10 gallon nano reef journal (pics)

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Thanks. I hope to add more rock in a month or two and then add a skimmer by the end of the year. Most likely I will take out the canister and swap out one powerhead for a more powerful one.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So I know I can't do a big mod on the maxi jet 400's but I intend to drill the intake to be bigger and hack off the output. Hopefully it will increase some flow... I'll let you guys know how it works.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
im still waiting to mod the powerheads... trying to borrow a drill.... I think I found my first sight of aiptasia....im a little bitter but heres a pic of the culprit.

I got some Joe's juice ordered and i should be able to take care of it next week before it gets out of hand.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
aiptasia is gone... My tank is gonna be all alone for a week over thanksgiving break. I think I;m gonna use my feeder since I have one. Also I don't know if I'm gonna have both the lights on all the time or just actinics. Usually I have on actinics on in the morning and night for an hour or two but since i wont be here to change it I gotta pick...One weekend I only did actinics but I think my mushroom suffered a bit.

I did buy a glass lid so evaporation has now gone to nearly zero, so I don't think I'll have to worry about salinity too much than before.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
tank last two weeks alone over winter break... I still haven't seen my watchman goby but hopefully i will soon.

Santa went shopping at marine depot so I got that remora skimmer I wanted so that will go up in the next few days/weeks... I want to switch to a metal stand first cause I don't like the strength of the wooden one that its on now.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Huh... I thought I posted a reply, I guess not.

Which Remora skimmer did you get? I was about to say, I got the AquaC Remora w/Maxi Jet for $150, but I was going to sell it, since it's sitting unused, and will likely remain like so, since I won't be able to go salty for a long time.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
ugh, well thats the one I got... prob for the same price...

now that my tanks lights been on for awhile, just turned on when I got back, my kenya tree has exploded... my xenia has possibly shrunk?...zoas are still nice

I think my watchman goby is MIA... im a bit bitter but that gives me more room for what i want...I'll post some updated pics sometime soon... gotta do that W/c tomorrow cause I forgot to get water....

Last edited:

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
Whew, close one I was getting worried about him, post up some pics of the kenya I want to see how much it grew. P.S. is my 29 an algae infested mess right now?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I see zero algae... no light plus wonton, the snail, has done some work.. there will be some soon tho cause the light is on at least 12 hours a day

I just added on my skimmer.. its super loud right now and its in my bedroom so I'm turning it off when I sleep and I bet its gonna quiet up with in a week or two... I also modified the two powerhead I have in there and now its jsut like wow.... I just cut up the intake and output to be bigger (got a dremel from santa too) and now they put out a lot... one has a bigger output, bigger than I want and its a bit out of control.

Last edited:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
picture update... microbubbles from new skimmer is a pain but will go down soon.

FTS

kenya tree, still a little flacid int he morning... modded power head to the right

skimmer

GSP

xenia

kenya tree x2

modded powerhead intake

video of xenia pulsing... a little