Discus

D

discusaquarium

well guys, there are some nice discus out there for about $18. I bought mine from Gywnnbrook Farms here in Maryland. The fish are great. If you are wondering about cheaper Discus, maybe you could maild order them? Shipping can be quite expensive, but if you spit an order with someone you know who lives close by, you can easily save some $$. Air shipping is about $65 total. From our airport to yours. If you are interested....personally, I like picking my own out. You could take a day trip somewhere and stop at a breeder or something. if your are interested in some breeders in the US, there is a page on my site... i think it's www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium/breeders.html that has a bunch of good breeders on there. Hope i can help :)
Joe

R

ronrca

Thats a great idea but unfortunatly, the shipping and the fish would end up being just as expensive by the time they get here :(! Otherwise I would go for it. Thanks for the offer. ;D

R

ronrca

I Canadian dollars, it cost me around $130 for 1 fish but as you mentioned, if I get some others to chip in, it would be great! I will have to talk with my lfs if he would be up to it. He has some beautiful discus but not very many.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I sound some young ones on the internet for around $20 and they are beautiful! The only thing is they would be around $55 to ship them here! :p No way. I can get them for around $40 and they are just as good. ;D

R

ronrca

Just checked out my favorite lfs, Dad's Fishroom! He has some for $40 that I will be getting in about 2 weeks. I cant wait! They are about 2" big. Very cute!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The smaller ones here, like 2.5 3 inches are about $20.

My water is very hard, I guess I would have to use a purifier to get rid of some of the carbonates.

DiscusA, what are your water levels? PH/GH

D

discusaquarium

My water has a pH of 6.8 a gH of about 4 degrees and the same for the kH. Temp is 82-84 F. Everything else is straight 0's. :) I have a Tap water purifier too, that works well. Those discus are pretty expensive but maybe they are worth it..what strain are they?
Joe

R

ronrca

Pigeon blood and something blue! Im trying to find some cheaper on the net in Canada but Im not having any luck! Anyone have any ideas?

D

discusaquarium

If they were blue diamonds i can totally agree with the $40 for them. They are solid blue, maybe that's what they are. Pigeon bloods aren't that expensive, so..i dunno. Pigeons are nice Discus, i have one right now, hoping to get another tank started fully planted then working on some Discus in it...maybe vice versa. If you could describe the blue ones I could tell ya what kind they were. Guessing on your pet shop $40 for a pigeon is high - but maybe you can just get away with a few blue diamonds if thats what they are. Personally, i would look around more @ those price ranges. I would even consider mail ordering if you were planning to buy more than 5. OOOOOOH well
Joe

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
My lfs told me they had some pigeon blood discus months ago for $20! :'( I missed them. They aren't going to buy anymore as their dealer doesn't carry them. :( Oh well maybe some day I can afford the $40 ones they have. ;D

D

discusaquarium

Yeah they dont cost much over in Thailand, i have considered buying some and shipping over, Cloth - the shipping to the states is a bitch...Shipping to LA from Thailand is something like $120, but then you have to worry about from LA to wherever you are in the USA. aggh, why can i just live closer to ya'll?? Cloth, where do you buy from? I've seen pompadua and one other place that i can't remember the name of, but maybe that might work out hmmmm ::::ponders with evil grin::::
Joe

R

ronrca

I have a question and cant seem to find an anwser! How long in general do Discus live?