New Family Member, Pics to Come Soon.....

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, today went pretty well. We went to where the min pin was yesterday, and didn't see the dog at all. But I got to let Betty run. We actually went 2 times, once in the morning, and once after her school. So right now she's sleeping, lol. As for her school, she did very well. We worked more on her heeling, and also jumping over the hurdles. Because it's a hard floor due to the back yard being knee-deep in snow, we are just having her jump the lowest setting, which I think is only 12 inches. Then once she get's good at jumping, and not going around, we will add a 2nd jump and begin training her to jump the one that I point at. So if I want her to jump over the left one, I'll point at the left one and she should jump over the left one.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
We had class again today. We worked on her Come for a while, then started more Rally stuff. Betty's Come has been pretty bad, so we've started using a shock collar, to see if we can get her to pay closer attention to us. For the first day, it went very well. The collar has settings from 1-10, and we had it only on 2.5, and she reacted well to it. Also, the trainers grand-daughter was there, and was a pretty good distraction for the class. Then the trainer asked if Betty acted the same with all other kids that she's come across, and I said yes. They got along great. And Betty had a lot of fun. The trainer has also let me borrow the collar, so I can work with Betty through the week. I may not need to use it much, as the class has made a pretty good impact, and she's listening a lot more.

As for the walks, Betty's been doing pretty well. When going by the poodles, she just goes around to my right side, and almost pays no attention to them at all now. But all 4 poodles haven't been coming out. Usually it's only 1 or 2. Will see when it warms up and we see all 4 coming out to the fence. Also, we've been going down to the ball park where it's fenced in, and we haven't seen that min pin at all. I was hoping that we would see him again. Other than that, all is going well.

I got some new pics of Betty today. Check them out......

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, I took Betty down to the park 2 times so far today, and she had a blast. The 2nd time we took a ball so if there were no other dogs, we would play fetch. We got there, and nobody was there, so I took out the ball. We played for quite a while, til she was about ready to drop dead, lol. Then we went back to the car, and there were several ducks nessled in the snow near the parking lot. So I decided to get closer to see what Betty would do. She saw them, and went to try and herd them up and they just flew away, lol.

Then, on the way home it was nice. Usually she would bark at anyone walking on the sidewalk, or trucks passing us. Well, she was so tired, she would see the people and trucks, with her toungue hanging out panting, would say, ok, you go that way, and you go that way, lol. Would just look at them and say, I'll be back, lol. It's nice having a tired out dog, lol. So quiet, lol. I might take her again tonight, so maybe she'll have a good nights sleep, lol. Then will do the same tomorrow before her school, lol.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, I took Betty to the park today and worked on some of her commands. She's doing pretty well. We decided to work on her Stay, Wait, and Come commands. I wanted to see how far I could get from her, without her coming to me. It was about 25-30 yards. So we started there. We did this for an hour, and I got farther and farther, praising her lots and good treats. When I was further away, I started using the hand signal for Come instead of having to yell it. I got to about 75 long paces from her, and she was doing it almost every time. A couple times I did have to repeat the hand signal and yell Come, but for the most part, that's the line where we can start working on hand signal only. This is just over 50 yards away. When I mean long paces, I don't mean regular walking paces, but long strides. So I'm guessing anywhere between 50-60 yards, possibly a little farther. So that's a great sign.

After we were done, we started our slow walk back towards the car, as she was beat. Then we could see the people walking down by the river on the trail with their dogs, and Betty saw them, and started running towards them. Then I said, Betty, Come, she instantly turned around and came back to me. Another good sign. I think the Come training I've been working on for the last 2 weeks or so is starting to pay off. Before, when she started running like that, I would have to scream at her to come, and she would stop but not come back until I started walking towards her, then she would walk back like she did something wrong. And other times, she would go about 50 yards before turning back, with me calling and screaming, lol. So that's going pretty well.

Then, when we were getting closer to the car, I decided we would stay a little longer and just play around. Guess who showed up? The min pin that we haven't seen for a couple weeks came out in their yard, and Betty heard him, and raced to him. They sniffed, then began to play. Then the min pin would bark, and then race up the fenceline, and Betty would race along with him, then they would sniff again. Then he would play bow, and take off, and Betty would race along with him. They had a blast. I let this go for another 30 minutes or so, then when I needed to get back to the car, I called Betty, Betty, Come. And she instantly came, and we went to the car. I didn't have to leash her to get her away like I did the last time. So, I think it's beginning to pay off. She would have never done this before.

