New Family Member, Pics to Come Soon.....

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Class #6:

Well, Betty's officially started her Rally-O training. It's going to be a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well. We got 3 things to work on this week, but with Thanksgiving, it won't be a lot of training, lol. But that's ok, that's what Holidays do, right? lol.

Here's the first items we are working on....
Heel Back - This is where the dog is sitting in front of you, and when you give the command, you step back with your left leg, bringing your dog around your left side, then stepping back forward with your left leg, with your dog at your side, then Sit.

Get Around - This is where the dog is in front of you again, but this time you step back with your right foot, bringing the dog around your right leg, passing the leash from your right hand to the left behind your back, then stepping back forward with the right leg, bringing the dog up to your left side, and Sit.

Right Turn - This is where your dog is sitting at your left side, and you turn your body 90 degrees to the right, and your dog get's up, get's back to your left side, then Sit.

Heel and Sit - This is where your dog walks at your left side, and when you stop, the dog stops and Sit's. When you step forward, the dog walks with you and as soon as you stop again, the dog Sit's at your side again.

Lot's of fun, lol. Her hardest thing is Heel and Sit, lol. She keeps wanting to walk forward when I stop. Will need to break her of this, LOL.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, Betty has school today, will see how she does. Was going to train near the 4 white poodles that she really fears, but with the snow, the trainer doesn't want to come. So we will be training in her garage again.

As for yesterday, we went out on a walk with another friend that just got a new dog. So we worked with them today, and got really good results. Still can't let them go together yet, but she's getting used to the other dog. They were within 2 feet of each other and Betty was just laying down with her tongue out, just acting calm as I was petting her. She's never done that before with another dog so close.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Well, todays class went very well. We went over the first 21 items of the 31 total items in Rally-O. She's still a little sloppy on her heel and sit, but getting better. Once we get the commands down, we will start fine-tuning. And as for her Wait and Stay commands, she does perfect. As well as Come. She also Sit's and Down's at a distance. But if there's any distractions, forget it, lol.

As for the walk today afterwards with my friends dog, ouch, lol. She was 10 times worse than she's been, and really wanted at his dog. I wish Cesar was here, lol, would put her dog in with all his pits, lol. I'm not sure a dog here and a dog there is going to help much, she needs real socialization with lots of dogs. Any input on this?

I used the Gentle Leader today, as the friend wanted something that would close her mouth if she lunged, as his dog is really small. Normally I use a prong collar when I have her in training.

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Here's what we get to work on now....

*May be used multiple times on a course.

