My puffer Journal

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
im hoping for next week. I have to call on tuesday to see if their breeder will have the puffers on their list. I hope so cause i really want my puffers!!

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
Your tank looks great Rox. I have a question. I have 2 dwarf puffers and they seem to be turning white. I think they're not doing good, they haven't seemed to want to eat since I bought them (2 wks now). I feed brine shrimp, and blood worms. the bumble bee's do well, but does anyone know what puffers eat? these guys are the size of a pea.

thanks,

Ed

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
So that is just regular playsand? Thats a great idea.. and do you find it easy to siphon off the sand and do you find the sand gettin sucked into your filteer? I had this problem with aquarirum sand i bought
i havent noticed any problems with my filter sucking up too much sand and it does seem easier to maintain then aquarium sand.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
So that is just regular playsand? Thats a great idea.. and do you find it easy to siphon off the sand and do you find the sand gettin sucked into your filteer? I had this problem with aquarirum sand i bought
Regular play-sand is awesome as a substrate IMO. You need to REALLY rinse it well and let it settle before you fire up the filter otherwise it can destroy your pump and make some God-awful noise...but once it's settled it's so much easier to keep clean. I take the bottom wand part of my net and swirl around right above the sand to get any debris sirred up then switch to the net end and net out the crud. The great thing is that if you skillfully aim your powerheads, you can keep a constant flow of water swirling around and keep the crud floating before it settles on the bottom, and your filter can suck it up.

One thing also to do once every couple of weeks or so is dig in & stir it up to prevent anaerobic bacteria pockets from forming.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
ugh i just called my LFS and i swear some of them are retards. The freshwater manager isnt in yet but i left a message to remind him to put the order in for my puffers well as soon as i hung up i realized i gave them the wrong number to call me back. So i call back and talk to the exact same woman and she tried to act like i didnt know what i was talking about. ugh my puffers better be in this week

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Wow, i ask for any new word and this is the reply, i must be magic!! Awesome, i am so glad you finally got your fishees. Can we get a FTS up in here?

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
more pictures

FTS by request

they really like the tree trunk

they are doing much better still being shy and hiding alot...i fed them but they wouldnt come out while i was in the room with them so hopefully they will hav ate by now. Im pretty much in love with these lil guys. I just need names now lol