New Smoking Ban in Bangor, Maine

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Lotus said:
If the city and state governments got smart, they could license an establishment to allow smoking. So, if people wanted to go to a restaurant or bar where they can smoke, they can do so, provided the owner wanted to pay for a license. Bars or restaurants could then advertise themselves as smoker friendly, and the cities could stop whining about how the revenue was dropping.
City governments license the sale of alcohol at all alcohol resales places.
The city councils must approve of drug stores, bars, walmart, etc before alcohol is sold.
You are right, they could license bars for smoking.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
Breene said:
I think its an invasion of privacy myself. If people are smoking in cars with small children in them then they shouldn't be allowed to have kids. But to accually ban smoking in cars is a bit too far. I dont smoke cigarettes but i personally dont mind them... I like walking into a restraunt and smelling it.

so your saying i should not be allowed to have kids because i smoke? i grew up with alot more things hazardous to my health than a bit of ciggarette smoke, asbestos, lead paint, poisonous cleaning products, the list goes on, and you know what, im a perfectly healthy adult, and my kids have never had a health problem aside from a cold every once in a while.

everytime you start your car, it puts off more toxins than if you light up a whole pack at once, so maybe they should ban kids riding in cars! and i think that people need to be worrying more about the bigger problems going on in the world than who smokes and how bad it is for them, OMG protect me from myself!!! i know its bad for me, but its my RIGHT to chose to do so, not the governments or anyone elses, i dont smoke in public places, not because its illegal, but because i do have respect for others around me, and in the car is another story, its not affecting anyone else, and BTW i live in florida, i dont have to worry about my kids freezing with the windows down....

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Fishckabibble said:
i grew up with alot more things hazardous to my health than a bit of ciggarette smoke, asbestos, lead paint, poisonous cleaning products
Asbestos = banned
lead paint = banned
poisonous cleaning products = banned / reformulated / regulated

What's next on that list? j/k

everytime you start your car, it puts off more toxins than if you light up a whole pack at once
But the car's serving a purpose - transportation.

i think that people need to be worrying more about the bigger problems going on in the world than who smokes and how bad it is for them
People worry about things that have a direct connection to their daily life. Thats why more people are concerned about smoke in their restaurants than starving people in Africa.

i dont smoke in public places, not because its illegal, but because i do have respect for others around me
If all smokers thought like you, this debate probably wouldn't be happening.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Just for conversations sake:
Not to pick on anyone.
i grew up with alot more things hazardous to my health than a bit of ciggarette smoke, asbestos, lead paint, poisonous cleaning products, the list goes on
And those products have been outlawed or voluntarily removed from the market.

everytime you start your car, it puts off more toxins than if you light up a whole pack at once, so maybe they should ban kids riding in cars!
Those fumes are expelled away from the vehicle and are not confined and concentrated.

i know its bad for me, but its my RIGHT to chose to do so, not the governments or anyone elses, i dont smoke in public places, not because its illegal, but because i do have respect for others around me, and in the car is another story, its not affecting anyone else, and BTW i live in florida, i dont have to worry about my kids freezing with the windows down....
Everyone has a right harm their own health.
No one has the right to harm another's health.
"Another" includes their own families (elderly, children, etc.)

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Fishckabibble said:
so your saying i should not be allowed to have kids because i smoke? i grew up with alot more things hazardous to my health than a bit of ciggarette smoke, asbestos, lead paint, poisonous cleaning products, the list goes on, and you know what, im a perfectly healthy adult, and my kids have never had a health problem aside from a cold every once in a while.

everytime you start your car, it puts off more toxins than if you light up a whole pack at once, so maybe they should ban kids riding in cars! and i think that people need to be worrying more about the bigger problems going on in the world than who smokes and how bad it is for them, OMG protect me from myself!!! i know its bad for me, but its my RIGHT to chose to do so, not the governments or anyone elses, i dont smoke in public places, not because its illegal, but because i do have respect for others around me, and in the car is another story, its not affecting anyone else, and BTW i live in florida, i dont have to worry about my kids freezing with the windows down....
No one is attaching you personally. People have their opinion about this and some are more sensitive than others. I also grew up in a house with a smoker that smoked in the car, with the window open (somewhat). I too am a health adult but there are a lot of kids (not saying yours) that are NOT healthy because their parents smoke in the house/car. Some peoples bodies are more susceptible to thing than others. (BTW that smoker I grew up with died when I was 11 from a smoking related illness)

The comment I said about kids freezing in the cold was not directed to you and only you it was directed to the people (mostly here in the north) that open the window in the middle of winter to get their fix. Their poor kids are freezing in the back seat but they are getting what they couldn't wait to do when they got where they were going. (My friend does it to her kid all the time).

