New Smoking Ban in Bangor, Maine

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Dr.Gonzo said:
This is garbage. I'm sick of the government sticking their noses in everyone's business like this. I think that people that smoke in their cars with kids are a$$wipes but when it boils down to it is their decision and nobody else's business.

Omaha recently instated a smoking ban in any establishment that serves food. Guess what smoking isn't illegal and if a restaurant or bar wants smoking in their business then it should be up to the owner to decide not the city council members. in 5 years all places in Omaha will be nonsmoking and right now everyone goes to bars that allow it and don't serve food which shows that the citizens want smoking establishments and the morons we elect are taking away the rights of the citizens do partake in a perfectly legal activity and the owners of businesses to decide what is best for them.
I agree to a point but here is the thing. That ban was put in place to protect the work staff that needs the job so they can pay their bill but not have to get sick at the same time. If your working in that field you can't exactly be picky about it and say, "Oh, I'm not taking that job because they allow smoking" Business baned smoking years ago for that very reason. You as a non smoker shouldn't have to sit in your cube breathing in Joe Shmo smoke in the cube next to you then go home stinking. They can still smoke at work but outside.

So that goes back to the ban on smoking in a car with a child in it. The child (anyone under 12/13) can't say I'm not going with said parent because they are smoking.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
f8fan said:
She is moving right along. She finally got released from Mass General yesterday so she is at a rehabilitation facility in Waterville, Maine. (Like 45 mins. south of me) We were in Boston 20 days!! Her short-term memory isn't quite up to par yet but her long term is better than mine is ;). She's really weak so she'll get a lot of physical rehab to build her strength back up - and some speech therapy to sharpen her short-term memory. In a couple weeks she can get released - FOR GOOD - and I'm going to have her stay with me until she is back 100%.
That's great news Kelly!! Jess and I'll will have to make a trip up there sometime. We just need to work on the men in our lives...;)

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
FishGeek said:
I dont care who they pull over. I dont smoke but still think that its too personal. Yes kids are helpless but you cant tell a parent how to raise their kids. I think they are going to have more problems trying to enforce this law than they think. And I think that the goverment needs to get out of our personal lives. Cause I think if they keep going people are going to get annoyed and something aweful is going to come from it. And dont think that I feel parents/people should smoke around their kids, thats not it at all. I just think that the goverment is going a bit too far.
It's funny Jess, take me back about 15 years ago when I was closer to your age and I had pretty much the same views. As I got older (and it will for you too) your views on things change. I have a big problem with kids that come to Girl Scouts and stink of smoke because the parents were smoking with them in the car/house. Why should a child smell of smoke...and if they smell of smoke it means they were breathing it as well. I'm not saying we should tell people how to raise their children and if you think about it smoking is a personal choice and has nothing to do with how someone is raising a child. It's kind of like wearing plad...bad fasion statement but nothing do do with raising a child.

Going to far would be when they start taking kids away from parents that smoke.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Jeez... first they say you can't drink Jack Daniels while driving because "it's dangerous to others," now you can't smoke while driving because it's also "dangrous to others." What a bunch of commies! [/satire]

Your rights only go as far until they infringe upon the rights of others. The rights of non-smokers [kids in this case] being protected to not be afflicted by smoke is the point of non-smoking laws.

'Smokers rights' come second, not because of the health danger stuff, but under a 'normal condition' that smoke is not present - so it is in normal rights that people do not have to be in contact with it.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
Wow kelly this is by far one of the dumbest things Bangor has done yet!!!!!! i got more of a kick out of reading all the comments to it than the article itself!!!! lol i do smoke in the car with my kids, BUT my widows are always down and i always have the fan on so the majority of it goes right out the window anyhow, i even being a smoker, cant stand second hand smoke, it makes my sick, but i know that i can safly smoke in the car without KILLING my kids in doing so, most of the people i know that smoke keep their windows down when smoking anyways so, does it realy affect most kids? im so glad i dont live up there anymore!!! lol and im even more glad i went to brewer schools than Bangor LOL

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Fishckabibble said:
i got more of a kick out of reading all the comments to it than the article itself!!!!
Yeah this one was pretty funny....

