Kenny's 10gal - The Replacer!!

Apr 14, 2008
LOL - This tank's actual name is "Illusions II ["1" cracked]", but it replaced my 5.5, so, I wanted to start my journal on monitoring my "Collectoris"; a disease know by fellow plant keepers as the inability to STOP collecting plants! *BOUNCINGS

Plants ARE:
Red Root Floater [has maroon colored roots; wildly collected -- Yes, I got **REALLY** sick from collecting it] *sigh*
Floating Fern
Duckweed
Riccia
Blyxa Japonica[doing well without 2 ghost shrimp eating eat...They ate my last bunch, the goldfish ate them...]
Dwarf Babies Tears
Cabomba Caroliniana [very unhealthy, hated floating...whoops...1 single strand:rolleyes:]
Asian Ambulia
Rotala Indica [turning purple again!!*SUPERSMIL]
Ludwigia Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana [Very Small Piece!]
Potamogeton Gayi
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Rotala 'Nanjenshan'
What I'm pretty sure is Stargrass.

All that...AND, I want MORE! LOL

Fish:
1x Male Veiltail Betta

& Tons of Snails

Px will be up S-O-O-N...but for now, I'm watching the plants pearl under 40W CF...so 4WPG. Co2 is definitely in the future!

Apr 14, 2008
I never wanted Co2...but with having an air breather, why not??? It's rare bettas die from Co2 overdoses...

And yes it better be fun! I spent 4 hours today working on this tank!

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
O.M.G.!.!.!.!!!!!!!

Did you steal my betta?! He looks EXACTLY like mine. Mine disappeared sometime this week, though. I keep hoping he's somewhere in the jungle that is my 10gallon, but I've yet to find him, and my cherry shrimp are now bold and out in the open, no longer in fear... :|

He's gorgeous.

Apr 14, 2008
If by stole, you mean pay 5$ for him...Then YES!! LOL :D

I just read your 10gal journal...and guess what??!! No new px! I couldn't really make out your betta's pattern, but I'll take your word for it.

BTW...

When is your E. Tenellus 'Micro' gonna be ready??? If you would feel comfortable with it, I'd love to get some of those shrimp you talk about + the chain sword. :D

The betta could really use some scavengers and what better candidates then annoying little shrimp?!

Apr 14, 2008
Emmanuel,

For now, I can wait. :) It's alittle too late for me to order the rest of my plants I was wanting [~15+ Sp. including a very cool Eriocaulon 'Australian Blood' or E. 'Japan' or both!]...so spring will be fine...Besides, I have to get the Co2 setup before I buy many more demanding plants.

ATM, I'm just lucky to have Well Water saturated with Co2 and all that other crap...lol

As a little update for this tank, I seperated and planted the H.C. in the foreground...I was considering giving it away until I seen all the new growth & roots!

Still gotta ditch the Ludwigia tho...I've NEVER done good with that plant, yet it's soooo pretty!

And yes, I'm on TPT...lol

I setup that account in either late 2007 or *early* 2008. Looking back, I'd rather have it under this name, but...whatever.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Nice lookin tank. the betta should really be enjoying that tea-colored water. how did you do that? added driftwood, or leaves?
It's not really brown, but the light spectrum gives a slight yellow-ish tinge...since...umm...those bulbs....ummmmm...weren't made for aquarium use...lol

I did black water once using tea bags, and they loved it, the angelfish like went from the size of a dime to the size of 2 of my hands combined! lol When I went planted, I removed the tannins because it can be a bear to get enough light down to the plants when you only have 1x 20W T8 bulb and black water... [this was in my 29 a lllloooonnngggg time ago]

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
"the light spectrum gives a slight yellow-ish tinge...since...umm...those bulbs....ummmmm...weren't made for aquarium use..."

LOL?

It still looks cool. what type of light is it? flourescent or inca? and t-12 or t-8 if flourescent?

Apr 14, 2008
CF...I'm 5 watts short of overloading the fixture...lol

Incandescents only work in really small tanks, with a considerable bioload [which isn't good for the fish], IME.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
personally i tend to replace any tank that comes with inca with new flourecents. its what i did with my 2.5 (replaced 15 watt inca with 14 watt CFL)

Do you know if T-8 flourecent do anything for plants? cuz i got one bulb in my 5 gal, and some anacharis and wisteria in there...wonder if they would grow...or die on me :(

Apr 14, 2008
I've got 1x T8 20W on my 29 ATM and the plants are thriving, surprisingly! Even the Marsilea is beginning to start growing across the bottom...

I'd just use the T8 for your 5...I think it'd be a good fit. Much more & it'll be algae city...Unless you like algae...;)

Apr 14, 2008
LOL

I got my parents to do my evil bidding and get me more brown gravel! *BOUNCINGS

So, the tank should be at a good level as far as gravel goes and will have a different 'scape w/ a WC coming tomorrow.

Apr 14, 2008
CRAP! My camera is completely D-E-A-D!

I found out it doesn't do *ANYTHING* after I finished the rescape.

I don't have any money to buy a new one, so I'll try to get working again, but it's very doubtful.

OH, to top things off, while re-arranging cords/surge protectors and doing a WC on my 29, I got zapped MAJORLY...I still am having trouble trying to walk...Fish are all fine tho.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
**** man... i feel for you, i really hate getting electrocuted when im doing work *ALL* its so damn painful, but in a more annoying way than normal pain.

Hopefully youll feel better, and the camera just had a battery problem or something =/

Apr 14, 2008
Yeah, it is more annoying then painful...and it's very painful!! LOL

This was how I got shocked the first time not to long ago[It was just a zap, not a current of electricity]:

Today's mistake was by me forgetting to unplug the thingy from the wall when I pulled all the cords out...It was a 50$ battery backup surge protector...I know it was dead, or beyond saving, because it started having black smoke & arching...I was able to unplug it while still being shocked! It was a big mess!

Oh well, at least I'm finally numb...mostly...I'm not going to be doing any aquarium work anytime soon because the current jumped up my arms too[meaning, it's hard to type] and they are nice and burnt now.

PS. Fish are completely unharmed...ditto for the plants & computer...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
I replaced the SD reader & SD card in my camera and am currently charging the batteries. It works again...

Px. will be up in about 20 minutes...

You guys should see the Cabomba now! I put a few stems back from the 55, but most are from the lone piece! It's amazing how fast this plant grows under 4WPG!