New Family Member, Pics to Come Soon.....

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Here's what a friend said about it all......

Ahhhh, glorious Pacific Northwest mud!!!! Looooove it! We have a saying at our house that the way you know it's been a good day is if we're dirty at the end of it. Clearly, by my standards, Betty had a great day! Thank you for sharing her progress! It's so fun to see a dog doing "it's thing."

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, I have an almost new kennel being delivered tonight. Betty's going to like it. And she'll have room to run while I'm at work. It's a 6'x12'x6'. Just need to make some kind of top for it so she can't get out, as she's been known to jump that high with no problems, lol. I'm also getting horse stall matting to put down under it so she can't dig out. A friend uses it and said it's much better on the dogs joints than putting the kennel on concrete. It's a kennel that uses the panels, and not the long stretch of chain-link fencing. Can't wait, should be here by 7:30. ;)

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Yup, that she is. The guy came and dropped off the kennel. Now I just need to go to Big R and get the horse stall mats to put down, then set the kennel up on them. That way she can't dig out. Then I just have to find a way to put a top over it so she can't jump out, lol. A 6ft fence is no problem for her. lol.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Betty's been doing pretty well lately. Her trainer has also given her a travel kennel as well. That way I can put her in it when we go places and she's safe. She would always have free roam of the car, which was not the best idea, and my other kennel was too big to fit in the back seat of the car. Now we have something. Got it free. So we've started crate training with the new crate. At first she didn't even want to go in, but I kept telling Betty, 'In the house'. As soon as she went in, I started being really happy and she'd come out to be petted and scratched on the belly. I would do it over and over. Then 2 days later, she started going in on her own, and as soon as I saw her go in, I would act very happy and she'd come out and run happily to me for petting and belly rubs. Within 4 days, she absolutely loves the new crate. Took no food, just being really, really happy and giving her pets and belly rubs. I see people trying hard to crate train their dogs, trying to force them in and feeding in them, and then end up not liking them at all. I highly recommend at least trying this method, getting the dog really excited when they go in. It really works. I also had a friend here locally do it because he had his dog where he absolutely hated the crate. Within a week, the dog was beginning to actually like it. So I know it works, and usually works fast from what I've experienced.

As for our walks, Betty's doing pretty well. She still lunges at other dogs if they get too close, but we've been working on it. The other day, we saw 2 sets of dogs walking the trail, and we were down by the river. I decided to get Betty in the middle. So we let the first ones walk by, then got up on the trail. She was more interested in the pups behind us than the one in front of us. We walked a couple miles this way until we were back at the parking area. While walking, Betty would stop, and I would let out the long line, and as soon as I neared the end of the line, I would say 'Betty, Come', and she would come running up to me and I would treat her and say, 'You see those nice puppies?', and we would walk a little farther and she'd stop again and I would repeat. Occasionally she would run ahead, looking at the dog ahead, then stop, and as soon as I got to her, would praise her and tell her she's being a good dog, giving treats. She did really well, and never lunged either direction. And it was really fun too. I wish I could have setups like this more often.

Then there was another day where we got in front of another dog, and Betty did the same. The only difference this time is they were walking faster than we were, and were slowly gaining. And I saw Betty's arrousal level increasing, but she kept coming. Then, before they got too close, I found a place where I could take her off the trail and let them pass by with no issues. Thought I'd rather end it on a positive note than lunging. She did really well. So things are slowly getting better. She just needs more work, and lots of praises.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, it's Monday again, guess what that means? You probably guessed correctly, she had school today. But instead of doing her normal Rally training, we changed it up a bit and worked on Obedience. We worked on her heeling, did some drills with heeling in a straight line, then heeling in a straight line with a hault in the middle. Then finally, we drilled her on watching me while heeling, where we would heel in a straight line and whenever she took her eyes off me, we would stop and I would put her at a sit. It went very well, but she's got to practice, practice, practice. But she'll get it, will take some time. So this is my homework for the week, having 2 to 3 short sessions a day for the whole week, doing a little of each of these 3 things that we worked on. We will do some more Rally on occasion, but her classes are going to be working more on her Basic Obedience, which should correct her sloppyness in Rally-O.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, Betty's class went well. We first had some fun with a little agility stuff. We started with direction with 2 jumps, Betty did really well with it. We had to have barriers up because she would run around the jumps. But we got to the point where she was doing the jumps on command, and the correct direction. I would point left or right, and she would go that direction and take the jump. Then we worked a little with the broad jump, just for some fun. She loved it. Then we went on to Obedience, working more on her heeling and turns. Her turns are getting really good, but her heeling and sits are still sloppy, but she's really come a long ways, and shouldn't be too much longer and her heel and sit will be great.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, a few weeks ago Betty had her instinct test done, and did pretty well. Now today, she finally had her first class. She did really good. The last few weeks she's been working on her Downs, and it really showed today. We did a little work with her Downs as we were approaching the class area where the sheep were. As we got closer, her anxiety really got to her, and she wanted in there bad. But we wouldn't advance til she would Down. When she obeyed the command, we got closer to the sheep, and would have her down again.