Congradulations Bangor! I am a non-smoker and applaud your effort. But, if your going to do somthing, do it right. Outlaw the sale, possession and usage of all tobacco products within City limits. Also, if your really out to protect the children living in and visiting the Queen City, also outlaw any food containing more the 3% fat content. Also, outlaw the lottery and gambling so parents can't waste theit money on those vices. And lets re-introduce prohibition. The affects of Alcohol killed far more people in the city of Bangor last year then second-hand smoke did. And not forget to install a fine for the posession and use of matches, lighters ect. after all without them a parent can't light that all important cigarette. Wait, greenhouse gasses are killing us all...SAVE US BANGOR CITY COUNCIL..BAN all fossil fuel based motor vehicles from operating within the City of Bangor. Solves both problems, no parents smoking in cars with kids and no greenhouse gasses!!! Oh, and don't forget to shut down BIA, one 747 taking off dumps more pollutants into the air in Bangor then if EVERY citizen lit up a pack a day!

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
FishGeek said:
Wouldnt be nice if it was as easy as banning cigeretts.
Well, that would probably infringe on the rights of smokers. IMO, they have the right to smoke wherever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe upon anyone else (which is why it is banned in many public places).

Besides, look how heavily cigarettes are taxed. The gov. wouldn't ban something that is a major source of income. That'd just lead to black-market cigarettes that the gov. collected no tax from.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Fishckabibble said:
Wow kelly this is by far one of the dumbest things Bangor has done yet!!!!!! i got more of a kick out of reading all the comments to it than the article itself!!!! lol i do smoke in the car with my kids, BUT my widows are always down and i always have the fan on so the majority of it goes right out the window anyhow, i even being a smoker, cant stand second hand smoke, it makes my sick, but i know that i can safly smoke in the car without KILLING my kids in doing so, most of the people i know that smoke keep their windows down when smoking anyways so, does it realy affect most kids? im so glad i dont live up there anymore!!! lol and im even more glad i went to brewer schools than Bangor LOL

One of my best friends is also a smoker (has smoked since we were in Jr high) and smokes with her kid in the car. She says the same thing that she has the window open but her kid still smells like smoke when her kid gets out of the car she still smells like smoke. No she on the other hand does not smoke in the house. Why can't people that smoke just smoke their butt before they get in the car and/or when they get out?

Just a question...in the winter do you (general you, not a directed you) smoke in the car with the window all the way down so your child freezes in the back seat while you get your fix or is it partly open.

I've also seen plenty of people that open the window 3 inches while smoking in the car with kids and I'm assuming they call that smoking with the windows open.

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
angelmom said:
I agree to a point but here is the thing. That ban was put in place to protect the work staff that needs the job so they can pay their bill but not have to get sick at the same time. If your working in that field you can't exactly be picky about it and say, "Oh, I'm not taking that job because they allow smoking" Business baned smoking years ago for that very reason. You as a non smoker shouldn't have to sit in your cube breathing in Joe Shmo smoke in the cube next to you then go home stinking. They can still smoke at work but outside.

So that goes back to the ban on smoking in a car with a child in it. The child (anyone under 12/13) can't say I'm not going with said parent because they are smoking.
If someone is unhappy with their job for any reason then they need to go get a new one plain and simple. I don't care what the excuse is nobody has to work anywhere if they don't want to.

One more thing I'd like to mention is that ANY time the government makes a law prohibiting anything it needs to be closely scrutinized by all, even if you agree with it. We give our elected officials too much power to make decisions for us and our complacency will allow them to take everything away from us. (Sorry but I’ve been sick of the government for a while and I watched Children of Men last weekend and it scared the sh*t of me)

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Dr.Gonzo said:
If someone is unhappy with their job for any reason then they need to go get a new one plain and simple. I don't care what the excuse is nobody has to work anywhere if they don't want to.

