepared for this and had some time and space and special pan to take care of this fry's. well , maybe next time.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Well, i think i suck at counting, Suddenly I am seeing many as before , with just 3-4 dead fry's till now.

I see many getting larger in size, I finally got Dried-Baby-Fish-Feed sachets, its kind of faint-brownish powder, very fine, i put that in tank,2-3 times a day, with 50%water change from main tank.

I see almost all fry's have kindof full-belly now after they feed (not like last week where i couldnt even see did they eat or not). i see lots of big fry's are developing split at their tail-fins and they are more comfortable swimming around ( the v small ones wiggle a lot ).

By start of Jan , I will see many developed fry's (instead of this totally transparent fry's).

later everyone.

Last edited:

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Update:

so this fry bowl in its second week now and i really feel stretched taking care of it.

Last 2 days, i wasnt able to clean tank or change water, thats why , i wasnt even able to see or count them and i thought i lost many.

Today. I finally took out all leaves and saw because of over-feeding algae-flake-crush, it had all settled on bottom and on sides , with spongy growth growing on it and on leaves, the water was smelling really BAD, i carefully clean the sides and bottom of tank and changed almost 70% of water.

Now i see LOTS of fry's with full belly etc. they are springy and lively. tomorrow morning, when the sun shines in my room, will take a vid.

now i am only going to give them fry-feed which is really powdery and doesnt mess up tank.

I am kinda surprised the fry's didnt vanish in such a messy water.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
smelling bad? sounds like either spiking nitrates or even worse a nitrite spike. i know its tough to change water frequently, but seems your doing your best, dont give up. also water shouldnt spoil that fast unless soemthign died in it. make sure youre taking any dead fries out because they will kill everything else in the tank.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
i saw 2 dead fries when changing water yesterday, and the smell was v bad, the sponge on the filter was extremely bad, i smelled it and it totally knocked me off. i didnt put that sponge back , just small airstone now but i cut off the sponge in slice to place it at top of air-stone, this prevents the water from shaking, i saw the fries didnt like shaky water and made it difficult to eat surface floating feed etc.

water is okay now as replaced from main tank. BTW now that main tank has more than 14 days old water, need to change that partially, it is crystal clear but still.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
After 10 days Update:

YouTube - Goldfish fry after 10 days of spawning

You can see they are now fully visible with belly and eyes and tail, when they were 24 - 48 hours, i could barely see them , they were just some 2-3 mm long, now they are almost 1 cm long.

here are some pics if you dont want to see vid.

Picture1 : ~ 24-48 hours old , only FEW fry's. see Left-corner for some fry's.

Picture2: ~ 10 days old, Visible eyes,belly, split in tail. near water surface.

My weird digicam is bad at taking indoor pics but somewhat better at video, so I recommend checking youtube.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they look cool with those split tails!
remember if you have live wisteria in there it needs light or it will die. if you see any dieing wisteria leaves, remove them or they will foul the water fast.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
yea , plenty of light near window. as u might have seen . there is direct sun in morning for them , for atleast 2-3 hours. they are doing very nice actually, bright green leaves and all, in-spite of just floating in that bowl, that really is a miracle bowl i must say. :D

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
UPDATE:

This is Day13-14 for most fry's, today morning , i visited the bowl in morning and I saw huge change, Now almost all fry's have gained some colour, very dark brown or blackish colour, as if they have finally developed skin and pigmentation.

Now they are no longer invisible bodies with eyes but dark fry's , v easy to spot and count and they are in big numbers , not just 10-15 like i used to assume. still cant count all, because many keep going into leaves when i am near them.

Cant take pic, will post vid/pic update on monday i guess. v busy house right now, niece smashed the camera too, but it turns on now, hope it can still take vid's pics etc.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Update:

Well. my Main Community-Tank was really busy with spawning activity, Popeye and orangina were celebrating christmas i guess, they were in spawning frenzy, the new goldie too got excited. I had a spawning mop tied at corner of tank , (just got a thick nylon rope, and loosened its threads to make a spongy floating thing). i saw lots of eggs on it so removed it from tank and its in a plastic tray with 4-5 inches on water from main-tank.

Another spawning and i am not going to care for any eggs. (i hope to keep that promise to myself).

The Miracle bowl is going good. I see almost 30 fry's some of them totally THIN (maybe not able to eat? or late bloomers?) the wisteria stems were giving extremely fowl smell , so i did not put them back in bowl or main tank, simply threw them off and i got 2 thin wisteria stems from main tank and placed in tank, floating.

Cant wait for them to become 2-3 months old and I hope to have atleast 4-5 healthy goldies from this 1st lot.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Sounds like things are going well with the baby goldies, even if a bit hectic for you. Sorry about your camera, but I am sure you are enjoying your niece. Is your popeye a black? It will be interesting to see their color develop and how many of them get those eyes. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to update. I just love following a bowl of developing goldfish in India. What a wonderful time of technology we live in:)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
actually, Now that i have removed ALL plants (because the fowl smell is not leaving the bowl) i can see all fry's, they are still transparent skinned , meaning no scale formation at all, just opaque body, but i can clearly see very dark inner-body structure , specially the intestine lines from mouth to big red belly etc. that is making the body appear darker or easier to spot, plus they have grown in size. can count easily .

