Krib Tank (Planted 10 gal.)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Helena21 said:
from what I have just read on the net, the fry should be moved after a couple of weeks. :)
Yeah, I figured they would survive with the parents for at least another week or two. I'll wait until they're a little bigger and then move them in with the platy fry (which I may have to keep in a breeding trap to prevent from eating the krib fry).

If anyone else knows, please chime in.

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks guys...here's another one for you.
My only regret is that it turned out so dark, but oh well. I could photoshop it, but that would be 'cheating.'

Oh...and it would look way better if I wasn't resizing it down to fit the forum for folks who have less than about 19" monitors. :rolleyes:

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Glad my kribs could help (hopefully) be of some inspiration for you, Tessa. ;)

Just a quick update to let you know that I moved 7 of the fry into my other 10 gal. tank with Jericho and the 2 platy fry. There were 8 in total last night, but 1 eluded capture, so he'll just have to remain with mommy and daddy.

I'll post pics once the fry get bigger.
Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I got the one remaining fry moved over tonight. Unbelievably-strong little swimmer too---I had the siphon-vac directly over top of him and against the gravel as I did a water-change, and he managed to delay getting sucked up and into the hose for at least a good 10 seconds.

Needless to say I'll be moving my next batch of fry a lot sooner so that they don't give me such a bloody difficult time!

Helena21 said:
were there only 8 fry altogether then?. I thought they produced much more fry than that
40ish+ initially
-good chunk lost during various uprootings (rescapings) of the 38 gal. tank
-possibly a few losses due to predation by other fish

20ish at this point
-some lost during near-destruction of tank while trying to net krib mommy from 38 gal. tank (she's fast!!!)
-some lost during/following transfer of fry to 10 gal. krib tank

10ish at this point
-2 or 3 mysteriously disappeared; remaining 8 moved to 10 gal. fry tank

My prediction is that the next spawn will produce upwards of 50 fry. I'll then move them to the fry tank after several days, where I anticipate having 25+ survive into adulthood (because I'll sort of know what I'm doing the next time 'round). :cool:

Big Vine

Last edited:

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Fry Update

Though they're not in this tank anymore, I figured I'd still post an update on the remaining fry from my kribs' first batch.

Sadly, there only appears to be a total of 5 surviving fry, but they are looking good.

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks guys. They're actually a little smaller than the 2 platy fry they're in with at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see what happens as they begin outgrowing the platies. I think they'll end up being good buddies. :)

Pat,

I have another thread in this section of the forum entitled "Happy Krib Pair," which should provide you with the answers you seek. Like Stradius said, they are very easy to breed.

The real trick is in finding an actual pair...
Sometimes they don't like each other, and one will kill the other. :eek:

Once they're a pair, the rest takes care of itself. The female will typically lay eggs on the side/roof of a half-coconut shell or similar cave-type dwelling. Parents take turns guarding the eggs and keep guarding their brood when the fry are free-swimming.

Mine guarded their fry for about 2 weeks, at which time I separated the fry from the adults and put them into their own tank (for all I know the adults would have kept protecting them a lot longer :confused: ).

Big Vine