Saddam Hussein

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
1979camaro said:
You make excellent points about our foreign policy decisions, but I question your assertion that the war took a week? Unless you are refering to Desert Storm...that seems innacurate. Sure, Bush declared "victory" in 2003, but 106 Americans died in Iraq last month...the war is hardly over.

True. Good point. I suppose I should clarify my hyperbole, and I have some new points to add as well.

What I think I mean is that the actual "war" itself - the road to Baghdad and the ousting of Saddam took only a week or a little more. The rest has been the horror we have come to know as the occupation. I'm pretty much just talking about what a "threat" Saddam was - as if to say if he was such a dangerous bad guy, why did it only take a matter of days decimate his army and topple his regime?

And that only took the USA and Britain; with minimal troops. Say we compare that to other conflicts like WWII for example - where it took the USA, Britain and the USSR years to defeat the Axis even with full effort. Or Korea where no victory was ever achieved.

I think this fact alone says what a joke Saddam Hussein was. Everyone goes around bitching about the mess this war has become and I fully agree with that. But so few people ever bring up the case that proves once and for all that this war was pointless - and to me, it's the fact that it only took a matter of weeks to topple a supposedly dangerous guy who was said to be some big bad threat to the world.

To my mind, a threat to the world is supposed to be someone whom it would take months or years to defeat; and would require sacrifices from all citizens of the country. I haven't seen any kids collecting scrap metal for this war. All I see are soldiers dying every single day. And I find it disgusting.

Will Saddam's execution bring any of them back? No.

In fact, I want to know one way that his execution will serve the efforts of making the world a safer place.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
echoofformless said:
Will Saddam's execution bring any of them back? No.
That is just like any murder case in this country too, what if you were a family member of one of the dead? I know i'd rather have them executed rather then sentanced to life in prison where they can still work, still make calls to the outside, still have visits, still get to enjoy sports or outside activities, and acctually earn certain luxuries (TVs(WITH CABLE), radios, magazines, possibly an extra pillow etc) with "good time". And thats not even in a white collar prison like where Martha went. Sounds like sitting in prison for life isn't to bad after all compared to death.

His death can't bring them back but it sure can compensate the family's minds and make them feel a little bit better. Knowing that their relative's death did not go unpunished.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Noooo. killing Sadam won't bring anyone back, but it will prevent others from sharing their fate. he's already proven to the world that he is a genocidal nut. just get rid of him by any means possible. the sooner he is off the face of the earth, the better. then let him face his true judgement.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
If it is possible to sepreate his hanging from international poltics, and turing a blind eye to the whole "what the hell was the US and England sticking there noses in there in the first place"? issue........... I dont think he should be killed, and that is not because I'm Irish (most Irish people condemn the death plenty in all forms) Its because a hanging is too good from him! I would rather see him rot in jail.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
If all the appeals are denied he'll be executed with in 29 days from today.

I am still against the death penalty, I dont believe that it is right to take a life, no matter what the person has done - even if he/she has taken other lives.

And crimes against humanity ... who provided Sadaam with some of the weapons he used to make these crimes?

I dont like George Bush, but I would be mad if some other people came in and hung him.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Angelfish said:
If all the appeals are denied he'll be executed with in 29 days from today.

I am still against the death penalty, I dont believe that it is right to take a life, no matter what the person has done - even if he/she has taken other lives.

And crimes against humanity ... who provided Sadaam with some of the weapons he used to make these crimes?

I dont like George Bush, but I would be mad if some other people came in and hung him.

? The Iraqi government is doing this.

We provided the stuff, but its just like today....who says somebody like France can't just rise up and use our weapons to do something. Might as well not even give anyone anything and not only have the allies pissed at you but not able to defend themselves, have a WW3 and then have countries wiped off the face of the earth because they zero chance on defending themselves. 20 years from now france could be the enemy, germany could be the enemy, japan could be the enemy...who knows right at this exact second. We arn't going to say no you can't have these guns because i KNOW you are going to do this (insert random act of terrorism here) with them on this (insert date) day.

Another thing, without capital punishment, would the prisons not be overcrowded? We arealdy have more people in prison then any other country in the world. And while it may be more expensive to execute someone (lethal injection) think about the money that would be needed to build all the new prisons, pay the prison staff, and continualy feed/keep up these prisoners, etc.