So far (during past 2 weeks) i have removed 4-6 bodies from the water during cleaning. hope i dont loose anymore but i wont be surprised , because some fry's are v v small and thin, maybe late bloomers or slow eaters. i am sure as the fry's get bigger they will cope more easily and in 2-3 months, i should see proper goldfish batch swimming around.

BTW : YouTube - Goldfish Breeding - Kuwait < found this amazing vid posted by a girl in kuwait, really gives nice pointers on goldfish fry growth timeline.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Massive Update :-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TLDR;

*Original batch now 3 weeks old, half fry gone now 17 left, growing good and healthy as removed from Dirty bowl to 3 inch deep plastic tray

* New batch of Dec-25, Only some hatched as i checked in 48-72 (because of v low temp)in plastic tray, cannot count them in tray as its dirty due to dust collected on bottom , so i cannot distinguish between dirt dot and fry. cannot clean as i will clean everything. water is clear though and some fry's swimming around.

* TODAY Jan-2-10 : Now after new year, temp. have suddenly changed now back to 28-29cel. suddenly i saw 100's of egg's eyeing up in spawn mop (this is Dec-25 batch) so yesterday, i transferred the mops to another new plastic tray and now in morning I have around 200-300 eye-lash like fry lying in the tray. really too many to count.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Long-version follows:

So this is becoming nice journal for me, as for everyone else who must have read or will read it and interested in Goldfish breeding.

About Fry (typing that now):

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Contd:

About Nov-12-Fry-batch :

Due to holiday-week here, my house got busy, we are not Christians but we kinda celebrate the week by doing small get-together, shopping, catching family time , my b-day is dec 23 , etc etc. So, it was impossible to even look at the bowl and see how fry are doing, forget about taking total care, I still somehow managed to see my goldies spawning on mop on dec-25.

But this Miracle bowl kept getting cloudy no matter how many times I attempted to clean it and do 70% water change , it smelled awful when I lowered on it , I threw plants off, still it smelled bad and to stop fry's dying off at bottom, I transferred them to a plastic tray (12 inches x 10 inches) but I was not able to keep that clean this tray too (fed them more i guess and couldnt sponge off the remaining food) so fry's kept dying (atleast 1 per day) but since past 2 days, I have finally managed to clean it up regularly with water-change from main tank, I had to finesse the technique of cleaning the bottom of tray.

Now 17 fry are left, I am sure by another month I will only see 2 or maybe 5 of this batch since I managed to only catch ~ 35 eggs.

Still I learned a LOT. googling was not that much of help as there are v few posts around giving full 101 on goldfish-breeding and ofcourse the handbreeding thing is not even worth watching/reading, so forget bout learning from it.

NOW in this fry batch, I saw some fry realllly struggling to swim , so I assumed maybe they are sick or damaged and will die off, I tried to take a closee look and I see the ones wiggling LOT to go around are COMETS, so as suspected my Goldie-pair is not purebreed and mix of fantail and comet, FanCom? ComiFans ? lolz so this becomes sport breed and not pure breed. BTW the comet to fantail ratio is surprising, ONLY 3-4 fry's are comets (single vertical tail) and others are all fantail. Lets see how this goes.

About Dec-25-Fry-batch
:

I had replaced a v big spongy mop on the tank week after my first fry-batch, so I saw this spawning activity on Dec 25, this time I took the mop after 5 hours because I could not get time to remove it early, this might have been more benificial actually because the milt spread by male must have properly spread in tank, thereby fertilizing almost all eggs as compared to what I did first time.

I had already purchased extra plastic tray's so I placed this mop in new tray, roughly 16 inches x 12 inches and after 48 hours, saw some eyeing up of eggs, I tried to regulate the temp in this big tray by using aquarium heater but as the water was not circulated by any power-head, so it was warm only in one corner, I had no time to sit near this tray and move heater around, so i forgot about it and let nature do its thing.

It was nearly 5 days and I was seeing PLENTY of eggs (they did not go spongy so were fertile) but not hatching. This really confused me making me wonder what to do but i did not throw this mop off because I read on google that goldfish fry hatch in 24-72 hours.

Then suddenly after new-year night, temp. here went warmer (to a comfortable 29c) and on morning of Jan-1, I saw plenty of eyeing up in mop itself, so i moved this mop yesterday to another 12x10 tray.

Today I see the tray filled by eye-lashes(fry) trying to move and dash etc etc, They are TOOO many to count so i am guessing they are around 200 or even more actually. so lets see how this batch goes too. Wish them luck.

Will try to keep update on this, I am really not sure how will I take care of this because of work-related issues but lets see.

Last edited: