Question from a new betta owner

newone

New Fish
Aug 30, 2010
I recently "rescued" a male betta that was being used as a centerpiece at a friend's wedding. It looked unhappy in the tiny bowl (who wouldn't be?) so when I got him home I did some research on this site to try to determine the best conditions for the betta. I have never owned a fish before and I felt horrible reading that the tiny bowls really are no where near ideal for a betta.

I purchesed a 5 gallon tank (it was what I could afford) and cycled it following the directions on this site before adding him to the tank. The betta survived the wait (with the almost daily water changes while watching for major ammonia spikes in the larger bowl I moved him to while he waited for his home to be complete) and he is happy in his new home. He now has more color and is a lot more active. It has been a couple of weeks and I would love to get him some tankmates.

Right now I have fake silk plants and a fake ceramic turtle. The bottom is black gravel, my betta is a very pale pink guy and he looked better against the black gravel than something lighter. I also have a heater and a whisper filter. There is a light attached, but when it is on he sees his reflection and flares so I don't leave it on very long.

What I would like to know is what would be a good option for fish to add to the tank? I have been looking at either Kuhlii Loaches or Cory Cats because I would love a bottom feeder, but I am not sure if they would be right for my 5 gal tank. How many would I be able to house without overloading the tank? Another option I was thinking was a dwarf frog, would this be a good option?

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much for any info!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi, welcome to the forum! I've just set up a 5g that is planned for a betta, two African Dwarf Frogs (ADFs) and a couple of shrimp. You can see the discussions in the General Discussion - "5g planted nano tank", or something like that.
Cories or kuhlis could work, but they prefer to be in groups. Also, I understand that tankmates for a betta largely depend on the personality of the betta. So be prepared to have to rehome him or his tankmates if he freaks out at them. Lots of plants and hidey-holes will help. I have to get more going in my 5g.
Let's see some pics of your guy!

newone

New Fish
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks so much for the advice! I think I'll go with the ADF, I'll do some more research on them to make sure I have a good enough environment for them before getting them. I never though of shrimp, what a great idea, I think I'll check into those also.

I'll make sure I have a backup plan/tank just in case my little guy prefers his solitude.

If I can get him to stay still long enough for a photo I'll attach one. The ones I keep getting he looks like "flash" the fish... nothing but color because he is moving so much.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
In my recent research, ADFs like mini-terra cotta pots or other cave-like structures to chill out in, and plants to perch on, under, or climb up to the surface when they go for air. Good filtration but not a powerful current. And a tight fitting lid is recommended. They don't see well, so are attracted to their food by smell mostly, and sometimes won't find their food. I'm going to try and get mine into a routine where they are fed in the same place every day (frozen bloodworms, most likely). Maybe even put a little 'plate' in there to eat from :)
Let us know how it goes!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Use the flash on your camera and point your camera slightly downward. If you have a manual mode, set your f-stop as large as possible and tweak the other settings (lower the ISO, etc.). You can photograph with a small aperture, but it's difficult to get a good photograph unless the other settings are perfect.

Here's a photograph I took with a small aperture.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/247/8/b/8b1ad2eae71138784e4909564f8df85a-d2y0l8z.jpg

Here's a photograph I took with a large aperture.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/247/c/5/c550f307fe06e9beaa54bf3d1084b54e-d2y0ocj.jpg

Also, you should pan your camera in the direction the fish is moving as you take the picture. If you don't have a manual mode, set your camera to macro or close-up.

I would not add cories or kuhlis, as they are extremely active and require larger tanks to be happy.

I congratulate you on being a new betta owner. They are wonderful fish.

I'd also like to mention that it's necessary to place a sponge over the filter intake, as frogs can have their limbs broken by the grid over the filter intake. Frogs need live foods, like live bloodworms, to be healthy. If you feed them frozen or pelleted foods, soak them in dechlorinated water before giving them to your frog. If you don't soak them, the food will blow up in their stomachs and give them digestive blockage or parasites, or kill them. Many people use chopsticks or tongs to wiggle the food in front of the frog. Frogs are slow-moving and have poor eyesight, so feeding live food helps them to see it better.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
An instructor at the college I attend recommends turning the filter OFF when feeding ADFs (being sure to turn it back ON after feeding!). Since they hunt by smell, its easier for them to find their food when the water current isn't spreading out the smell all over the tank, confusing them on the location to go to.

newone

New Fish
Aug 30, 2010
I can tell I have a little bit of rearranging to do before purchasing the ADF's, but I think my mind is decided that they would be a great addition to the tank (along with the shrimp). Of course if Bobo the Betta decides otherwise, a tank with just the frogs and shrimp would be a fun addition to the house. And Bobo can have his bachelor pad back. BTW he was named by my 3 year old nephew. We aren't sure where he came up with the name, but it is the chance you take when you have a kid name the fish. :)

Thank you all for the great advice!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I'd also like to mention that it's necessary to place a sponge over the filter intake, as frogs can have their limbs broken by the grid over the filter intake. Frogs need live foods, like live bloodworms, to be healthy. If you feed them frozen or pelleted foods, soak them in dechlorinated water before giving them to your frog. If you don't soak them, the food will blow up in their stomachs and give them digestive blockage or parasites, or kill them. Many people use chopsticks or tongs to wiggle the food in front of the frog. Frogs are slow-moving and have poor eyesight, so feeding live food helps them to see it better.
I always soak frozen bloodworms in warm tank water before feeding them to my fishies. Didn't know about them causing problems if unsoaked.
Do all filter intakes have to be covered with a sponge for ADFs?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I'd also like to mention that it's necessary to place a sponge over the filter intake, as frogs can have their limbs broken by the grid over the filter intake.
Hey LTBW, see these pics of my new filter in the 5g? Will it be a danger for ADFs? Do I need to put a sponge around it? Thanks in advance for the advice . . . .

Attachments

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Nice tank, lauraf. I would personally place a sponge over the intake. I sewed a filter sponge from the pet store over the intake of my filter to prevent my betta's fins from being chewed up. I want ADFs and I've been reading a lot about how if you filter intake has small slits, slow-moving ADFs can be pulled up against the intake and have their small arms and legs broken. Petsolutions has a filter intake sponge. However, it's 30 bucks plus shipping and handling and I'm not sure if they ship to Canada. My pet store sponges were 6 bucks for a pack, plus the thread.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Be careful mixing bettas and shrimp. I used to recommend it all the time...until I tried it. I put four ghost shrimp in with my blue marble male halfmoon betta, Edward. Less than a week later, Edward's fins are less than half the length they were before I put him in with the shrimp (and no, he doesn't have fin rot). I actually SAW one of the little buggers take a swipe at him as he swam by the other day. So, the shrimp have been removed and have now become snackage for my SA bumblebee catfish, my tiger barbs and my albino red-tailed shark.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ghost shrimp are different from other decorative shrimp. ghosts are usually more aggressive opportunists. amano or cherry shrimp wont attack fish like that.

ptl161

New Fish
Sep 24, 2010
Nice tank, lauraf. I would personally place a sponge over the intake. I sewed a filter sponge from the pet store over the intake of my filter to prevent my betta's fins from being chewed up