Why does Wal-mart sell fish

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
IMO most of the stores do not make their money off of fish and the overhead on the tanks etc. is high. Their money gets made off of the support equipment - like pet food, toys, etc. Just watch the people that come into Petsmart or Petco and what they actually buy. One thing about Walmart and fish - you don't have to worry about getting the wrong information because there is no one to ask. You need to do your research and decided for yourself whether a certain fish is okay to buy - and they occasionally have some pretty nice fish at really low prices, but not for the inexperienced.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i highly doubt they make money off the fish with how many die. ive seen ordering sheets and prices people pay and you can expect they raise from 40-60%.

they suck people in by them seeing the fish, then they need a tank and everything else is all right there. bad way to get sucked into the hobby via walmart but it happens a lot...so while they dont make money off the fish, its the supplies they make some money off. prob not enough to balance out cost of fish that die though

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
The fish department does make money, but probably not on fish. But, a while back I talked to the manager about the fact that they stopped selling yard goods and patterns. He said it was a mistake and they were going to bring that department back again because they have found that although they don't make money on it, it does bring people in and in the process they buy enough other things to make up for it. I live in near a small community - the kind with one grocery store, but there are a lot of things we can't get here without driving 35 - 40 miles one way and with Walmart only a couple of miles away it has been a big help. I was at Walmart a couple hours ago and their tanks were clean and dark and there were only a couple of fish in one tank. There were no bettas. Walmart usually had some very nice ones for $3.47 - much prettier than any I have seen at Petsmart or Petco. BTW, I was in Petsmart last week and ask about female bettas. I was told they can't keep them in stock. They sell fast because everyone wants to breed them!! All I could do was shake my head sadly.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
ive worked in retail...so i know that places are willing to take a risk for the other benefits.

you ever notice how they put clearence at the back of the store? its so you have to go through the whole store and once you start picking stuff off clearence stuff you are open to buy more. :)

my fiances dad works as a district manager for sams club, not the same, but their kinda the same company. he explained it the same way as the guy above did....people will come in to look at something and buy something else. they rely on impulse buyers. that and some people who think walmart is cheaper than pet stores just cause its walmart and everythings supposed to be cheaper