One more thing I'd like to mention is that ANY time the government makes a law prohibiting anything it needs to be closely scrutinized by all, even if you agree with it. We give our elected officials too much power to make decisions for us and our complacency will allow them to take everything away from us. (Sorry but I’ve been sick of the government for a while and I watched Children of Men last weekend and it scared the sh*t of me)
Yes, but at the time unless you worked in another profession and not wait staff (good wait staff makes a heck of a lot money) then you were doomed to breath in other peoples smoke because other than a couple of sections (and at one time they didn't even have those) restaruants and bars were all smoking. How do you find another job in your line of work that does not have a health hazard if everywhere you are qualified to work has the same health hazard? You should not have to change your line of work just to breath fresh air. So yes you could find another job or even change your line of work but you shouldn't have to. Breathing is not a right it is a necessity, smoking is not a necessity it a right. You (again a general you, not a directed you) have the right to smoke where ever and when ever as long as, I or anyone else doesn't have to while you do.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Don't be silly angelmom... I have the right to do whatever I want... it doesn't matter what's good for other people. I'm the only person who matters. How dare you suggest otherwise...

Kids? Who cares... If they don't want to breath toxic chemicals, they should just switch parents.
</sarcasm>

You guys may be "scared" of the government "sticking their noses" in your business. Frankly, I'm sick of of this arrogant sense of self-entitlement most Americans have.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
This law doesn't suprise me in the least, Last year in Madison WI, They passed law that prohibits smoking in bars, ALL bars, restaurants have been smoke free for some time now. I do agree with not smoking anywhere near children, I however would like to think most smoking parents have enough common sense to not do so, I'm probably giving more credit than is due...

This law is probably not far from being here as well.

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
JWright said:
Don't be silly angelmom... I have the right to do whatever I want... it doesn't matter what's good for other people. I'm the only person who matters. How dare you suggest otherwise...

Kids? Who cares... If they don't want to breath toxic chemicals, they should just switch parents.
</sarcasm>

You guys may be "scared" of the government "sticking their noses" in your business. Frankly, I'm sick of of this arrogant sense of self-entitlement most Americans have.
Kind of like how I'm sick of lazy citizens that will give up all of their freedom for a little security. We are absolutely entitled to freedom especially if we work for it, if you haven't forgotten.

Also if waiters don’t want to deal with the smoke they can find a new job where they don’t have to or find a restaurant that does not allow it, that way everyone is happy. These people aren't victims. I've had jobs that I didn't like for a number of reasons and I've always found new work. :)

As for the kids they aren't yours to worry about.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Dr.Gonzo said:
Kind of like how I'm sick of lazy citizens that will give up all of their freedom for a little security. We are absolutely entitled to freedom especially if we work for it, if you haven't forgotten.
Aside from the smoking debate, (and carrying a machete on an airplane) what can you not do today that you could do 5 years ago? Eveyone is crying about all these 'freedoms' going away - I haven't seen life change one bit other than peoples perceptions.

Dr.Gonzo said:
As for the kids they aren't yours to worry about.
Sometimes, someone else has to do the worrying.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
hyunelan2 said:
I haven't seen life change one bit other than peoples perceptions.
I can't pick up certain OTC medications any more without signing legal documents and showing ID.
And those OTC are locked up after hours and on the weekends.
Which then makes them impossible to obtain until the pharmecy reopens.
No longer are some OTCs, OTC (from a certain point of view).

That changes my life quite a bit.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
hyunelan2, I think he's talking about the time all the women stopped having babies and.... oh wait... that was a movie... Oh well, it's still a valid basis for an argument, right?

In case you didn't notice it up above, I am a small-government conservative. I don't want the government telling me what to do, and how to do it. I want the government to provide a reasonable level of protection, and a decent amount of infrastructure and then keep it's greedy mitts off what I make (as much as that's possible).

I certainly don't deny your (generic you...) freedom to smoke. It would be crazy for me (average citizen) to take away your right to smoke anywhere but on my property. If I were to walk up to you, forcibly remove your cigarette, and physically prevent you from lighting another, that would be a crime.

So... let's evaluate our priorities here... We feel that we are so entitled to a cigarette, that it doesn't matter in the slightest what effect it has on those around us.

Second hand smoke has a direct, verifiable, _immediate_ effect on those who are exposed to it (the symptoms aren't immediate, but the damage is).

So... to sum up... The right you are defending isn't the right to smoke, it's the right to expose your children to an atmosphere which _will_ (not "might") be hazardous to their health. Sound about right?

Like I said... arrogant self entitlement...

EDIT: GIS Guy, you have a "right" to buy OTC medications?