But on the other hand the things you listed above are all things you are not Breathing in, in a confined space like a car. (I would hope you aren't breathing in asbestos, lead paint and cleaning products while you are in your car).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
***sigh*** Pretty soon candy will be banned, causes cavities..chips will be banned, bad for kids..happy meals will be banned, the grease in the burgers..Parks will be banned..kids may fall break a leg..

Im a smoker..If i feel like smoking in the car with my kids, its my business,my car,my kids..They ban this, but most people who smoke in cars, smoke in their homes..Are they going to ban you from doing that also???? I am not a fan of the government..ugh i dont even feel like arguing..its just soo stupid...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Since june 2006 here the law passed and the health minister banned smoking everywhere, and even outside you must be at 9 meters of the closest door ..if not, you have a 400 $ fee and if you do it again, it's worse. Bars that allow smoking can be fined 10 000 $ for each smoker inside....funny thing, the minister ( a doctor ) , loves cigars so cigar lounges are still opened...but no bar can allow smoking cigarettes. Since 30% of the people still smoke, the bar are kinda empty. This winter, a lot of bar are going to close.
Smoking is bad, yes, we all agree...but close the factories..don't treat adult like kids...oh wait...if 8 $ out of 10 is a tax...well the factories are still opened.
I understand that the vast majority of people can't stand smoke in a restaurant or in closed area and the owners should be able to choose if they want a smoking establishment or not.
Also the 9 meter law...a hummer can be closer to the door than a smoker..wich one of the 2 is more dangerous for your health...come on.
There is a hotline where you can call and tell wich establishment allowed smoking, or wich people trespassed the law.
In Ireland, since the law passed, they have 2% more smokers..i think they're pissed ;)

50% of a cigarette pack are covered with lungs from smokers or brain exploded ( in quebec )...so yes, we can see smoking is bad.

It's getting out of proportion.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
lol i find that pic really funny!!!!! i have smoked almost 2 packs a day for the last few years, and your teeth and gums only get like that from improper care, brush 2 times a day, visit your dentist, and use mouthwash and that will never happen, i have never had a single problem with my teeth not a cavity or anything, and i eat sweets, smoke and have a bad habit of chewing on things (pen caps, fingernails ect.)

now, meth, that will rot your teeth, and crack, and other harmful drugs, but i have never met a smoker (that did take care of their teeth) that looked like that.......

the anti- smoking and other organizations/groups that publish or talk about this stuff, are just as bad as PETA in so many ways!!!! they inflate the truth, spread fear amoung the population, and because they say so, it must be TRUE!!!

its ok to kill yourself by heart disease, clogged arteries, obesity, go ahead eat Mc Donalds 4 times a week, its ok because at least its not smoking.

i only let my kids eat fast food, or junk food for that matter around 1 time a month if that, they get home cooked meals, healthy snacks, and are a picture of health, but me smoking in the car with them (not inside or around them anywhere else) it should be a crime?
(BTW im a stay at home mom and rarely have a vehicle to go places in so even when i smoke in the car its not that often)

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
the same guys wanna decide that you can't smoke at home either..here.
So you could be thrown out of your apartment if the landlord catches you smoking in your home...
A non smoking heroin junkie would be tolerate ;) ( if he pays the rent )..no smoke stains on the walls.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
lol im not trying to sound snappy in any of my replies, or rude or offensive, i have been in a bad mood, but i do have valid points!!! and yes i know all of the things i have mentioned are/have been/ banned but i was using it as an example, i grew up around all the things that they say were bad for our health and im still ALIVE!!! and well.... and im sure most of the people on here have grown up around something bad as well and are still healthy

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Fishckabibble said:
its ok to kill yourself by heart disease, clogged arteries, obesity, go ahead eat Mc Donalds 4 times a week, its ok because at least its not smoking.
The difference is, those sitting near you in a McDonalds are not affected by what you are doing to your body with that Big Mac. Whereas smoking can interact with people other than the intended user. I don't think anyone cares about things that are done that only affect the one that made the decision to use them. It's the 'collateral damage' that has so many anti-smoking people up in arms.

JoluvsGuppies said:
Im a smoker..If i feel like smoking in the car with my kids, its my business,my car,my kids
It's this attitude that makes them write laws of this sort. Just because you (generic you) are a parent of those kids, does not give you the right to expose them to adverse health conditions. So, they have to write laws to control people when their common-logic fails. Having kids is different than owning a car, those kids are people too - that sometimes need the protection of the law.