Well, tomorrow is school again. Will see what we are going to work on. She loves going there for class. Will let you know how things go, and what we work on.....

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Update, now that most of the snow is gone, we are seeing the min pin out more and more. We saw him the other day, and tonight, when I got home from work, I took Betty to the park again, and there he was. I think Betty tuckered him out today, as they ran up and down the 40 or so yards of fenceline. They had a blast. And Betty even perked up like she does whenever she sees him, lol. Then we walked across the park and back, and the min pin had already gone in the house. She really enjoys seeing him, and he really seems to get all happy when she shows up. It's totally a blast to watch.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
I took Betty to her school Monday, and we worked on her Rally stuff. The trainer also got a new dog, and had him out in the outside kennel where we trained. Betty was a bit excited at first, but when we started working on the rally, she began ignoring the other dog. Her other dog is a Golden Retriever that was given to her, and holds several championship titles. The people couldn't keep the dog anymore, and my trainer was the lucky one to get called and was asked if she wanted him. She could not turn the offer down. So now she has 3 dogs.

After we got done with the rally stuff, Betty was pooped, so we thought we would let her drag the leash and see how she reacts. She went right up to the kennel, and they sniffed, and she kept going around to different parts of the kennel, and they sniffed more. The trainer said by looking at her tail, she was a little stressed, but wasn't too bad. So for classes on Monday, we will give them a little interaction time. And Betty did not growl or bark at all, but was a little stiff. I think with time, she'll get over it. Then, when I was getting ready to go, I said, Betty, Come, and she came right to me. Then we went home. So todays day ended on a good note.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Another update.....

The last 2 weekends, I've been taking Betty to the park during the day and playing the Look At That game, where we would sit a distance off the trail, and whenever a dog passed by us and Betty looked at it, then back at me, she would get praises and treats (Hot Dogs). It's been a really fun game, and she's beginning to be a little more calm. But when it comes to small dogs, even at a great distance, she still wants at them, no matter what. I've been keeping her leash short, and would praise her for sitting next to me, and if she looks at a dog and then looks at me like she's saying, Did you see me look at that dog?, she would get praised and treats. This is going to become a daily routine, now that the time has changed, and it is now still going to be daylight after I get off work. We'll be doing this for the whole summer, as well as our walks and playing ball in the park when they aren't playing soccer or softball.

Well, the friend that has the chiwawa we used to work with until they moved to Seattle, well, he came over today for a visit. We took the dogs to the park for a walk. Betty was lunging for about 5-10 minutes, then started calming down a bit. Within 20 minutes, they were walking within 3 feet of each other with minimal problems. Occasionally I would see Betty freeze, which is my trigger to increase the distance, as the freeze usually means lunging is next, lol. But overall, we had a really good day. Then after they left, we went back to the other part of the park again and played some more Look At That. Had a good day...

Well, Betty will be going for some new training on the 17th with people that deal with dogs that have issues. I've kept them updated on Betty's progress here, and it sounds like it will only be a 1 day session. I think what they are planning is to let Betty go in with their other dogs that they use for training, and when she becomes comfortable with them, we will be working on leash work with her around other dogs and with other dogs. We will also be doing some long-line work as well. And from what I gather, it could take an hour, or up to 6-7 hours. But in the end, they said I'll be walking with Betty and 4-5 other dogs leashes in my hands. So, hopefully it turns out to benefit Betty and me, mainly me. She told me that I'll leave with all the tools I need to be successful. And as for adding another dog, they told me that it not only would benefit Betty, but if I needed them to help in the introduction process, if the other people do decide to rehome the BC that I'm interested in, that they could come and help me. But they said I would have all the tools to do it on my own, but their doors are wide open if I needed the help. So, these are just things I'm looking forward to down the road.

Well, here's a pic of Betty after today, lol. Now this is a pooped out dog, lol...

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, we won't be getting the Border Collie. She's made the decision to keep her. It was tough on her 7 year old son that they were thinking of rehoming her, as she was the favorite dog. Also, her trainer also told her that the problems with her stocking the goats and killing chickens is just due to her being young and having no training at all, and that it can be trained out of her easily. So she's looking at beginning the training process, and doing herding trials, as there's a place near them that she's already taken her to for an instinct test, and she passed with flying colors. It was a really big decision for her, and I told her to take all the time she needs to think about it and to not feel rushed. So she decided to keep her.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
We just got back from Seattle tonight, it was actually south of Seattle and about 3.5 hours from my house. Took Betty to a session with a trainer over there who deals with dogs that have issues. Well, it went very well.

