Newman's 40 Gallon Planted Tank

What do you think of the tank as a whole?

• "I don't really understand what youre doing here...it looks weird"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • "The idea is half decent, but could use some improvements"

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • "Overall it looks natural and good"

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • "Awsome habitat for the fish and looks outstanding"

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thanks, i think that Cabomba is actually growing. it seemed to grow 1/2" in two days. Its actually reaching the filter intake now.

I'm planning on getting rid of the goldfish (and im still debating on whether to let the raphael and pleco stay)

Ill get 6 peppered cory and 4 swordtails (1 male)
That is unless i decide to breed swords with platy's or molly to make some color variations.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
The Pleco is now gone..
Sold it to a LFS for $5. they said it was in "amaizing condition" Idk what that means by their standards, but not much by mine.

I hope my parents wont rip my face off when they find out he's gone. *thumbsdow

Current plan is to get rid of the raphael cat and the GF and buy one blue platy male and a blood red swordtail female and breed them.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Parents didnt freak too much yesterday.

My anacharis isnt doing so hot. It turned a darker green and isnt growing fast like it should. Damn goldfish must be nipping it too much.

I bought four more stems of light green healthy-looking anacharis. Hopefully the old small stems will grow a little...
Cabomba's growing good. Ive had to use a wire to keep it away from the filter intake.

Apr 14, 2008
You're lucky...My 55gal can't be touched! I can add fish and plants...but once my mom likes them, they are there to stay! LOL

I really like the Pineapple Swordtails...they are awesome! Especially the Hi-Fin ones...but I don't have any of those. :(

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thanks for the swordtail suggestion man, and i feel ya on that parent thing. My mom is extremely defensive about the fish in our 40 gal. I dont usually ask before i do something with it, i just do it lol, and hope she doesnt rip my face off afterwards.

I can imagine that she's gonna be very angry when i give away my Raphael cat, or if the goldfish dies (The ammonia in my tank is at 1 ppm right now :( )

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Well, she IS the one who bought it and held it for 12 years, before I was even around it. Im just the one pouring my money into it right now, so she doesnt mind too much. She cant really do anything to all the stuff that i put into the tank. Plus i think she'll love the view when its all set and done :)

Heres what it looks like, spilling into the second week of renovations:

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Yeah...I guess! ;)

The 55 is technically mine allowing me to do whatever I want with it. All of my mom's orignal fish have kinda died off, so it houses mine now...

It might temp. house my 2 Fancies from the 29 since I'm going to be setting it up a new stand and changing the substrate to moon sand...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ahh goldfish...the cows of the tank lol GL with them.

I can't wait to get my driftwood into the tank (i know ive been saying that alot lately ) but srsly, the tannins need to stop... I've boiled it to no end, and still continuing to do so.

On a side note, I have ordered a container of Spirulina 20 to be the base diet for my future swordtails (and my cories)

Apr 14, 2008
ROFL! I love my "Cows"!

I know what's it's like to want DW in the main tank...you look at it floating and it's like "SIIIIIINNNNNKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!" LOL

I'm going to be getting some new DW for the 55gal[to kinda have the appearance of branches] and it's probably take some time to sink! Atleast I have a peice of Mopani in there already...that's pleco territory! :D

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Haha, yea mopani is great cuz it sunk the moment it touched the water.

I'm not rying to diss all goldfish (ive had them for the past 11 years) im just saying that theyre literally cows lol.

Branched driftwood will look very nice. i thought about that before but went with this particular mopani peice for the center, and some random DW for the sides, since they'll have christmas moss over them anyway.

Apr 14, 2008
I like cristmas moss[I got a blob of it from a friend] but it didnt thrive when I had it in lower light...I'd really recommend Java Moss since it'd give your Sword-platy fry some hidey places! :D

PS. Goldies ARE cows! I've had them since 2006 but recently got 2 new ones[1 didn't survive though! :(]

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I wouldnt concider my light so low. i mean its below average wpg but the plants i have in there seem to be lovin it. Its gonna be an experiment to see if i can successfully grow christmas on my driftwood. I think itll do just as well for the fry as java moss, and it might even look better :)

As soon as you see the driftwood in my tank, you can expect that soon ill be attaching moss to it (Christmas moss for the two small peices, one on each side. and Marimo moss/algae on the centerpiece.)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I see your point, but thats part of the plan i guess. first i set up a good planted tank and then add my favorite fish that are compatible with the tank setup.

