Oscar or Jack Dempsey..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
My vote is with Fishdad, Electric Blue JD, they are very similar to an oscar, but have striking color, if it's going to be a single fish in the tank, it'll really look great by itself.

To me they don't quite have the personality of an oscar. I'm sure there's cases that do however. It would be too simple with a JD. Grab a ~$55, 55g from Petco. I wouldn't bother stepping up to a 75g for a single JD.

Fishdad for Mayor.

You've got my vote regardless.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
If you want to do a 75g you could throw a Green Terror in with the EBJD.
Those are cool, but I've got enough terror in the FF estate.

That's how my quarantine 10g started out. Oh I'll just try out some plants.. Then just a couple fish.. Whammo! Just another tank. LOL.

FWIW, I'm still on the fence over the oscar vs. JD/EBJD.. JD would be cheaper and easier hardware wise, given I'd stick with a 55. They're a prettier, more sleek fish. Just not as awesome as an oscar to me.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am probably older than all of you put together and my sage advice is to decided what you REALLY want and then wait until you can get it because otherwise you will still want it. Every thing you have said, FF, makes me believe you really want the Oscar and if I am right that should be your goal and where you put your planning, energy and money.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
So where are you going to put your salt water tank?
LOL! I'm getting buyer's remorse on my 75g... Although, I could have a serious fish room in the basement. I'm marginally over my head as it is!

I feel like a dempsey is not going to nearly have the personality that you're looking for in a single fish setup
I hear you. I'm pretty set on an oscar anyway. I would have just went with another 55g for a JD and saved some money. Way too sensible.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Maybe owning a remote tropical island inhabited by prehistoric animals made from genetically altered DNA that's extracted from amber-entombed mosquito - but that's about it.