Saddam Hussein

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Under the Iraqi constitution, he gets to appeal the decision and if that appeal is denied, the execution must be carried out within 30 days. In some ways they make us looked a little backwards.................

Anyway, he should be swinging by Christmas.

You guys have to realize that there have been many reversals on new evidence for death penalties cases. In america its justified to wait for appeals and such because it gives a little time for new evidence to be found and appeals to be completed. Most cases the defendant is 100 percent guilty but there is a small percentage incarcerated that did not commit the crime only time and place put them there.especially the ones that were found guilty before DNA evidence was used so exstensively.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
wilsonriverfish said:
You guys have to realize that there have been many reversals on new evidence for death penalties cases. In america its justified to wait for appeals and such because it gives a little time for new evidence to be found and appeals to be completed. Most cases the defendant is 100 percent guilty but there is a small percentage incarcerated that did not commit the crime only time and place put them there.especially the ones that were found guilty before DNA evidence was used so exstensively.

That is the exact reason why I oppose the death penalty in this country. But it's the only reason.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I believe he should be tortured repeatedly... *mod edit*

He deserves so much more torture but i definately do not believe he should be allowed to live in any manner. Why? Because it is just more money going to a lost cause... With his reputation i believe a group would try to use it as leverage ion some scheme to get their demands met. So do away with him as they wish. I would like to see it recorded and played on live tv or internet like the cells in iraq do with our people now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Coming from an attorney...

Iraq has a sort of "appeals" court, where this death penalty case will be sent. If the panel of judges on the appeals court agrees with the sentence, he has to be hung within 30 days. However, the appeals panel has an unlimited amount of time to review the case, so it might be held up for years in appeals. In the meantime, Saddam will be attending another trial, this time for the deaths of Kurds. If the appeals panel approves his death sentence, the Kurd trial will stop and he will be hung within the 30 day time limit. Who knows what the appeal panel will do...they may immediately approve his sentence, or review it. I agree though, a death by hanging is not justice to all of the people he tortured. However, if he is allowed to live in a cell, there is always the possibility of his escaping and possibly coming back to power, so his death would probably be the best thing for Iraq at the moment. It would silence his supporters and let Iraq move on.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I don't see how treating him as badly as he treated others makes any sense. All it really does is prove what men like Saddam and Osama bin Laden have been saying about the U.S. and other western nations all along.

Submariner

Large Fish
May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Igor The Cat said:
hanging is quite a common death penelty, still the default here in WA, but you are given the choice of other methods, so this means that Hussein either chose hanging or possibly didnt select anything at all.

cheers

-Java
Makes sense, since of course Saddam lives in Washington. ;)

Anyway, I think the important thing is not how much he suffers, or whether or not he goes to hell, but that his existence on Earth is ended. That's enough for me.

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
hanging is definitely not the default in most states...WA and NH are the only two. Most countries do not use hanging...and, in fact, most countries in the western world do not use capital punishment. A little over half of the nations in the world actually have the option for capital punishment and not that many use it regularly.

Last edited:

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
1979camaro said:
I don't see how treating him as badly as he treated others makes any sense. All it really does is prove what men like Saddam and Osama bin Laden have been saying about the U.S. and other western nations all along.
You said exactly what I wanted to say.

We know he has done terrible things, but in my oppinion, he should not be hanged. I mean, I know hanging makes a good statement to anyone who is thinking of following in his footsteps but I still dont think its right. Although from what I hear the lethal injection isnt that much better, apparently it is a series of injections and is very painful by the way it works.

So basically I dont know what should be done with him ... I'm pretty much against the death penalty but I can see how it is justified in this case, I just think surely there is another way to do it.

And ... no where could I find if the hanging was to be public or not? If it is I just see a whole bunch more problems comming from people who support him and people who hate him.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Generally, I do not condone the death penalty, although here in TX we execute more criminals than any other state. From a psychology standpoint, I look at each case from a therapist's eyes: Is this person able to be rehabilitated? If yes, then no death penalty, if no, then the death penalty should be carried out. The purpose of the justice system is to keep threats to public well-being minimal.

When a person commits mass genocide, there's obviously a wire crossed somewhere. The ability to convince hundreds or thousands of others to help indicates a problem that defies the boundaries of rehabilitation. If you believe in good, then you must believe in evil. Making a decision to lord over people and kill them at will is not how natural life is or should be. Execution is for those that willfully defy it without any remorse.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I detect a good deal of manufactured hate. We've been told to hate this guy and so we do?

What about when he was considered one of the key US allies? He was committing some of the nastiest crimes against humanity and no one in America said anything. Instead they armed him and supported the furthering of one of the most disgraceful wars of the twentieth century. Now suddenly we're supposed to be calling for his blood?

Be honest with yourself. Has he really done anything out of the ordinary for a dictator or warlord? Did he go above and beyond the call of duty for a political madman? Can his crimes even compare to guys like Hitler and Stalin? Or to terrorist groups like Al Qaida? Has he ever used atomic bombs on civilians? (Ahem.)

I don't think so. I just think he was pathetic. And now he's finished. Oh well. But how many other buttholes are there left to deal with in the world? And on top of that, how many more are yet to come to power? Saddam Hussein was nothing. A poor excuse for a world leader. In my opinion he was nothing special at all. He was talked up as some sort of lunatic threat to the whole world just to make a case for war. That war took like what, a week? Doesn't that show what a pathetic wretch he really was? And therefore the world is no different without him. So who the frig cares? A nuclear North Korea and Iran. That is scary. Saddam Hussein is Eddie Haskell compared to that stuff.

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
You make excellent points about our foreign policy decisions, but I question your assertion that the war took a week? Unless you are refering to Desert Storm...that seems innacurate. Sure, Bush declared "victory" in 2003, but 106 Americans died in Iraq last month...the war is hardly over.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
personally, i think he should have been shot on sight. it's not like it was some big mystery who was responsible for the genocide. it must have been tough for the guys that found him to keep their fingers off the triggers. i could care less what method they use as long as it gets done before something crazy happens and he maby gets away. but if they wanted to go with "eye for an eye" most of the victimes families would probably prefer that he got the mustard gas.