I'm not good with plants man, i just want some nice hiding places for fish fry to live in...

Im fascinated with plants cuz its new to me. Yea I do SEEM to be devoting a lot of attenton to my plants, rather than the fish, but that will change in the future.

Im trying to get a good natural-looking tank with some of my favorite fish. I'm striving to breed my fish as well, so wouldnt it be common sense to have a comfortable tank for them?

What do you suggest Kyle?

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I see your point, but thats part of the plan i guess. first i set up a good planted tank and then add my favorite fish that are compatible with the tank setup.

I'm not good with plants man, i just want some nice hiding places for fish fry to live in...

Im fascinated with plants cuz its new to me. Yea I do SEEM to be devoting a lot of attenton to my plants, rather than the fish, but that will change in the future.

Im trying to get a good natural-looking tank with some of my favorite fish. I'm striving to breed my fish as well, so wouldnt it be common sense to have a comfortable tank for them?

What do you suggest Kyle?
Man, I'm no one to suggest anything... I'm learning like a mad-man myself.. I have a 37 gallon as my latest habitat to manage, and I know more about it now than I ever have, but my wife hates aquariums, so I don't think I'll ever realize my dream of a 55 gallon...

What I have learned as of late is that algae destroyer liquid can make your water so crystal clear that it's amazing if it's an algae bloom that's clouding your water.. I've sold tanks in the past because I couldn't clear them up.. My 37 is so clear that I can't stop looking at it, but I know that the water that these fish come from is likely cloudy and murky.. We humans want it clear so that we can see our fish, but it's not likely their natural habitat...

Man, there is so much to lean other than just buy a tank, fill it with water and throw some fish in....

I cycled my 37 gallon in about 3 days using media from an established tank, and it's the healthiest tank that I've ever managed now..

I have two live plants.. I do love live plants for the benefits they bring, but I was just jealous of that beautiful tank you have that you seemed to devote to plants.. I'm not THAT much in love with plants..

But if you plan to introduce fish later, then all is good.. You should have a very healthy tank..

My tank: http://winchenchronicles.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=photos&action=display&thread=732

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I like the way your background actually compliments your tank really well! Your fish variety is cool too. Clear water, like you said, thats really hard to do without F'ng up something in your tank's bio balance, well done.

I value your opinion, no matter how much experience you have, cuz you seem to be giving actual thought to this, thanks :)

Thanks for the algae liquid tip man, it could very well come in handy for me (i love clear water)

Sorry about your wife not liking the aquarium hobby man, but you dont always have to go Big in terms of tanks in order to live real dreams hehe.

Man, plants can be a huge pain in the arse, and thats one of the reasons i hate them. But youre right, all the benefits they can provide (controlling ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, producing oxigen for fish, providing food source for fry, etc..) make them a great addition to any tank!

I plan to clear the tank of present fish (because they dont mix well with my live plants and wont mix well with the smaller fish i plan on introducing) And Introduce a school of 6 peppered cory cats, and i also plan on trying to get a blue swordtail from breeding a blue platy male and a red swordtail female. It'll be really exciting to see what colors i get in the brood.

My tank isn't all about the plants, its gonna be all about the fish that i plan to breed :) ! The plants are just extra lol.

Also, i am deeply sorry for the Giant Gourami you used to have. I could tell that you were pretty attached to that fish... :(
Better luck with your future fish keeping *BOUNCINGS

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I've dicided to add the driftwood to the tank tonight. boiling it for another week would be too much of a drag. I say slap some active carbon into my filter and throw those pups in :)

Ill get a pic later tonight when its finished.