29 days, tick tick tick tick....*DRUMMER*

Jan 16, 2006
Superior, WI
echoofformless said:
In fact, I want to know one way that his execution will serve the efforts of making the world a safer place.
After he was captured we saw a large increase in ordinary Iraqis who were willing to help the coalition and the fledgling Iraqi government by things like:
Telling us where weapons caches were
Helping us root out terrorists
Volunteering for the new Iraqi police and army

This is because they were beginning to understand that he wouldn't come back to "oppress" them(graphic description deleted). Many Iraqis are still afraid of this and hence are afraid to get involved in making the country a safer place. Once he's gone for good you will see many more "ordinary" Iraqis stand up and start cleaning up their country.

Anyway, to answer your question, by getting more Iraqis involved in making a democratic government work. And there is no question that a stable Iraq is in the interests of the entire free world.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
No, unless the appeals panel affirms the death sentence tomorrow, his death will not happen within 29 days. As my previous post stated, he will be executed within 30 days of the Appeals Panel final verdict. Currently they are estimating that the appeal process will last about a month, but it could go on potentially a lot longer depending on what evidence is dug up and what the lawyers try to pull. My final words on that...Don't hold your breath.

Yes, Saddam was turned into an enemy by the media and by the government. Personally, I think he was a scape goat to turn attention away from the inability of the US to capture Osama. Saddam does deserve to die and should probably be put to death, at least so the countries can move on (both Iraq and the US). As long as he lives, there is always the possibility of rebels or extremists breaking in and freeing him. In a country as unstable as Iraq, that is too much of a liability.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I would rather pay to keep them alive than have them killed. A life is more important than money so yes ... I still stand by what I say.

C-Man ... I have no idea about what your getting at about WWIII??

And besides, its nothing like "the gun shop sold the guy the gun he shot his wife with so they are partly to blame" USA gave Sadaam chemical weapons ... what did they think they were going to be used for?

AND the main point which I forgot to mention before .... Sadaam has been sentenced for crimes he committed in the 80's (if I am correct). The US has been on good terms with him since then ... it just doesnt seem right to not do anything for so long (and be on good terms with) and then ten years later be stringing the guy up for it, after been on good terms AND SUPPLYING HIM with chemical weapons to use on others.

AND maybe the Iraqi government is doing it, but the US are the ones who went in and got him and said there system had to change.

Submariner

Large Fish
May 15, 2006
Central Maine
It would be nice if the world worked like an intellectual construct, and we could just apply our sense of morality, and our rules of right and wrong where we wanted, but we can't. The world works by nature, and nature kills people every day. People kill people every day. Animals kill animals every day. Even chimps murder other chimps, or other chimps babies. Nature doesn't consider morality, or right and wrong. So trying to say it is fundamentally wrong to take a life is basically futile. It's part of human nature and existence on Earth in general. All we can do is try to make the people that kill without justification pay for their crimes. If we decide to kill someone else for killing others, well then that's what they get. The people that Saddam messed with for so long have decided to end his existence on Earth. There is no doubt in MY mind that he deserves it.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Hmmm ... not sure if submariner is talking to me ... but if so there is a lot that separates us from animals, WE understand the concept of morality. We know it is wrong to kill.

Plus ... it seems very hypercritical to kill someone for killing.

And ... why cant we apply our rules of right and wrong where we want? We do, and they are called laws.

Submariner

Large Fish
May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Angelfish said:
Hmmm ... not sure if submariner is talking to me ... but if so there is a lot that separates us from animals, WE understand the concept of morality. We know it is wrong to kill.

Plus ... it seems very hypercritical to kill someone for killing.

And ... why cant we apply our rules of right and wrong where we want? We do, and they are called laws.

I wasn't talking to you specifically, no. But I will respond to your response. Yes, human beings have a concept of morality, and yet people still kill people everyday. I'm not saying killing is right by any means. I'm just saying that killing is part of nature, whether we want to apply moral codes or laws to it or not. It's going to happen. So why not accept it and punish death with death? (in certain, extreme cases of course.) And yes humans have laws, and one of them allows for the death penalty. :) It seems like we as human beings are trying to legislate ourselves into this cozy little cocoon, where things happen only if we allow them to. But that ain't the way life (or death) on Earth works. IMO, of course.

Peace, just discussing here

Last edited: