Oscar or Jack Dempsey..

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't know guys - Newman just bought 6 fish for $45 a piece. My first horse cost me $75 and lastedwell over 30 years with very little expenses except for feed - if I was younger I would go back to horses for a hobby. Actually at one point I remember my husband and I found out it was cheaper to maintain a private airplane than a couple of horses. Right now I am trying to give away a 30 gallon tank and no one wants the expense of the upkeep. I hate to say this, but his hobby is a lot more expensive than many.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I agree with you to an extent Thyra, but I know many that spend 10's of thousands on ATVs or snowmobiles as a hobby, or gobs of money on golf, boating, etc. I personally don't spend a dime on any of that. Still though.. It's certainly non-essential money out the window.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't spend the money - I am just having a hard time getting use to the cost of things. Guess it has to do with my age. I have a difficult time equating the cost of a fish with the cost of a horse. I know horses have also become more expensive, but I also know as the price of hay went up, and the horse population grew, people are giving horses away because they can't afford to keep them - that's if they are lucky. We have some very sad cases of neglect in this area.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I hear ya Thyra. Had some serious horse neglect cases in my area recently. When we had them 13-14yrs ago, hay was $1.00/bail. 100lb bags of horse feed was ~$16 maybe? Depends what you fed. We used wood shavings in the stalls and after awhile, you couldn't get it at saw mills anymore and had to buy bales of that. I don't recall what Ferrier visits cost, but we didn't shoe ours often. I could not imagine what it all costs today!! I never thought I'd be paying a ton for cell phones or internet.. I feel for kids trying to make it today.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
my first job was 5.15 an hour and i'm only 27. as for the spending money thing, I'm good at that lol. I got an atv, a dirtbike, my truck, a boat, hunting equipment and guns and bow, fishing equipment, my pc and games, disc golf, fish tanks, dog, cat, chinchila, and if u consider it tattoos. I am very good at spending money. but i try to do things as cheap as possible, and still maintain quality. the cheap part of it is the hardest part though lol. Luckily I can make alot of my own fishing lures, and bullets. I made my own fish tank filters. stuff like that.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Over the years I had a lots of different vehicles - none of them new (except a MC) but all were character building and have stories to tell. When you are young, you don't have the inhibitions you learn later. Back in 1960 we brought our horses from WI to Oregon in a wood trailer - no brakes, no license (WI didn't require one) pulled with a 50s Chev. had our 1 and 2 year kids with us and it was spring and the weather was terrible. It was quite an adventure. Our parents thought we were crazy - they had never been out of the state of WI and the thought of us driving through the mountains spooked them.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I have a single buddy who has a clever way of determining an "approporiate" dating age of a girl he meets. Instead of being rude and asking how old they are, he asks them what is the lowest they can remember paying for gas.

It works.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
OMG - I remember paying .18 in Fargo, ND, and that was unusual but mostly it was less than a quarter.

You only "think" you feel old OC. The first car I can say I actually owned was a Model A, but my Dad wouldn't let me take my driver's test in it, I had to borrow the carryall from the people I babysat for. Wish I had the Model A now - it would probably be worth more than any other car I've owned. LOL