10 gallon nano reef journal (pics)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I would really like to start my nano reef tank with some green striped shrooms like those! What do you feed them and how often? I'm also assuming they get the majority of their energy from the light...?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
no updates really... it looks the same more or less unless you look real close and notice the corals bigger.

This tank will be up for at least the summer but now money restrictions might make it impossible to go SW in the 46

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Ever since I got the pistol shrimp, and they started to burrow I never see the goby or pistol anymore... My only concern is that the goby is not eating enough cause hes not around ever to feed. I do have a feeling the pistol is alive cause the constant amount of tunnels that appear but no actual sighting of each in about a week or two.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you might need to watch the tank for a few hours...lol
I hope the goby's all right. no idea what it would eat all this time other than amphipods (which may or may not be in abundance on your reef)

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
so I know I need to update this thing... Ill get pictures up within a week or so but I just moved my tank for the second time since my last update. I moved it home for the summer and now its back with me at school. All 4 fish are alive but I have been loosing inverts pretty regularly. This last time i moved i found a crab, Ill make an ID thread but he was good size and eating well on my hermits, snails, and pistol shrimp....

After the first move i had to use some tap water, that with the addition of some sunlight and loosing 90% of my coraline in the move resulted in a hair algae break out. Which i hope to fix now that i just set it back up yesterday.

I am thinking about adding a regular HOB on this this just to get rid of excess debris and also so I can run some wort of PO4 remover if needed

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So after looking at this thread I realized that my corals are not doing as well as they used to be... I lost a lot of them (zoas and GSP) to the hair algae...

Also I just changed my tank again to a 20L... put my old 65W 50/50 fixture on it we'll see how it works... Light is a lot lower but when I would just leave half of my old light (also would be 65... cause it was 130 total) all the corals would look and do fine. I have all the same fish... thinking about getting a cleaner shrimp but first I want to just get this tank up and running cause im sure I'm gonna run into a mini-cycle very quickly..... pics soon i hope

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wait you have the same 3 fish in a 5gallon now? not cramped? o_o
pics would be great! since you last update I have taken the plunge into SW reefing too! I started with a 3 gallon and have a 10 gallon in addition to that now.