New Smoking Ban in Bangor, Maine

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
Katie217 said:
Good as far as I'm concerned, on the 7th was my moms 1 year of being smoke free. Life in the house is alot better now ;)
*celebrate hooray! i agree that this law is great. my friend is 19 and she took up smoking less than a year ago. it's bad enough when people take it up as kids, they're young and they don't know any better... but my friend... it's just stupid.

here's what i wanna do to her ----> *crazysmil

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
wow.....

I mean I'm against smoking and everything, but the whole thing strikes me as kinda heavy handed. Is it such a problem they feel they need a law for it? I don't know..If I smoked and if I had a kid, I certainly wouldn't do it in an enclosed area like inside a car with the windows up, but I just don't think this needs to be a law... I guess I tend to feel the less government tells me how to live my life (and everyone elses) the better..
I'm curious, is smoking in restaurants and other indoor places still legal in Maine?

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
R0UNDEYEZ said:
wow.....

I mean I'm against smoking and everything, but the whole thing strikes me as kinda heavy handed. Is it such a problem they feel they need a law for it? I don't know..If I smoked and if I had a kid, I certainly wouldn't do it in an enclosed area like inside a car with the windows up, but I just don't think this needs to be a law... I guess I tend to feel the less government tells me how to live my life (and everyone elses) the better..
I'm curious, is smoking in restaurants and other indoor places still legal in Maine?
i don't live in maine. but smoking in restaurants became illegal a while ago hear, probably about 4 years ago. funny, i almost forget it's still allowed in other states!

i also agree that this law has more to do with protecting children than telling people not to smoke. though i am not incredibly against the government putting laws into place that make smokers think twice about their bad habits.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
It's actually sad the gov has to make a law of something you would think in is common since. I also think if smokers with kids are going to smoke at home they should do it outside.

I have no problem with smoking I just see the need to infect everyone else with the habit especially your kids. My mom used to smoke in the house and then my brother years later. It's nice not to have to breath all that in any more.

:mad: :mad: :mad: OH BOY!!!! TALK about an invasion of privacy by the damn gov't. What are they going to do next? Install cams in people's homes to regulate and control their lives even more? I thought that this country was a DEMOCRACY?
Sure, I am all for protecting kids that cannot stick up for themselves, BUT this is WAY TOO MUCH. The Gov't starts doing this.... who knows where else they can invade your privacy. FIRST CLASS BS if you ask me. The police should be out looking for felons and pedophiles, and not this. :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS..... Are the Feds now going to install smoke detectors in cars that are centralized to 911 dispatch?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I think what Cindy is saying is that its a good idea and great for the kids, but the goverment is getting too personal. Before you know it they are going to be controling what we do in our houses'. And honestly I agree.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I'm all for making things safer for children, however like someone in the article said "most smokers have enough common sense to not smoke around kids in a car". I'm on the fence about it. I generally don't smoke in my car if my nephew is with me unless it's summer and my window is rolled all the way down. And I position my arm so that most of the smoke goes outside anyway - whether I have passengers or not.

What interests me is that not only did they pass this city ordinance - they approved it as a primary offence - not a secondary one. So if a police officer sees you smoking - they have every right to pull you over under the assumption you have a child in the car. A secondary offense would be only if you were speeding, had a headlight out, etc. then they could also get you for smoking with a child in the car.

I'm wondering how they are going to enforce this. Will they have signs posted all over the city for people who don't live here and are just travelling through that you cannot smoke with a child in the car? It will be interesting. And I agree with whoever said it, I think cell phone use is more imminently dangerous for all passengers of a car while driving. I hate when my cell phone rings in the car and I hate talking on it while I'm driving.

ROUNDEYEZ, in Maine you cannot smoke in any public place, restaurants/bars/stores, etc.

f8fan said:
What interests me is that not only did they pass this city ordinance - they approved it as a primary offence - not a secondary one. So if a police officer sees you smoking - they have every right to pull you over under the assumption you have a child in the car. A secondary offense would be only if you were speeding, had a headlight out, etc. then they could also get you for smoking with a child in the car.

This is interesting Kelly.....Appears to me that smokers in cars are worse than speeders ..... What a crock...
look at this scenario:
The cops will stop and ticket a smoker first, before stopping a speeder going thru a school zone!
The more I see "big brother" sticking their noses in where it does not belong, the more faith I lose in this Country. Especially now that Dubya wants to send in MORE TROOPS to IRAQ! My son is next on the FREAKIN LIST.:(

BTW... How is your Mom doing?

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
The "OMG THEY'YE WON'T LET ME (insert X hot-button, minor issue), IT'S A GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOM!!1!1!!" argument gets tedious after a while.

Smoking is dangerous, secondhand smoke equally so. Sitting in a car with someone who is smoking _is_ hazardous to your health. Children are considered helpless in the eyes of the law (for good reason, IMO). Therefore... I'd say this law makes sense...

And no... nobody is going to pull over a smoker before they pull over a speeder. Could we keep the discussion at least a little rational please?

And just to clarify... it's the military commanders in Iraq that want more troops... not Dubya...

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
This is garbage. I'm sick of the government sticking their noses in everyone's business like this. I think that people that smoke in their cars with kids are a$$wipes but when it boils down to it is their decision and nobody else's business.

Omaha recently instated a smoking ban in any establishment that serves food. Guess what smoking isn't illegal and if a restaurant or bar wants smoking in their business then it should be up to the owner to decide not the city council members. in 5 years all places in Omaha will be nonsmoking and right now everyone goes to bars that allow it and don't serve food which shows that the citizens want smoking establishments and the morons we elect are taking away the rights of the citizens do partake in a perfectly legal activity and the owners of businesses to decide what is best for them.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I dont care who they pull over. I dont smoke but still think that its too personal. Yes kids are helpless but you cant tell a parent how to raise their kids. I think they are going to have more problems trying to enforce this law than they think. And I think that the goverment needs to get out of our personal lives. Cause I think if they keep going people are going to get annoyed and something aweful is going to come from it. And dont think that I feel parents/people should smoke around their kids, thats not it at all. I just think that the goverment is going a bit too far.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
cinlnk said:
BTW... How is your Mom doing?
She is moving right along. She finally got released from Mass General yesterday so she is at a rehabilitation facility in Waterville, Maine. (Like 45 mins. south of me) We were in Boston 20 days!! Her short-term memory isn't quite up to par yet but her long term is better than mine is ;). She's really weak so she'll get a lot of physical rehab to build her strength back up - and some speech therapy to sharpen her short-term memory. In a couple weeks she can get released - FOR GOOD - and I'm going to have her stay with me until she is back 100%.