Newman's 40 Gallon Planted Tank

What do you think of the tank as a whole?

• "I don't really understand what youre doing here...it looks weird"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • "The idea is half decent, but could use some improvements"

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • "Overall it looks natural and good"

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • "Awsome habitat for the fish and looks outstanding"

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2008
Looking good! Have you considered the possibility of changing the back ground to black so the plants/fish stand out?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yea ive thought about it. spray painting the back glass black. but idk how ill be able to get a spray paint can back there (so narrow), and not get the spray into the water by accident.

I added my mosses today, ill get a pic of the new look later tonight. looks a bit weird i must admit, but maybe ill have to grow into the new look more :)

Apr 14, 2008
Well, you're past the time to paint the back black[unless you put all the fish in your 10 + plants/driftwood, drain the tank and take it outside]...I painted all of mine before I set them up...

I was actually thinking more like a black background like the one you have now....just black...lol

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Here are the pics of todays renovations.

In order are the left christmas moss, the DW centerpiece with marimo, the right christmas moss, and a general view of the tank as it is now.

I got some free daphnia with the christmas moss lol, even though i rinsed it out vigorously, some of them are spawning. theyll provide good food for the future cories and swordtails :)

I was kinda thinking about ditching the anacharis and brazilian swords all together and adding a big water wisteria bush on the far left, as well as a big amazon sword on the far right...but that might seem like too much is going on and i dont really want that =/

Attachments

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I've decided to get rid of the brazilian swords and make my anacharis stems into floating plants for a while. Im going to tie them in the left corner. I have removed the 5 Brazilian swords and planted them in a separate container. They are emmersed now, the way they should be, an i really wanna see if they will grow faster this way. I dont want them in my tank anymore, they seemed miserable.

Instead i will buy three Anubias plants in a few days and make that a mid-ground line.

My Spirulina 20 flake food arrived in the mail today along with a wonder shell. Its going to be the staple diet for my swordtails. and the wonder shell...is just a good thing to have in case of low GH. :p More pics in a few days.

Apr 14, 2008
Brazilian Swords are actually submersed Peace Lillies! :mad: I can't belive people will sell those as aquatic plants! In my front yard, I have 3 GINORMUS peace lilies that are maybe 2' across EACH!! lol, They love my neglect cuz they've gone for 10 years with no water from me or my mom! it DOES get water when it rains & a HUGE Sheffilera[sp?] shades them from the harsh FL. sun.

Anyways, GL with new plants! I love anubias, crypts, moss, &, hygros[Water Wisteria, Sunset & Green Hygro, etc.] since they don't require anything from me...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Added three anubias today (i split one into halves so i have four now)
They shall be the midground line. The anacharis bunch is floating in the far left top corner (cant really see it cuz its so dark green)
I am thinking about changing to a black backdrop.
The spotted Raphael will be moved tomorrow; i made sure she's gone before i start planting the dwarf hairgrass. I will add the dwarf hairgrass on Sunday.
Heres an update:

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I ordered a T5 light Fixture for the 40 gal, with two 39 watt 36" long bulbs. I think that will benefit my tank more rather than the 20 watt 24" single bulb i have there now :p I dont even know how my Cabomba is flourishing so well at about .5 wpg. The new lighting system should bring me up to 2wpg. if not more (cuz i think my tank is actually 37 gal.)

Well worth the pretty penny i had to pay to buy it :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Anyone have any idea on what i could use to cover my tank with now? In order to install the fixture effectively, i have to remove the old cover which looks like this. Maybe i should make a screen cover or buy one? I NEED to keep the tank covered because of swordtails.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Its really difficult for me to find a lid/cover that matches my tank because its a Flat-back Hex that isnt made anymore in these dimentions. at least i couldnt find any cover for it.

I was thinking of just buying some window screen, and cutting out an appropriate peice to fit over the tank. The screen would have minimal effect on how much light is lost right?

The dimentions of the tank (top) are:

Attachments

Apr 14, 2008
Yeah...OR you could go open top?

I keep my water level a little below the rim to prevent fish from jumping out and my cats could care less about my fish...lol

The main issues would be [if you have them] cats drinking the fish water & evaporation which, belive me, is a PITA. I doubt those problems would affect you much though because your tank is bigger then mine...so it takes more time in between WC's. Mine are just a 29 and 10gal...so you can tell, it gets old quick...lol

Last edited:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
use egg crate as a top like some people do in SW tanks... It wont deflect light that much and keep fish out. Basically its used for drop ceiling lighting and looks like a white grid. You can get it at lowes in 4x2 sheets for like 10-15 bucks. Then cut it how you like easily with scissors. One side of the grid is slightly pointed and you should put that towards the water to help keep light from being deflected out.

Still need to worry about evaporation... maybe 2 gallons a week, but I just keep a jug of treated tap water around just in case. (my 29 gallon is open top)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Didnt see your post at first, unwritten law. your idea seems appealing, if only i knew of it before i spent money on window screen today lol.

I change my water once every week, so i'll end up adding any water that will be lost due to evaporation. I usually have like 20, 1gal jugs of aged water sitting around (you can see the beggining of the rows in the pic lol)

Thanks for the suggestions. I would have done that auto glass thing, Andi, but i went with screen instead, and made my own cover. looks a bit odd (with the chopstick lol) but i think it will do the job of keeping fish in.

Also i moved my Raphael cat out :'( I will really miss it. Hairgrass goes in this Sunday.

Changed bockground from the green theme to pure black like suggested. It does make for a different look :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
LOL indeed. I cant wait to see how its all goinna look with the brighter lights and the fixture and everything. I bet my plants will look a lot greener than now.
This is what it looks like with the black backdrop, and a 20 watt bulb (as opposed to the 18 watt plant-growth bulb from before)

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
It looks great!! I really like how everything stands out rather then blend in...

PS. I want that black/orange Oranda! I've never seen on like them!...Oh well...