Why does Wal-mart sell fish

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Why would you treat for soemthing that it may not have? The life cycle of ich is not very long to begin with. i believe 3 days in free swimming so worst case is 5 days after quarantine it would show up on the fish.
Whoa, whoa! ;) I'm not recommending it. I'm only saying that I've seen it recommended from reputable sources.

The recommendation was about acclimating fish. And, as I've said elsewhere, the acclimation of fish is perhaps the one topic that I've seen that provokes the most divergent range of advice from the experts.

I can only guess that the reason it's recommended is that ich is so common. As I noted, I definitely wouldn't use any strong ich meds for just a suspected case.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
I bought a QT for when I buy fish after my tank cycles. I read some where that some one put meds in to prevent fish illness. Was not sure what what meds or how much. But thank you all. I will just skip that part and QT my fish and keep an eye on them. If it's not broken, then don't fix it. Right?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Ding Ding! You win some free guppy fry!!!

(just added last week's fancy guppy fry to the guppy tank... and I discovered there were TONS more green cobra fry... I've got more fry than I can count. darn you bushy hornwort!)

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
I have bought fish from WalMart. I think the same goes for WalMart as for any other LFS..only buy if all looks good, no dead or sick fish. And take anything the sales people tell you with a large grain of salt. Sales people are just that, people who will sometimes say anything to get the sale. I got my Glofish from WalMart a few months ago and they came with a 90 day guarantee..and yes I doublle checked that!!

Last edited:

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I have bought fish from WalMart. I think the same goes for WalMart as for any other LFS..only buy if all looks good, no dead or sick fish. And take anything the sales people tell you with a large grain of salt. Sales people are just that, people who will sometimes say anything to get the sale. I got my Glofish from WalMart a few months ago and they came with a 90 day guarantee..and yes I doublle checked that!!
yes if all looks good.. but (usually) a local mom and pop fish store care about the fishes health when you take it home. I don't think that most LFS's are worried about getting your sale.. my lfs has told me to hold off on buying fish until the tank was cycled, told me not to buy certain fish because of compatibility issues. also my lfs won't sell fish if they are sick or a fish died in the tank.. they put a sticker on the tank that means it is in lock down.. no selling the fish until the tank is healthy again.. I think that says alot in my book. walmart wouldn't do that.. they would just say buy at your own risk. this is of course my opinion.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
one of my friends and I play a game. any time we go to walmart we count dead fish and then see who counts the most I've won by counting 123 dead fish in 6 tanks. I will NEVER buy any pet related product from walmart

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ken, mine is the same way. Before they got to know me (is it bad my LFS knows my stock?) they would ask me what else is in the tank, what size it was, ect. before removing the fish I wanted from the tank. If there was going to be a problem...no sale. Other fish were suggested, but none that would pose a health issue to themselves or others in the tank.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
one of my friends and I play a game. any time we go to walmart we count dead fish and then see who counts the most I've won by counting 123 dead fish in 6 tanks. I will NEVER buy any pet related product from walmart
I do buy my fish food and blackwater extract from walmart. I can get a large can of fish flakes for 10.00.. at my lfs it is 19.00.. so yes I do buy pet related products.. I just wouldn't buy live animals from there.

Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Well, I know these posts are all mostly old, but I can't help but add my two cents. I'm a very neutral party when it comes to liking or not liking wal-mart. I think that its a crap shoot to buy from there, but it is anywhere you go.. You really NEVER know what you're buying.. If you have a qt tank then it shouldn't matter where you are buying. I know some people do not want to support places like wal-mart because a lot of them have bad conditions for fish. I've known some wal-marts to lose their ability to sell fish because of bad conditions for the fish. I think that Wal-mart could make more money if they took the time to TRAIN a couple of people to take care of fish and spent more time on it. But they don't, its something everyone that's there gets to do. You'll find some that care more than others. Maybe one day they will.. who knows..