Newman's 40 Gallon Planted Tank

What do you think of the tank as a whole?

• "I don't really understand what youre doing here...it looks weird"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • "The idea is half decent, but could use some improvements"

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • "Overall it looks natural and good"

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • "Awsome habitat for the fish and looks outstanding"

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Added some cal blackworms to my worm tank. hopefully those wont die. the rest are in my fridge, to be fed throughout the course of the next few weeks.

Am getting a good amount of cyclops and daphnia in my worm tank. ill atribute their appearance to the wisteria that i added.

Hatched some brine shrimp for my fry. they seem to love it, as they manage to pick it out from a First Bites mixture. (i mix the brine with the first bites)

one of the fry has started to show red color ( i think at three days old thats amaizing)

I'm thinking of removing the marimo moss from my driftwood and substituting flame moss...

random fry pic:

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Mr. Platy isnt looking too good today. He seems bloated.

He got too greedy with the blackworms yesterday, and im guessing he cant digest them. Hopefully his constipation wont kill him and everything will be allright...:(

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yes he was. Others have not had a problem with digestion yet, and are doing good ( pooping constantly like they should be; same goes for the fry)

I'll hold off on getting a male bule platy until my swordtail fry mature.

While this project is growing, im was thinking of starting up my 10 with some eco-complete...some rocks...some HC...some microsword or other grassy plant...a flourecent 3.9wpg fixture...anyone see where im going?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yes lol, the multiple tank syndrome xD

Yea, im gonna see what i can do with this iwagumi trend lol. the 10 gal has just been sitting there doin nothing for years.

The plants ill use are HC and Dwarf Sag. together with some of the zebra rocks i picked up, it should be an interesting scape... zebra rocks were the only black rock abvailable to me unfortunately. maybe i should go crazy and order some rocks online :p

The specualted fish are 10 green neon tetras and 2 otos. Talk about following the mainstream lol.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thanks a bunch!

I'm kinda getting impatient too...with the foreground of hairgrass. Its growin like a snail. maybe its just adjusting...

I still find a clump of hairgrass floating at the top once in a while. i know the goldfish does it =/ but it doesnt happen as often as it did back when i just planted the HG.

Ordered two Glo 6700K bulbs for the fixture on this 40 gal. they'll replace the stock bulbs.

I've been getting an annoying whitish film growin on the glass...im guessin its a type of algae. when i scrub it off with a paper towel, i find that its actually brown. could this be the start of a brown algae problem? I remove it from the glass during my weekly water changes anyway, so its not a real problem.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Yes lol, the multiple tank syndrome xD

Yea, im gonna see what i can do with this iwagumi trend lol. the 10 gal has just been sitting there doin nothing for years.

The plants ill use are HC and Dwarf Sag. together with some of the zebra rocks i picked up, it should be an interesting scape... zebra rocks were the only black rock abvailable to me unfortunately. maybe i should go crazy and order some rocks online :p

The specualted fish are 10 green neon tetras and 2 otos. Talk about following the mainstream lol.
You mean I was right!!?? LOL

Don't worry though, I follow the fish trend sometimes too!

I like Zebra Rock tho. Very cool! It is...unavailable to me...Well, gotta finish packing plants for a friend.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
You selling some java moss to a friend? too bad i dont know anyone who keeps tanks =/ other wise id sell em some cabomba.

I started on the 10 gal. the scape looks weird, and i was hoping to get some rock size and placement suggestions...the thread is in the advanced questions section of the forum (or somethin like that)

Apr 14, 2008
Not JUST Java Moss.....crypts, Temple Plant, etc...

When my tanks grow in a bit again, I'll see what I can do about sending you some plants to trade for some combomba...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
That'd be kinda cool! i'd have to figure out how to send live stuff tho, but itll be worth it!

On a tangent, ive just fed my swordtail/goldfish with some routine adult brine shrimp, and i saw one of the fry attack the brine and eat it whole o_o
those fry are vicious! I actually feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp, but nooo they already want the big ones xD

Could you also help me out with my 10 gal? take a look at the journal thread, and please give some suggestions on rock size and placement. thanks if you can help :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Sending live stuff is very easy! You wrap the plants in paper towels, wet them down alittle with aquarium water, put them in Ziplock Bags, then put them in a box...and ship em' out! You still need to put the address on the box tho. LOL

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
No **** (about the address)
sounds simple. warn me a head of time if you wanna do this, so that i have time to grow some cabomba cuttings in floating form. I'm growing three floating ones right now.

Apr 14, 2008
LOL...I knew that was obvious, I'm just being a smarta$$. lol

I'm hoping my baby [C. Balansae] will grow runners and I'll be able to send you a few of those and that freakish crypt that takes over everything. Those are fun plants...really pretty too...give me about a month and I think they'll have some babies.

[[EDIT: Nothing grows around my Birthday...I'm just happy the earth doesn't turn black on that horrible day tho! lol]]