Krib Tank (Planted 10 gal.)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie217 said:
GREAT Pictures BigV, that last pic of the lil fry is so darn cute. Looks like they are growing like mad too. Wish my camera could take pictures like that ;)
Hehe...and they swim around just like the adults too! You know---dart forward a bit, pause, study surroundings with their eyeballs, then dart again, then pause.

Constantly curious, and constantly on the lookout for food!
Of course I'm sure you know this already, since your lab and hybrid fry must act the same way. How are they doing these days? Any updated pics?

My angelfish exhibits this curious type of behavior too.
Heck, the angels let me reach into their tank now and basically brush against them with my hand---they sooo know that Big Vine's hand = food (well, most of the time anyway :p ).

That's what's so great about cichlids...gotta love em'! *thumbsups

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
James From Cali said:
I love to look at your pics BV. Especially the closeups of the babes. I was thinking about maybe getting an Albino Krib for my 10 but I dont think it will like the platys too much.
Thanks for the compliments, James. I'd say putting a krib in your tank might be a little risky, but it could work. The krib would certainly be a good means of population control as far as the platy fry are concerned!

Personally I wouldn't bother to keep kribs unless I had a breeding pair and planned on raising the fry, but that's just me. ;)

Albino krib as a centerpiece fish, eh? Hmm...could work, like I said, but I think it would "fit in" much better with smaller dither fish, rather than the platies.

Big Vine

Jan 9, 2007
www.freewebs.com
James from Cali, I heard that zebra danios and rosy barbs are good tankmates and dither/target fish as they can outswim the kribs and swim in the open which makes the kribs less shy.
Big Vine, I have a question. How can I find the right pair of kribs?*twirlysmi

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Stradius011 said:
How can I find the right pair of kribs?
Find a male and female that are of comparable size. Look for a female with a bright reddish/purplish blotch of coloration on her belly and pelvic fins, along with pronounced coloration on her finnage---particularly the dorsal fin. The males, albeit typically of duller coloration than the females, will often show a superb array of colors when in 'breeding mode.'

Here are some pics of mine that illustrate this:

Female

Male

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie217 said:
So...I hope you wont miss your camera...Or your Kribs... ;)
Okay, Katie. You can have some kribs when they're old enough to ship. Heck, you can have my camera too! You'll need to pay for shipping though...it's a tad bulky.

It's certainly worth it though, because as you've seen, it takes wonderful pictures.

Big Vine :D

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Wow Vine, to repeat it for the 38th time, stunning pictures... and beautiful coloration on the kribs. The pics of the male and female are perfect examples of showing the differences in the gender... in fact they are the first pics I've seen that have clearly done so.

The shutter speed on your camera must be great to catch such clear pics!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Fuzz...if you decide kribs, let me know, and I'm sure we can arrange something since Omaha's just 'up the road' from KC. ;)

Katie...I'd have to declare the contents of the package for Customs purposes, so I'm not sure how that will jive. Then again, didn't someone on the forum recently mention that shipping live stuff was okay as long as it's for the 'aquarium trade'? I'm just afraid I'll need a commercial license or something.

Of course, that all might be moot, since I don't know how they'd fare on the 2,000 mile trip either. :confused: lol

lordroad said:
The pics of the male and female are perfect examples of showing the differences in the gender... in fact they are the first pics I've seen that have clearly done so...The shutter speed on your camera must be great to catch such clear pics!
You should see what else I've got up my sleeve...which I will of course be 'hoarding' from public view until cichlid POTM. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments! *thumbsups
Big Vine

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL BigV...actually I wont be needing your kribs...
Went to the LFS, saw some REALLY nice kribs, got a male and female. Look like yours, the female is all pink :) and the male looks like your males brother ;)
I TOTALLY wasnt intending on buying ANY fish at the store, just lookin...but then I saw the kribs...ahh...oh jeeze

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Awesome! Sometimes those so-called 'impulse' fish purchases work out for the best. That's what happened when I bought the pair I have now. I really hadn't intended on picking any up that day (what with having had a huge ordeal with my first pair that died), but the ones I saw were so healthy-looking, and luckily I had already researched them, so there you have it!

Well, it's a shame you won't be able to take any pics until my camera gets there. I didn't bother shipping it overnight express on account of it being so heavy. :(

Big Vine

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Yeah they are lookin really good, so Im sure they'll be fine. still hiding tho, just added them to the tank about an hour or so ago.
That camera needs to hurry up and get here! ;)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
They're still hiding!
OMG, what have you done?!? :eek:

Katie217 said:
That camera needs to hurry up and get here! ;)
No biggie...just use your crappy one in the meantime and we'll settle for that...once the kribs come out of hiding, of course. ;)

Big Vine