Discus

R

ronrca

They are doing great. When I approach the tank, they come to the front begging for food. When I feed them, they go nuts. 1 however is still very shy but I will give them time. They do scare quite easily still. My brother in-law was over yesterday and was looking at the tank hood and the discus went nuts. They were so scared 1 tried to jump out or so it seemed. My brother in-law got splashed full of water. But nevertheless, the discus were very frightened. I dont know why but I am thinking that they are not use to many people approaching the tank yet. Also, at water changes, they frighten easily and hide. Patience is the key. They have made great improvements. Thanx for asking though.

R

ronrca

O, another thing I just remember. 1 of the discus is really aggressive. He is always chasing the small ones around. Is that a problem? He doesnt do it all the time but usually just after feeding when most of the food has finished sinking too the bottom.

D

discusaquarium

i think cloth covered everything. :) they're just establishing a pecking order. once they all reach about the same size it will slow down alot, usually they will all reach around 6", so when they're about there it will slow down greatly. just make sure they are all getting food - thats the biggest problem. 8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I had this same problem with my cories. At first they were very shy and didn't like to come out in the light. Now they will come up to the glass and look at me. ;D There was one bigger one that used to take everything but he didn't do it in an aggressive manner he just got to it first and none of the others would come up. It's fine now though. Patience is the key. :D

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Hey! More discus nuts!;D LOL! I'm to lazy to read the entire thread, so what kind of discus do you keep? I keep marlboros, pigeon bloods, cobalts, blue diamonds, turqs,&browns. Do you breed them? I have a breeding pair of cobalts, and a pair consisting of a marlboro and a pigeon blood.8)

D

discusaquarium

you name it i've got it. the main ones i have are cobalts, golden sunrise/goldens, snakeskins, royal blues, red turqs, blue turqs, etc.

D

discusaquarium

take a look back a couple of pages, there's a leopard snakeskin on there, i'd say that those are the most rare/expensive. for a normal strain of discus at a good quality, you should pay between 20 and 30 dollars for a 1-3 inch fish, it really depends.

R

ronrca

I was just at my favorite lfs and I was knocked off my feet. They had gotten a big shipment of fish and of course some discus from Germany. Some snakeskin, pigeon blood and ocean green Discus, all of which are 2" big. Beautiful discus and very healthy. The price made me choke however. $$$$$$80/discus. That will go over my wife well epecially when I had to convince my wife of buying $17/fish (3-4") red turquoise 2 weeks ago. Maybe Im too new in Discus or something but I think that is a little ridiculous. Its no wonder not many people go into Discus. I would think that having some cheaper together with the expensive ones for sell would help.

D

discusaquarium

yes it can get a bit expensive, the one drawback of keeping them. it's well worth it when they are settled and eating from your hand and coming to the front of the tank when you walk into the room. $80 is rediculous...i wouldnt even consider them if they were that much! maybe 40 or so, but thats pushing it. sheesh, people and their money. :-/ 8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
The cheapest discus I have found around me are $40 - $50 and that's what they call cheap! The only ones I can find right now are full grown and are $60! Discus where do you live? All of our discus are so expensive. I really want some. If I get that 150 gallon I was thinking about a fully planted tank full of swords and discus! haha. That would be beautiful wouldn't it? I think I like the turqouise severums too though. ;D

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
IMO the blue diamond is the best discus out there. For a good quality one expect around $50-60 for a 3". I have seen breeding pairs of discus go for over 1 thousand bucks.:eek: But they can definatly pay you back in a hurry.LOL 8)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, I am looking around in Southern CA for some breeders of discus also.  Gotta wait until I have enough money to buy like 6-7 juveniles for my 60 gallon.  Anybody know any cheap ones around here?

D

discusaquarium

http://www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium/breeders.html

there are a bunch of california breeders on there,(first ones) i dont know where they are relative to you, but hopefully there are some close ones! hope i could help you out. tell me what you think of my website.
;D 8)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They are selling super red, pigeon, ghost discus for 20 dollars/3-4 inch fish.  Does this sound right for this type of discus?  I was wondering which colored discus is the most expensive?

D

discusaquarium

yes that sounds about right, the most expensive color would have to be green, or anything spotted.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I don't know about the greens being the most expensive. I have seen the lazer green ones for $30 around here but the regular colbalt blue ones are like $60 - $100! The spotted ones are always expensive around me too. ;D