My puffer Journal

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
oh hey are those bubble wands under the filter intake? If so you might want to move it. It is horrible for the motor in your filter and it makes a lot of noise. BTW, i love the mollies in there, cool sand too!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
You can always just measure the salinity in the bucket before you add it to the tank. I'd let it sit for about 1/2 hr or so to make sure the salt is dissolved. Once you figure out how much salt to add to each bucket of water to achieve your desired salinity then just follow that from now on with replacement H20.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
You can always just measure the salinity in the bucket before you add it to the tank. I'd let it sit for about 1/2 hr or so to make sure the salt is dissolved. Once you figure out how much salt to add to each bucket of water to achieve your desired salinity then just follow that from now on with replacement H20.
would i hurt the puffers if accidently add too much salt? and just fix it with a partial water change like i have been?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
That is the beauty of a brackish environment. Brackish fish are built to withstand varying salinities...especially Figure 8 Puffers...because in nature they live in a brackish river area. The FW and SW are always combining in different amounts. The general norm is around 1.005 - 1.008. but no worries if it's higher or lower...you can always adjust it.

Last edited:

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Well, by the time you get your puffers you should have plenty of snails to feed them. I shipped them out today so they should be there in two to three days. Put them in their own small tank, keep the temp around 78 degrees, and feed them well. You will have plenty in no time!

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
wow i just caught up on this thread, i'm excited for you!! :D i also think it's awesome that you shared the experience of buying the GSPs, realizing your mistake, and returning them. that's great for others to see! i'm excited to see your new babies when they come in!

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
oh hey are those bubble wands under the filter intake? If so you might want to move it. It is horrible for the motor in your filter and it makes a lot of noise. BTW, i love the mollies in there, cool sand too!
btw i moved the bubble wand in the back to the front. Thanks for the great advice ill take pictures for you cause i rearranged the decorations.