Kenny's 10gal - The Replacer!!

Apr 14, 2008
Something weird...

Pumpkin is completely back to normal, playing, and showing off.

BUT...

Yesterday, I trimmed the Cabombas/Anacharis/Ludwigia and removed floating leaves off the top[ramshorns can get a bit too excited about algae on leaves, lol], doing a 50% WC [dragging that out for the last few days because of my fear of doing anything to kill Pumpkin]...but then I hit a snag, BOTH of my algae magnent things are missing!! So, knowing alittle algae never hurt anything, I left the algae on the glass...and proceded to fill the tank...Then this morning, determined to find my algae scrappers or atleast one, I looked in the tank too see if I stupidly forgot I had one in there [I didn't of course]...but as I was looking, there were algae trails[left by the snails, making me determined to keep this D*MN algae at bay...] and worms AND hydras[green???], so something is definitely weird as I've NEVER had these before!

They are cool, but possibly dangerous so before I get the yellow shrimp, how would be the best way to kill them???

I hope my these guys aren't dangerous for tomorrow when I work on the tank adding the new plants...

OH - my 125 is close to being there! Just gotta feel up to driving 25 miles to go get it...atleast the fish in that stupid 40breeder[it's got a small chunk of glass missing...] will get a better home.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
green hydra? maybe just green strand algae that i see on my glass all the time. looks like a hydra but doesnt really have the symmetrical tenticles going around in all directions. hydra will normally be white-transparent. your betta should eat them anyway so dont worry.

Apr 14, 2008
No, definitely not algae. It can definitely move against the current[meaning on it's own] and grabs at the little white swimmy things...lol

It closely resembles Hydras atleast.

I'm no good at ID'ing micro-organisms!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wont get rid of all of the hydra and itll just grow back. plus its a major PITA, ive tried that in my 10 gal, but in the end left it for the bettas. they do a good job if theyre hungry...

Apr 14, 2008
I scraped them off the glass and I think the betta ate them, but before I disable the WLAN card in my computer[uninstalling Norton, Re- AVG] I wanted to post my plans for stocking...it is on the expensive side, but fun, I think! :)

I was also considering some Chili or Pheonix or even Neon Yellow/Green Micro-Rasboras to fill in the gaps, but doubt them...

Apr 14, 2008
Yeah, I like my snails. :D

As it turns out, none will be in my other tanks...so they'll all be in here. There will be the ones in the pond tho. I forgot I had 10 golden mystery snails and the newbie is fitting in well! He also hangs with the Colombian Ramshorns that are HUGE[he is still tiny compared to them all].

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol well if it was wisteria, then yea he likes that. he ate a good amount of mine. all snails i have enjoy eating the leaves... -_-
I think your ramshorn is still alive btw...still in his jar though with some random plants.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
No, it was a rare native plant...oh well.

However, those snails in my 10 are showing their butts recently!:

Pumpkin, of course, saying "hi". He likes the laptop better since it doesn't flash and scare him. lol Also, I think he was begging for food. :\

FTS:

IDK when those new plants should be here, but they weren't here today. :(

Apr 14, 2008
OK...so, I ripped up ALL the Marsilae and only replanted 2 runners...the rest went into the 55...

The H.C. rock went back in here as did like 30 Java Fern Rhizomes of both Regular and Needle Leaf. The little piece of Dwarf Hairgrass has thown out like 10 leaves now and the 1 byxa is now 3 along with 2 new HUGE pieces that went in place of the red/green temple plants!

Polygonum sp. 'Kawagoeanum' and Potamogeton 'Gayi' are together in between the Stargrass and Green/Sunset Hygros...Narrow Leaf Ludwigia [Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata] & Broadleaf Ludwigia [Ludwigia 'Repens'] are doing well, very surprisingly as I've never done well with them before [like the Java Ferns that I hope snap back...].

The Green Temple Plant [Hygrophila Corymosa 'Siamensis'] and Red Temple Plant [can't remember] moved by the Ludwigias, 1 bunch of an unknown plant is by the Bacopa Caroliniana...

Oh, and my Green Foxtail is exceeding my expectations and doing very well!

Some of the newer plants are floating up top with a small Floating Fern Bunch and little pieces of Duckweed....

Tank looks good...but I'm going to start getting rid of more common plants and putting in more difficult ones.