Krib Tank (Planted 10 gal.)

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL my camera isnt THAT bad is it :eek: :(
The Kribs are slowely realizing "Hey, we got this hole 33gal to ourselfs, lets circle around eachother flaring!! woot!!!! "
hehe

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie217 said:
LOL my camera isnt THAT bad is it :eek: :(
Yes...err...I mean no...
(you know I'm kidding, right?) *thumbsups

Katie217 said:
The Kribs are slowely realizing "Hey, we got this hole 33gal to ourselfs, lets circle around eachother flaring!! woot!!!! "
Ah...so that's where you've got them!
Will they stay there for the long-haul? If not, what are your plans for them? For the 33 gal. tank?

Look for 'wiggling' on the part of the female. Once this happens, she's ready to do the deed, and all you've gotta hope for is that the male will step up to the plate. :p

Big Vine

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL
Yeah they are in the 33 temporarily till I get my Severum. Eventually they will go into my 10gal. Or the 20...IDK yet.
Shes not shakin round him yet, I think they are just getting to know eachother ;)
Going to take some _crappy_ pictures tonight , with my _crappy_ camera LOL

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie217 said:
Eventually they will go into my 10gal. Or the 20...IDK yet.
Depends on what your future plans for fry-rearing are, I suppose, eh?

Katie217 said:
Shes not shakin round him yet, I think they are just getting to know eachother
It's good that you've got them in a larger tank to start out with so that they'll each have their own space while they size each other up. That way you won't be nearly as likely to have as much trouble (if any) on your hands when it comes time to move them into a smaller setup together.

If I recall correctly, my female basically started swimming near the male and doing the wiggling thing within the first 3 days. He would then follow her around a bit, and they'd hang out and scavenge together, like a couple.

As you know, the darkening reddish/purplish belly on the female is typically a sure sign that she's ready to spawn. Another sign is when she starts hanging out in a cave, just barely poking her head out for the male to see her.

This is an open invitation for him to get in there with her and...well...you know...

Can't wait to see the pics---they'll turn out great, I'm sure!
Big Vine

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Haha
Her belly is SUPER pink, thats why I chose her. She was the best looking fish in the tank. Then I got the best lookin male (of course) Im going to go take pics right now actually!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
More Fry!

Just a hair over 2 weeks since having removed the first batch of fry from the parent tank, and I now have a 2nd batch of what appears to be in the neighborhood of 20ish fry. It's a relatively low number, but then again, the parents are still relatively young, which may help to account for this. :confused:

Coincidentally, I had just moved 3 zebra danios from another tank and added them in with the krib parents. I'm not sure whether or not the danios have managed to pick off any of the fry, but it's pretty evident that the krib parents won't be letting this happen anytime soon---they're having a blast chasing the danios away!

No pics of the fry, so I've included a couple updated shots of the tank instead.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Best Krib Parents & Their Fry

He's peaceful now, but don't mess with him or his fry---he'll tear you a new one!

She's no pushover either. Here she is peeking around the corner to get a closer look and round up the troops.

Together they are the best krib parents...forever watchful over their fry.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Kribs Need New Home

I need to part with the krib pair ASAP.
If there's anyone interested who lives in the Omaha, Nebraska area and/or is willing to drop by the area to pick them up, then feel free to send me a PM.

I'd much rather give them to a fellow MFTer rather than give them to the LFS or feed them to my crays.

Keep your eyes posted for a link in the buy/sell/trade section of the forum.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
SOLD!

Turns out I won't be needing to find homes for them any longer.

Toam...I do really like them, but I really want to focus my efforts on my 38 gallon community tank. It's going to be heavily-planted with CO2 (I'll be picking up lots of plants today and hooking up CO2).

I need the krib tank as a quarantine tank for whatever will be going into the 38 gallon. Even if I didn't need it for that reason, the sheer number of krib fry alone (that they have been producing and will continue to produce in even greater numbers!) is just too much for me to properly handle.

I've had a good (albeit short) run with them. They colored-up nicely, mated and produced offspring twice in my tanks, and now I just feel like the enjoyment has been had...time to move on to bigger and better things...
(including breeding the angels I've got in my 38 gal.---hope to get some pairing off here in the next little while) ;)

BV

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Aww so sad to hear they'll be gone, but it sounds like it's all for the better on your end (and the lucky punk who snatched them up before I got to convince you to ship! LOL). Are you going to continue to raise the fry you have now?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
awww thats sad...too bad you dont have a giant community tank you could throw them in with :) im sure that the fry would be picked off more and more in a community tank

and in your experiance are they very aggressive...im thinking about getting acouple for my 55g but thier up against the bolivian rams.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Awww, BV, giving up on them so soon??? ;)*laughingc

VirgoWolf said:
Aww so sad to hear they'll be gone, but it sounds like it's all for the better on your end (and the lucky punk who snatched them up before I got to convince you to ship! LOL). Are you going to continue to raise the fry you have now?
Krystal, I have a pair that breed repeatedly. I'd be more than happy to send you some juvies when it warms up and shipping isn't impossible due to cold weather...maybe come springtime/early summer?? I'm happy to do it, just PM me anytime and I'll see what I can do :D (depending on their fry situation at the time - I usually trade them in at the LFS to prevent overstocking in my FW tank...I have shipped some to angelmom (Carrie) and they got there ok, a few losses, but I think the remaining ones are still ok) :D

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Thanks Kelly, I may take you up on that. Really I just wanted his pair because they were so awesome, but I am interested in Kribs and depending on the space I have available at that time, I may be looking into getting some more. Don't by any chance happen to have albinos too do ya? :D