We started with taking Betty for a long walk. It was about a half mile down to the end of the road, and we ran part of it. Then we did the same coming back. When we got back, Betty was barely even winded, lol. So, because I didn't have a bike to bring, the trainer took out her secret weapon for tiring a dog out. It was a horse whip, lol. But not no regular horse whip, lol. This one had a plastic garbage bag tied to the end of it, lol. Betty went bonkers over it, lol. It was loud, fast, and Betty wanted it BAD, lol. It took about an hour and 45 minutes to tire her out, lol. And her tank still wasn't empty, but it was low enough to begin training, lol. Now I need to get a similar device for home, lol.

We first took one of the trainers female boxers out. Betty wanted at her. I had the boxer while the trainer had Betty. We were using a short leash with a martingale collar. And whenever Betty would lunge, she would lift up on Betty's head til she calmed down, and we walked more. We got to where they were walking side by side with no issues in about 15-20 minutes. Then it was lunch time, so we came back after lunch again.

After lunch, we worked again with the same boxer, this time I was handling Betty. It went pretty well, didn't have to correct her much. Then we went to the next step, to let the boxer sniff Betty. I had to correct her a couple times, but she calmed right back down, and was ok with the boxer sniffing her back side. Then we went to letting Betty sniff the boxers back side. All went perfect, Betty sniffed, then just layed down with her head turned to the side and tongue hanging out. Once we got to where we were comfortable with them sniffing the back ends, then we went to the mid-body and heads/noses. All went pretty well. Betty snipped once, but after a quick no by the trainer, she was fine. We let them do this sniffing for a while, and pretty soon Betty was good with the boxer.

Then we went to the next level, bringing out her other female boxer, lol. Now this was a challenge. Now to let you know, she uses both boxers whenever she works with dogs with issues, as these boxers could care less. They show no stress, and are completely relaxed. So it all started over again, lol. We went through all the same steps as above, but this time it went faster. We did the sniffing with both boxers as well, and got to the point where Betty was once again comfortable.

The next step was to put Betty on a 6ft leash instead of a 4ft, and since Betty's got a really good sit/down stay, the trainer had me put Betty into a sit, then extend the leash out the 6ft, and the trainer then walked the boxers over the leash. Betty was just fine with it, then when I said Come, she came to me for her reward, hot dogs. We did this several times.

The next step we did was heavy treats. We started feeding all 3 dogs sitting close by each other. Betty did fine. Then, when I was feeding Betty a handful of hot dog bits, one of the boxers decided to join. I almost froze, thinking Betty was going to do something. Well, she didn't, lol. I had Betty and both boxers eating out of my hand, lol. There were a couple times where we saw Betty do a lip curl, and we immediately corrected that with a stern NO. But after a couple minutes, they were all just fine, and Betty seemed much happier and would walk around the boxers and eat out of my hand with the boxers.

After we accomplished all this, then we went to the last stage, the long line. The trainer tied up the 2 boxers to a post and we had Betty on a long line. When we let the line out, we were expecting Betty to charge at the boxers. But Betty did the opposite, just wandered around, then walked up by the boxers and the trainer had me recall Betty. As soon as I said Betty, Come, she immediately turned and ran to me and sat in front of me. I never though that would have happened on the first try, lol. We thought we were going to have to give a little tug on the line to get her attention. But she was completely comfortable. Then we brought out the distraction. The 3rd dog. They had him out in the back yard behind the wire fence. It was a male German Shepherd that loved to bark loudly. Again, we thought we were going to have to correct Betty for running at him, but she slowly walked up near him, and as soon as I said Betty, Come, she came right to me. Even with the GSD making lots of noise, lol.

Overall we had a great time. Betty just needs to get over being so hyperactive and stressed. And I definitely know that this didn't fix her, but it's another piece of the puzzle, another step up the ladder. The trainer has also given me some good tools to work with as well. The only bad thing is that there's not tons of dogs here like there is over there. So being able to work with her is going to be a challenge. But it's not impossible. Let me know what you think. I think it's been a very productive day for the both of us. Still have a ways to go, but we are headed in the right direction. We have the tools she's taught me, as well as all the books I've been reading and DVD's I've been watching.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, Betty is doing pretty well. We've been working on her Look At That game more. We are in an area where she used to lunge at dogs all the time, but now no longer lunges from this point. We sit along a path at the park about 50ft from the trail. And I keep Betty on a 30ft long-line. I let her just walk around and when other dogs would come up, I would call her, Betty, Come, and she would come to me for her treat, then would sit and watch the dog go by on the trail. At the same time, I would reward her everytime she looked back at me. So all is going well.

