Lyretail sword

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Got 4 of these beauties last week. This one had fry on the way. They're already starting to show red! My male is a sailfin, but not a lyre because they can't breed. I can't WAIT to see what the male lyretails' fins look like with this as a momma!

Attachments

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks! She's a looker! I have never seen them in any LFS here. The fish are always sick anyway. I am tired of losing fish from the LFS and have pretty much converted to buying off of AB, or breeders I have found on there. Its more expensive, but the fish live, so it all evens out.
It isn't that the hifin lyre is infertile, the fins are so long on the males that the gonopodium is not really functional. Too long to aim correctly. Sad, but true:) Ribbon tail guppies have the same issue. And it doesn't keep them from trying, so they're just as happy! Anyway, you have to keep 'normal' finned males for breeders. So, the fry will always be a mix. I will actually keep the lyre male and females in one tank and my breeder males in another. Gotta do something to keep those livebearers numbers manageable:)

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i've only seen them on the internet but i tryed to find a pic and now i cant i was reading an article on how to breed them. it said that the black pigmint of the swordtail is cancerous and that full black hi-fin lyre swordtails are unhealthy and could develop a tumor and die. good quality hi-fin lyre tail swordtails will have the fins clear or colored but not black. thats just what i read dont know if its true but im going to try to find the article you might find it interesting

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i found a pic of the black swordtail i was telling you about.... Swordtail Basics - Page 2 - The Pets Forums[/url]
i dont know how to do links sorry. you have to register to be able to see the pic

this isnt much help in finding the pic is it..... well the site is the petforums.com scroll down to fishnet section then "freshwater" then "livebearers" then "sticky swordtail basics" if anybody is able to find it maybe they could make a link

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I tried goin to the site but there is no fish or fishnet section on that page...
speaking of the fancy swordtails, my future goal is to finally be able to get a pair of Blood Red Super Sailfins. those IMO are the ultimate swords.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Haha, just use the insert hyperlink button with the globe icon when you make a reply or post.

that black liretail was cool looking. cant beat the super sailfin tho hehe.

The swords of the topic starter look really good. their pectoral fins are REALLY long...

Last edited:

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
OK, I finally got everything in order to see those pics. You're right, the blacks are cool. Wonder what a cross with my red would look like?
Anyway, Newman, I agree that the supersails are awesome! Here's a pic of my male. He's still young, so his fins aren't done yet. I'm hoping to get a nice sail with lyretails on some of these fry. I still can't believe how long the fins are on the females and am anxiously awaiting some male lyretails. While I'm at it, I snapped a pic of the babies. How cute are they? Already showing red at less than two weeks old!

Attachments

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
is the supersail fin and hi fin swordtail the same??

i remember reading some where about hi fin lyre sword that have black bodies with their fins red i forget what they call them i have never seen a pic of them

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
No, they are similar and could be related, but the Super sail fin Blood red is actually an albino (note the red eyes of the true blood red) with red pigment scales gone crazy. I guess you can probably breed lyretails, albinos and other select breeds to eventually get something that resebles a supersail fin, but only in Japan have they succeeded in creating such a wicked strain. Today imported supersails have been bred in america and can be found on Aquabid.com

My final goal is to buy a pair of those lol.

And Becky those look sweet.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I wondered about that whole sailfin/hi fin/super sail too. Newman, do you know who is selling the supersails on AB? Wondering if I've seen them. There is a regular seller on there that shows the parents of the fry you are buying. Both the male and female have dorsal fins that are so big they droop over their sides. They are gorgeous. Are these the ones you are talking about?
The whole albino thing is so interesting! Two of my females have red eyes. One female and my male have black. They are all the same velvet red. The fry from a red eye female are an even mix. I still have one without color. Looks like it will be a true albino. And the albino gene in my mollies is even wierder. Red eyes, gold eyes, color, no color... its like the albino gene in fish is a different thing altogether than in other species as I understand it. Fascinating!

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
OK, so how do I get dorsal fins like that on my lyre tails? I wonder if the lyre gene is not compatible with the supersail gene or something. Or maybe I'm just ahead of the times and the breeders just haven't gotten stable lines yet.

As far as expense of these fish goes, its the darn shipping that kills you. Those supersails are 45 for 6 including shipping. That's not bad at all. My lyres cost 95$ for 4 with shipping. Yikes!

Oh well, I have come to the conclusion that spending 5x as much as a pet store is actually cost effective because the fish are WAY better looking and they live:)

Where do you live? I sure wish someone with the same fish interests lived near me. I would love to be able to fry swap when I spend so much for the parents.