Then for in the ring, she did pretty well. She did break them up a couple times, but then got back under control. Since she's doing well off the bat, now it's time for me to be taught, lol. I need to learn where exactly to go when I release her behind the sheep. So, next time we go, I think that's what I'll ask Monique, to basically get me to where I'm on the same page as Betty and be in the correct position for her to do her job effectively. But overall, she did very well, and we ended the class on a very good run where she drove the sheep to us, and dropped like a rock when the Down command was issued. And we praised her highly to let her know she did a Very Good Job.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Today we had a couple instances where we were approached by off-leash dogs. The first was with a Red Heeler. We walked by a yard without a fence, and never knew they had a dog. Well, the owner was out with the dog, and I don't think the owner saw us or his dog coming towards us, as he was around the corner of the house. His dog, who was a male red heeler, approached Betty, and when he came within 15ft, he slowed down and started to arc a bit. From what I understand, this is a proper approach, and not a head-on approach. He came up to Betty, and Betty looked a little stressed but seemed ok with his approach. I also praised her a bit as well, telling her she's a good girl and he's a good boy. But a big mistake, it's one of the only times I was out and wasn't armed with good treats. He then came up to Betty's behind and sniffed. Betty then looked back, and as he sniffed again, she whipped around to strike, and I had to apply a correction. The male dog took a few steps back and sat, watching me and Betty. Then about 20 seconds later, he turned and went back to his owner. Now my question is, what would be the proper thing to do? When Betty was beside me and she turned her head, I had no view of her face, so I couldn't see any signs. Is the turn of the head a sign where you need to intervene to keep her from going over the line? Should I have given her a verbal correction when she turned her head towards the other dog, since I couldn't see if she started do any lip curls or any other facial signs? Overall, I thought this was a really good sign for her, as after her snap and bark, she didn't continue, but just sat there and watched him as he left. A normal occurance would be lunging and pulling to get at him.

The other instance was a neighbors dog behind a fence with an open gate. The dog had escaped the other neighbors back yard and running free in their yard with a gate open. Betty seemed to have no issues with him, he's an older Border Collie mix. And he came up to the fence and made a quick greet and went back to where the other dogs were, and Betty looked as if she really wanted to join all of them, was really excited, but not overly excited.

Then we came to another street corner where there looked to be a male black lab/great dane mix. Looked lab'ish but was much, much larger, and had ears more like a dane. He was in their fenced yard, and was kitty-corner from us, so the street was between us. He barked and Betty looked. I had Betty sit on the corner, and she looked at him. I praised her and petted her. The other dog then came to the corner of the fence, and Betty still sat fairly calm. Then the other dog decided, well, since you are sitting so pretty, so can I, lol. He looked like the cutest huge dog, sitting there nice and handsome, neither dogs barking or wanting at each other. I stayed about 2 minutes, praising Betty and rubbing her on the chest. Then we walked off, and she came with me with no issues, heeling perfectly.

Overall, we had a nice walk. Any comments on anything we did is appreciated. She still has issues with some of the dogs we pass, but is getting much better with the new dogs we come in contact with. She still doesn't like the one monster dog we occasionally pass, looks to be a shepherd/rotty mix. She's never liked him and lunges anytime she sees him. So we don't pass there very often, just now and then to see if any of her other training is taking enough effect to where maybe someday she can pass without lunging.

Edit:
I always take caution as well, and look at several things when another dog approaches, such as speed, direction, ears, tail, muzzle, eyes. And I felt good about doing it this time, which is like a once-in-a-million type of occasion. 99% of the times I take other measures, whether walking away, shooing the dog away, or anything else, but the other dog seemed to be giving me good vibes, and thought if anything, would be a positive experience for Betty, instead of one where I'm pulling her away on the collar like I'm showing her I'm afraid and wanting to run away from him. The pressure on her collar to pull her away is what starts the lunging, and she's very sensitive to that.

Also, we've been working really hard down at the park on her issues, and this has been the first time we did our walk closer to home, and her actions today really made me feel good. Not just with the red heeler, but with the other 2 dogs as well, who were off leash but behind fences, and one was across the intersection. Whenever we would come across a dog that barked across the street, she would start pulling and wanting across, and she did none of that today. It's times like these that make me feel really good about all the work we have been doing.

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, I was thinking of getting an Aussie Shep, but yesterday I got a phone call from the gal that was wanting to rehome her Border Collie a couple months ago, and she asked if I was still interested. I said Definitely, lol. So I'm getting a purebreed, registered Border Collie. I'm excited, will be picking her up on Sunday. And will definitely have pics. ;)