Oscar or Jack Dempsey..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Seriously?

The AC110 is like ~13" wide and 7" deep. It's basically like hanging a 5g tank on the back of a 10g (not quite I know). I dunno of an out of the box unit that's larger unless your talking sump, wet/dry, etc..

Yeah, I plan to add some creek rocks and drift wood.

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
If you're looking for entertainment, I would go with Oscars. I had Oscars for a while, but was inexperienced about the tank size and had to give them up to a LFS. I can't tell you how hard it was to get me to give them up! I dragged my feet on it until they were pulling out all my plants and bullying their tank mates.
They were very sociable, greeted you when you walk in the room and watch you! They're fun to feed too. I guess it could get expensive, but I would just reward them from time to time with treats from our own garden or occasionally meal worms.
As for the looks, Jack Dempseys are flashy, but I still prefer the look of the Oscars, and they have fancy fins, which I'm a sucker for. : )

Last edited:

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
Ok so I'm a little behind the times obviously, hehe, but I'm glad you went with Oscars! The tank looks like it's going to be beautiful with the driftwood and everything!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Thanks! He's SUPER cute and totally warmed up to us after a few hours of exploring the tank. He's really tiny, maybe 1.5" tip to tip at most. Got him at our LFS along with a jar of new life spectrum cichlid formula 1mm pellets.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You were right FD.. The oscar has a tank mate. A green severum. I did some reading and they *can* be a compatible pair. I got a tiny one, about the same size as the oscar. They're doing ok so far. The oscar does chase the severum a bit, but I've got some pots and plants in there and a some driftwood on it's way.