Another new development has also come about, more training possibly. A friend has put me in contact with someone who does herding training with both sheep and cattle. We will be taking Betty for an instinct test here in the near future to see if she's got what it takes to begin herding training, or if she'll turn out to be a problem dog. If she passes with flying colors, then we may look at taking her a couple weekends a month and begin training with sheep, then possible cattle later on. Also at the instinct test, the gal that does it also works with more reactive dogs as well. We won't actually have Betty off leash with the sheep, but she will have her in a position to see how strong her commands are, as well as her recall when in with the sheep. Sounds like everything is initially done on a long line to keep her from doing something she's not supposed to, as in an attack. She said it will take about 30-45 minutes to tell where she stands overall. So, I'm looking forward to it. New experience for me as well.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, guess what? We are going to get Betty's herding instinct test done with sheep on Sunday, 3/30/08. This is going to be done at DeltaBluez Stockdogs. We are looking forward to this. Here's what they had to say:

If you would like to have Betty tested for instinct on sheep, and start her in herding if she has adequate instinct, I can help you. Instinct testing is basically a controlled introduction to sheep by myself or Diane, with us giving the dog clues as to how to gather the sheep and assessing the dog's willingness to both work with the stock and with the handler. Some dogs are natural herders from day 1, others take a few lessons to warm up. Either way, instinct is usually fairly easy to see even in dogs who are reluctant at first.

New dogs are started in a 60' round pen with well dog broke sheep. Once some basics have been learned, we vary the type of sheep the dogs are asked to work, and when the dogs are ready gradually progress into larger field sizes until they can work in the 20-acre open field. How long this process takes depends on the talent of the dog, the talent and learning ability of the handler, the relationship between dog and handler, and how much time is devoted to training. Herding is definitely a sport that requires a lot of "miles" for both dog and handler! Even the most advanced trial dogs require regular practice to remain in top form.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
We just got back from Seattle again, and had a blast. This time was for her herding instinct test. When I first got there, we had to wait as they had customers that purchased some sheep, and had to load them up. It was fun to watch. Then when it came time to let Betty out, she got loose from me, and I thought, oh, no, there were several other dogs out. She first met this big older white dog, I think some kind of sheep dog maybe, not sure. Betty introduced herself, and they sniffed, and all was ok. Then she went after all the border collies, lol. She sniffed the first, said your ok, went to the next, your ok, went to the next, your ok, lol. Then they started racing around with each other. Then Betty took off after some ducks. I though, oh, no, she's going to get one or 2. But instead, she flanked around them and got them closer to each other. It was then that I was finally able to catch her and put the leash on her.

Once Monique had the sheep in the proper area for the instinct test, she had me come in with Betty, walking in over ankle deep mud in areas, lol. Was great, lol. We got to where the training sheep were and Monique took the leash. At first Betty wanted to go head on with them. Monique did a very good job describing to me exactly what Betty was doing, as she doesn't know yet exactly what to do. But after working with her for 10 minutes on leash, she was able to get Betty to the point where she could let the leash go. A couple times Betty had a good chase going on, but overall, she did very well. And with what I learned in the first day, her instinct level is very good, and she's out of shape, lol. So I'm now going to do some research on a good diet to put her on, as she's been only doing free-feeding. So I need to do some homework there and put her on a healthy diet. And as for the exercise, I think now that it's spring and going into summer, we are going to get plenty of exercise, and I'm also going to take her down for a lot more swimming once it starts warming up as well. The water is still a bit chilly with all the snow runoff. Will wait a couple more weeks and see how it is then. I do see other dogs in the water, but they aren't actually letting them swim after balls yet. Just wading and drinking.

Overall, I had a very good time. I wish I would have got more pics, but I only got 2, which I'll post once I get them downloaded from the camera. It was pics from after the session, with Monique holding the leash with Betty near the sheep. Here in a couple weeks I'm probably going to actually start up her training as well, since it's a long drive I'll probably start with every other weekend and see how it goes, then maybe go into every weekend. Just depends on my bills, etc. I think she'll have a blast doing it, she did very well, and I was very pleased.