Fishckabibble said:
i grew up around all the things that they say were bad for our health and im still ALIVE!!!
Ya know, I was exposed to rather high doses of radiation when I worked at a Nuclear plant... but I'm still alive, so that must mean radation is not harmful, and power companies should be able to release it into the atmosphere, and burry nuclear waste in school yards. (same line of thinking)

Like it or not, if it's justified or not, smokers are the 'bad guys' of our society. In legislation, in common thought, in movies, etc. - smokers are always made out as the bad guys. That perception is not going to change anytime soon, if ever. The less attention smokers draw to themselves, the less flack (and laws) they're going to receive about it.

Last edited:

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
GIS Guy said:
Everyone has a right harm their own health.
No one has the right to harm another's health.
"Another" includes their own families (elderly, children, etc.)
Smoking harms others.
Eating a cholesterol sandwich does not.

You (generic) do not have the right, authority, freedom, privilege, or justification to place anyone else's health (short term or long term) in danger.
It doesn't matter if the kids are yours (generic) or not, they are still people.

Laws are constantly being passed and reviewed to ensure the health and safety of society.

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoluvsGuppies
Im a smoker..If i feel like smoking in the car with my kids, its my business,my car,my kids

It's this attitude that makes them write laws of this sort. Just because you (generic you) are a parent of those kids, does not give you the right to expose them to adverse health conditions. So, they have to write laws to control people when their common-logic fails. Having kids is different than owning a car, those kids are people too - that sometimes need the protection of the law.
I still think it's ridiculous..Most parents will not smoke in their cars with children in there. If they do, they most likely smoke at home, 10 times more then in a car.. I dont think banning will help much in protecting those children..

Just because you (generic you) are a parent of those kids, does not give you the right to expose them to adverse health conditions
Smoking is not the only thing bad for their health, there are so many other things, like i mentioned fast food, sweets. The only people that can control their health is their own parents..Its a fact that many American children are obese,due to fast food, in the long run heart problems, clogged arteries,that is a major factor in health problem also.. So why not ban fatty foods?? So you see..I do have the right to make them eat all this junk, and make them obese later, But ( I )choose not to..

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Well, since most parents are not smoking with kids in the car, this law really doesn't do much other than protect the minority of children with parents that do smoke in the car, doesn't it? So, no big deal for smokers then. As for smoking at home, yes it is still unhealthy, but at least it is not as confined and concentrated as an automobile.

As for the second part, they're working on making really unhealthy foods illegal - such as the trans-fat bans a few cities have imposed. I'm not sure where in Illinois you live, but Chicago has been in the news a lot for their legislation to ban trans-fats.

Last edited:

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
So you see..I do have the right to make them eat all this junk, and make them obese later, But ( I )choose not to..
I see it differently, it's black and white.....or protecting and harming.

Parents have the authority and right to protect their children.
They do not have the authority and right to harm their children.

Forcing children to breath 2nd hand smoke and eat fast food is harmful.
The parent that chooses to feed their child vegetables instead of fast food is protecting that child.
The parent that chooses to smoke in a vehicle is harming that child.

Children, for the most part, are unable to protect themselves from harm in the world.
Therefore, parents must take responsibility upon themselves for the wellbeing of the child.
This certainly includes minimalizing fat/cholesterol intake, 2nd hand smoke, drugs, cleansers, etc., etc.

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
What I am trying to say is.. I dont believe children should be exposed to cigarette smoke, yes its bad for them, but they will be exposed to it either way..

Many non-smokers agree to this ban. But you are not seeing that the government is trying to rule your rights..

Or smoking in restaurants..If the owner allows it.. why not?? Why should he be told what to do? If you dont like the smoke ..go to another restaurant..If you dont like the food in the restaurant what do you do? go somewhere else..Same thing..No one is forcing you to eat at that restaurant..or be exposed to the smoke..

Pretty soon, you wont be able to do anything.. Yeah wheres our freedom??

Its not the smoking ban that pi..es me off..
There are better things for the government to to do than to try and control peoples private lives..

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
The government isn't trying to rule your rights, they are protecting the rights of others.

As was said a few pages back, what freedom are you losing? They're not saying you can't smoke, just saying you have to do it elsewhere.

Also as said before, smoking bans for restaurants are not just for patrons, but employees.

As for the government having better things to do, it's not like this is being debated on the Senate floor in D.C. Smoking bans are local government issues, in which case the betterment of lives of the people in their community IS what they are there to do.

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
Are they protecting the rights of the owners of these places to decide for themselves?

Everyone is forgetting that nobody has to go to these places if they don't want to and that we don’t need government stepping in and telling up what we can and can’t do.