Discus

D

discusaquarium

if you are hoping to breed, you will either have to buy a known pair which is very expensive or grow out a batch of them and let them pair off on their own. what size are the cobalts you are buying and how much are they going for?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
My lfs just got some new ones in that are a know breeding pair and they want $400 for them! They have already bred on them and they have some babies to sell now and of course they arn't going to sell them now. They figure if they breed this quick then they can make more off of all the babies than the pair alone. ;D I can't blame them either. :)

Q: Why can't I get a discus?

A: "HEY must be the money"!

;D 8)

D

discusaquarium

make friends with the keeper of those discus. i have made a couple of friends and i get first pick on discus that i want here. hey, the might even cut you a deal on some if you suck up enough.  ;D lol

R

ronrca

The cobalts are about 2" and are selling for $40/each. I hope I can get lucky and get a pair. There supposedly are some differences in sex. I'll have to ask my lfs if they know the difference. If not, I'll ask them if they could pair them for me somehow. I'll maybe take 2 and then see if it works, maybe try others. Cross my fingers.

D

discusaquarium

there are sex differences once they get older. it's really difficult to tell other than behavior in the tank. more than likely the most dominant little bugger in the tank is a male. the more timid ones are usually females. males when older have pointed fins and are usually the dominant one in the tank (that stays around) there are some theories about sexing them but they arent 100% accurate. you are better off guessing based on fact...and if not - you have a 50% chance of being right.  ;D ;D ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Ronrca I'm crossing my fingers for you. ;D

Joe I can't really make friends with the lady at my lfs. It's about 25 miles away from my house and we only go to town once a week and I don't usually get to go to the store that has the discus. Oh well I'm going to be getting a really good sum of money soon and hopefully a bigger tank and some discus. ;D

R

ronrca

Researching Discus can be a little confusing at times. I have read so many articles and websites that its not even funny. There are many confusing issues but the most difficult to understand is frequency of water changes. Some say everyday, others only weekly and some in between. Who do you believe? Once a day sounds like a little too much work considering I only come home around 6:30pm, eat supper and try to keep my wife happy  :-*. I could handle every 2 or 3 days however. Next is how much water to change every 2-3 days, 10%, 20%, 30% or 100% every week. Another issue is water prepartation! I know that it is very important but how far do you go. I was hoping to get a python no spill changed so I can drain and fill my tank easily but maybe I shouldnt just fill the tank directly from the tap. Others say it is ok, some not. Discusaquarium, what are your thoughts? I did read your website and really like it. You actually got me started into Discus. I would like the best for my fish.

D

discusaquarium

personally, it's a matter of trial and error based on the fish that you have. there are some discus that will live long happy and healthy lives in water that you would think that they wouldnt fit in. others are testy as hell and you have to have everything their way or you better watch out. personally, i do at least a 30% water change a week. i set up a schedule for myself and follow it very carefully. as for the water issue, it all depends. try some tap water first but be sure to dechlorinate. if they don't look happy then next time try some purified water. ok -discus are tough as nails when given the right water and good food. hope i could help. ;D

D

discusaquarium

personally, it's a matter of trial and error based on the fish that you have. there are some discus that will live long happy and healthy lives in water that you would think that they wouldnt fit in. others are testy as hell and you have to have everything their way or you better watch out. personally, i do at least a 30% water change a week. i set up a schedule for myself and follow it very carefully. as for the water issue, it all depends. try some tap water first but be sure to dechlorinate. if they don't look happy then next time try some purified water. ok -discus are tough as nails when given the right water and good food. hope i could help. ;D

R

ronrca

Ok! Cool! Im not an 'experienced' water keeper yet! I only have been keeping water with fish in it for about 9 months. I have more knowledge than experience. I love researching and reading about fish. I do have a regular schedule also to change water. Right now I have going 3 tanks, 10G, 30G and a 90G. I am currently looking for another 30G. I truly have to say that this hobby is addicating and I wish I could win a lottery. Forget nice house or cars or holidays, I would buy more tanks and fish, better equipment, books etc. I would also build a more rooms onto my house. Anyways, thanks for your advice. I have no problem changing water twice a week either especially if I get the python.  ;D
I just wish I could find more discus locally. I might however try buying some over the internet from some famous breeders.

R

ronrca

Thats another question I had: R/O units! I cant afford one now and my wife would kill me if I could. My tap water is: 7.0pH, 80ppm Gh, 120ppmKh which isnt bad for discus (I dont think). So I thought that a R/O unit wouldnt help too much. I have lots of drift wood in the tank and tannis.

D

discusaquarium

sounds good to me. i'd watch that hardness close though. i dont have ro either. i use a tap water purifier.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
RO units are not what you need. I have read up on them and they are not a good thing. Don't get one. They are way to expensive and not as effective as they seem. There are some post on it in the Equipment section.

Glad to hear someones getting those discus! ;D This hobby is VERY addicting I know. I want a 150 gallon and I'm saving up to get it now. It's only $600 for tank hood filter and stand. Wish me luck on getting it before someone else does. ;D

R

ronrca

What kind of water purifer do you have? I know BigAlsonline has one the is relatively cheap. I was thinking was getting it but Im not sure yet.

D

discusaquarium

its basically like a ro unit except way cheaper. does all the same things - removes chlorine, heavy metals, etc etc.

R

ronrca

I finally spoke with a discus breeder that lives about 30min away. He is just a hobby breeder not a full time breeder. He has quite a few discus he breeds and he said that Im suppose to call back in about a week. He said he has about 20 red turquoise that he whats to sort through to see which ones he wants to keep. He will then pick out 6 for me. Im very excited. He also sells 2-3" for about $20 which is half what my lfs is selling them for.