1. START – Indicates the beginning of the course.
2.FINISH – Indicates the end of the course - timing stops.
3. HALT – Sit. While heeling, the handler halts and the dog comes to a sit in heel position. The team then moves forward toward the next exercise sign (station), with the dog in heel position. (Stationary exercise)
4. HALT – Sit – Down. While heeling, the handler halts and the dog comes to a sit. The handler then commands the dog to down, followed by the command to heel forward from the down position. (Stationary exercise)
5. * Right Turn. Performed as a 90º turn to the right, as in traditional obedience.
6. * Left Turn. Performed as a 90º turn to the left, as in traditional obedience.
7. *About Turn – Right. While heeling, the team makes a 180º about turn to the handler’s right.
8. * About “U” Turn. While heeling, the team makes a 180º about turn to the handler’s left.
9. * 270° Right Turn. While heeling, the team makes a 270º turn to the handler’s right. 270° turns are performed as a tight circle, but not around the exercise sign.
10. * 270° Left Turn. While heeling, the team makes a 270º turn to the handler’s left. 270º turns are performed as a tight circle, but not around the exercise sign.
11. 360° Right Turn. While heeling, the team makes a 360º turn to the handler’s right. 360º turns are performed as a tight circle, but not around the exercise sign.
12. 360° Left Turn. While heeling, the team makes a 360º turn to the handler’s left. 360º turns are performed as a tight circle, but not around the exercise sign.
13. Call Front – Finish Right - Forward. While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as the dog turns and moves to sit in the front position. The second part of the exercise directs the handler to move forward while commanding the dog to change from the front position to the handler’s right, around behind the handler and to heel position, as the handler continues forward. The dog does not sit before moving forward in heel position with the handler. (Stationary exercise)
14. Call Front – Finish Left - Forward. While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as the dog turns and moves to sit in the front position. The second part of the exercise directs the handler to move forward while commanding the dog to change from the front position to the handler’s left and moving to heel position, as the handler continues forward. The dog does not sit before moving forward in heel position with the handler. (Stationary exercise)
15. Call Front – Finish Right - HALT. While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as the dog turns and moves to sit in the front position. The second part is the finish to the right, where the dog must return to heel position by moving around the right side of the handler. Dog must sit in heel position before moving forward with the handler. (Stationary exercise)
16. Call Front – Finish Left - HALT. While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as the dog turns and moves to a sit in the front position. The second part is the finish to the left, where the dog must move to the handler’s left and sit in heel position. Dog must sit in heel position before moving forward in heel position with the handler. (Stationary exercise)
17. * Slow Pace. Dog and handler must slow down noticeably. This must be followed by a normal pace, unless it is the last station in the class.
18. * Fast Pace. Dog and handler must speed up noticeably. This must be followed by a normal pace, unless it is the last station in the class.
19. * Normal Pace. Dog and handler must move forward, walking briskly and naturally.
20. Moving Side Step Right. While heeling, the handler takes one step diagonally to the right and continues moving forward along the newly established line. The dog maintains heel position. The exercise may be performed just past the exercise sign.
21. Spiral Right – Dog Outside. This exercise requires three pylons or posts placed in a straight line with spaces between them of approximately 6 - 8 feet. Spiral Right indicates the handler must turn to the right when moving around each pylon or post. The first pass is going around all 3 pylons, then the 2nd pass you go around only 2 pylons, and the final pass you just go around 1 pylon.
22. Spiral Left – Dog Inside. This exercise requires three pylons or posts placed in a straight line with spaces between them of approximately 6 - 8 feet. Spiral Left indicates that the handler must turn to the left when moving around each pylon or post. This places the dog on the inside of the turns. The exercise sign is placed near or on the first pylon or post where the spiral is started. The first pass is going around all 3 pylons, then the 2nd pass you go around only 2 pylons, and the final pass you just go around 1 pylon.
23. Straight Figure 8 Weave Twice. This exercise requires four obstacles (pylons, posts or people) placed in a straight line with spaces between them of approximately 6 - 8 feet. The exercise sign is placed near or on the first obstacle where the exercise is started. Entry into the weaving pattern is with the first obstacle at the dog/handler’s left side.
24. Serpentine Weave Once. This exercise requires four obstacles (pylons, posts or people) placed in a straight line with spaces between them of approximately 6 - 8 feet. The exercise sign is placed near or on the first obstacle where the exercise is started. Entry into the weaving pattern is with the first obstacle at the dog/handler’s left side. It should be noted that in this exercise, the team does not weave back through the obstacles as they do in the Straight Figure 8.
25. HALT – 1, 2, 3 Steps Forward. The team halts with the dog sitting in heel position to begin the exercise. The handler takes one step forward, with the dog maintaining heel position, and halts. The dog sits when the handler halts. This is followed by two steps forward - halt, and three steps forward - halt, with the dog heeling each time the handler moves forward, and sitting each time the handler halts. (Stationary exercise)
26. Call Front – 1, 2, 3 Steps Backward. While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as the dog turns and moves to a sit in the front position. With the dog in the front position, the handler takes one step backward and halts. The dog moves with the handler and sits in the front position as the handler halts. This is followed by the handler taking two steps backward and a halt, and three steps backward and a halt. Each time, the dog moves with the handler to the front position and sits as the handler halts. The handler then commands the dog to resume heel position as the team moves forward toward the next station. (Stationary exercise)
27. Moving Down. While moving with the dog in heel position, the handler commands the dog to drop to a down position, as the handler pauses next to the dog. Once the dog is completely in the down position, the handler moves forward commanding the dog to heel from the down position. (Stationary exercise)
28. HALT – Fast Forward From Sit. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler commands the dog to heel and immediately moves forward at a fast pace. This must be followed by a normal pace, unless it is the last station in the class. (Stationary exercise)
29. Left About Turn. While moving with the dog in heel position, the handler makes an about turn to the left, while at the same time, the dog must move around the handler to the right and to heel position. The dog does not sit before moving forward in heel position with the handler.
30. HALT – Walk Around Dog. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler commands the dog to stay, then proceeds to walk around the dog to the left, returning to heel position. The handler must pause in heel position before moving forward to the next station. (Stationary exercise)
31. HALT – Down – Walk Around Dog. With dog sitting in heel position, the handler commands the dog to down and stay, then proceeds to walk around the dog to the left, returning to heel position. The handler must pause in heel position before moving forward to the next station.The dog heels forward from the down position. (Stationary exercise)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Neat!! Ive been wanting to get a vest for Chance becuase I cant take him anywhere and let him get control of himself because everyone is always making a fuss over how cute he is and wanting to pet him and what not, which obviously makes him excited and difficult to control. I figure getting him a vest that says 'Do Not Pet Me' or something might work. LOL. I just can bring myself to be mean to the people and tell them they cant pet him....I mean who would when someone is complimenting your dog???

Do you plan on packing with her?? Only reason I ask is cause the pack looks a little big for her. You want the bags to be more on her shoulders verse in the center of her back. If you pack it where you have it its more of a strain on her back.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
They also have Please Ask To Pet Me patches. This allows others to ask for permission first.

No, I'm not planning to pack with her. It's more for carrying 2 water bottles during the summer, lol. It is a little big for her, as it's the smallest one they have, a Medium. And when I measured Betty, her girth was the same as the smallest size for the Medium. Well, the Medium seems too big for her. But it's ok because she still has just a little more growing left in her, or if I get a Border Collie, would be the perfect size for it. And the saddlebags aren't very bit either, just big enough to put in a water bottle on each side and maybe a couple baggies of training treats.

Now for next Monday, I may be going to a friends house, and since she doesn't have a dog, we are going to try the backpack she has on Betty. She said it's almost new, and if it fits, she'll give it to her. Will be cool if it does, then she can pack some stuff, lol.

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
:D Sounds like fun!

Yeah I just want Chance to learn that hes not alway the center of attention and that he can walk ito a crowd of people and control himself. And that everyone doesnt want to pet him all the time. Hes gotten really bad with it cause he almost forces people to pet him. He throws himself at people and like rubs on them like hes a cat. Its funny but kinda embarrassing at the same time. So I think that I am going with the Please Dont Pet Patch that I found. This way I can make him get control of himself.