My puffer Journal

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Bad move :eek: GSP's need brackish water when they are young, and full marine as adults. They also need lots of space (30 gallons each) and get very aggressive towards each other as they get older, so you normally can't keep them together.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
im well aware of the fact that as an adult they will need full marine water i did my research. While i appreciate your advice and knowledge i had a long discussion with my LFS manager tonight and he has given me his personal phone number in case i have any questions.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmm.....I know you must be excited about the puffers but what a bummer they didn't have Figure 8's. GSP's are a totally different breed of puffers...their requirements and especially temperaments are like night and day compared to F8s :(. GSP's aren't the same lightly brackish type puffers and are downright mean to other inhabitants....especially other GSPs :( How many did you get?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Well, this tank is a temp. home for them anyway. The will be getting themselves a nice 55 soon.

I also came across this.
When selecting your aquarium calculate 1" in fish size total per 1 gallon of water. For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank you would only want to have 10" total in mature fish i.e. two 5" fish.
Nope...this isn't a reliable article IMO. They lost me at that statement. TWO GSPs in a 10 gallon tank?? For maybe 10 minutes until one of them kills the other :(.

I'm sorry, Jay & Roxy, I think the world of you two and I hope you know that, but I have to disagree. A 55 gallon would be a home for ONE GSP. They aren't the same temperament of F8s.

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Hmm, i had two GSP's in my 25, in full freshwater (thats back when i thought "aquarium salt" was good enough) for two years. Never had any aggression problems. They were a bit nippy to each other at times, but nothing major. I say go for it, and if you have any problems, call the guy.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
What happened to them after two years? They should live much longer than two years. Just because they CAN live in freshwater, does not mean that they should.

I agree with Kelly, that is not a very valid article. It says you can keep a 10" fish in a 10 gallon, which is completely ridiculous because the fish wouldn't even be able to turn around! The absolute best information on puffers can be found at www.pufferforum.com, and this information is being provided at no cost to you. They are not trying to sell you anything, they simply want what is best for the fish.

IMO, you should take them back and wait until they get some f8's. I think it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
What happened to them after two years? They should live much longer than two years. Just because they CAN live in freshwater, does not mean that they should.
Simma down now, simma down. That was like 7 years ago when i neglected my tank. I assume it was bad water. And yes, i know that they need brackish water, like i said, that was a long time ago.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
i just called my LFS and they will take my fish back and i will get full refund. He also told me that he could have some figure 8's for me next week. Idk if i should take this as a sign i shouldnt have puffers or what lol

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You could just add ammonia to your tank to keep it cycled until you have fish in it.

And I think you're meant to have your Puffers Roxy. No one wants you to not have them. I think they just really want you to get off to the right foot so that you can succeed in having happy, healthy fishes.

And god knows we've all gotten the wrong fish before!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Yay! I think you are destined to have puffers my dear.

I'd throw a molly or a couple guppies in there to keep the cycle going. Heck, the guppies might even earn their keep by being the puffers first meal when it gets in your tank! :D

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I agree with Kelly, guppies or platies. I tried mollies with my puffers, and they were really aggressive at feeding time and the puffers didn't get any food. Dwarf platies worked out really well, they took care of any leftover food and the babies made a nice snack for the puffers.