Discus

R

ronrca

Easier said than done. I bought the new Marineland heaters with dual temperature dial. Works very good except if you want a temp. other than the preset setting. I will try to see if I can trade them in for some other heaters. Thanx Joe!

R

ronrca

Just spoke with a breeder that I had mentioned before and I will be picking up 6 Discus on Monday or Tuesday. Im very happy. ;D ;D

R

ronrca

He said he has some red turquoise but I guess I will see when I get there! He said that he will show me the parnets so I will know what they look they when they grow up. They are only about 3" right now!

R

ronrca

I'll try but I think he will pick them out for me more or less. He knows more about them than I do anyways. How do I know which ones are good or not?Thanks!

D

discusaquarium

http://www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium/selecting.html - maybe that could help :) tell me what you think of my website!

R

ronrca

Thanx Joe! I bought some Discus yesterday! Red Turquiose! 6 of them for $100. They are from 3" to 4.5". They are beautiful. The breeder has a very nice setup and lots of beautiful Discus. He was also very helpful and he showed me some discus that he would never sell because of flaws. I still cant get over his hatchery. He has quite a few breeding pairs. Im very glad that I found him specially for first time Discus. I'll take some pics of them when the Discus are less shy and get use to the tank. An hints Joe, in befriending the Discus? I just cannot stress it enough, how beautiful and peaceful Discus are.

D

discusaquarium

befriending - that fit nicely.  ;D try feeding some live foods to wet their appetite. that should make you guys bond in no time. what did the breeder feed them? you should always know what he's been feeding so that they continue to eat it. try what the breeder has been feeding after they warm up to the tank and their new surroundings. i might not be able to post for a few days - im going on vacation but good luck and congrats! 8) ;D im sure you will thoroughly enjoy them...and you got them for a hel l of a deal. :)
Joe

R

ronrca

How are I make the Discus less shy? There are always hiding in the corners behind plants, sometimes peeking out! Is it just a matter of time or is there something I can do besides feeding. Since I bought them on Monday, yesterday I left the lights off all day and did not feed them. Im sure that they are getting hungray. Any tips?? I also introduced my male Ram into the 90G yesterday.

D

discusaquarium

they are still new to the tank - so that is bound to happen. try and minimize the traffic around the tank, as if it might spook them. if you only come to the tank when it's feeding time they'll be out in no time. then, what you can do is just walk in - then they'll be out and looking for food....pigs.

R

ronrca

They dont seem shy when you approach the tank. They dont go franticly trying to get away. They just hide behind the plants. I know that I will have to give them time but I thought that maybe there are some tips or tricks like putting on some romantic music, candle light flake feedings, dancing stuff like that1????? ::) ;) :-*

R

ronrca

Ironicly, I have been told differently! The more hiding places, the more confident they will be. I guess I will have to see. I did phone the breeder to see what the discus were use to. I will try to feed them tonight in some form or another. Im sure they will be fine however one gets a little impatient when wanting to enjoy such beautiful fish.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 my ram was so mean to my angels i put him in my brackish tank thinking that would teach him, but he is still alive and ticking! They are sposed to be as fragile as discus, but apparently not. it's a gold ram, too.

D

discusaquarium

discus arent fragile, given the right water qualities and good food. they are just like any other fish, just a hel1 of a lot more colorful  ;D