Kissy's 55g tank

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
That gravel is pretty creative. Looks pretty cool.

Blue, the water only needs to sit for 24 hrs. After that..as long as the temp is stable fish can be acclimated.
How long does it take the carbon the remove the heavy metals and toxins from tap water?

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Hmmm, so I have contradicting advice here...:)

I'd really like to move all the cories into the 55g and maybe even the otos. I can't find one of the otos and I'm hoping I didn't stress him/her too much with all the moving yesterday...:( But the cories seem healthy and happy with their algae wafer. I need to get some more gravel and move Weebo out of the 5g to access that gravel as well. Maybe I'll ask mom to get some today.

(I'm totally sick with a cold or something. I have half my voice but my lungs are full of crap. :()

And thanks for all the positive comments! :D

EDIT: The missing oto has been located (alive!) and there's a bunch of ramshorns in the 55g which somehow survived the move yesterday. :)
Looks good. If you get rams, the snails will disappear.

Have you decided on what new fish to get?

Looks good. If you get rams, the snails will disappear.
Really? Dang it, I was planning on keeping them so I could periodically feed them to Weebo...:(

My fish plan is as follows but it can still be altered. It all depends on what the local stores here carry and how much they cost...

2 Rams (not sure on the quantity yet)
4 Cories (have them already)
3 Otos (just need one more)
1 Rubberlip Pleco
8 Zebra Danios or Harlequin Rasboras (again not sure on how many to get)

That should be about 43 inches of fish. Suggestions? :D

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
WTF you could throw more fishies in there!!!!! Your tank will just fine with a pair of Angels. Why not do both harliquen rasboras and zebra danios??? Your tank will be just fine. And there is that small pl*co option.(starts nagging how they are the best fish in the world and ottos are bunch of CRAP towards pl*cos)

Ok, that's really not necessary. I don't like it when people say that, sorry, but please stop.

And I know I can add more fish, but I'm looking for something that would be compatible with what I've already listed. Not angels that are totally different than what I'm planning and wouldn't really work with what I want. And the otos are staying because they are just fine imo. :p

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I must say I love rubberlip plecos, very cute little buggers! I have 8 harlequins in my 55 and I love them, I think they are a lot more attractive than danios. But, I think you should add more corys!

Well my cories are definitely happy with their upgrade. Mom and dad are spawning again!!! They haven't done that in months! So now I'm almost guaranteed 30 more cories cuz there's no one in the tank who will eat them. :(

Unfortunately, Mrs. Oto is still haning on to her eggs...but it can't take that much longer.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Well my cories are definitely happy with their upgrade. Mom and dad are spawning again!!! They haven't done that in months! So now I'm almost guaranteed 30 more cories cuz there's no one in the tank who will eat them. :(

Unfortunately, Mrs. Oto is still haning on to her eggs...but it can't take that much longer.
Have you ever thought about fish husbandry as a career? :p

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Really? Dang it, I was planning on keeping them so I could periodically feed them to Weebo...:(

My fish plan is as follows but it can still be altered. It all depends on what the local stores here carry and how much they cost...

2 Rams (not sure on the quantity yet)
4 Cories (have them already)
3 Otos (just need one more)
1 Rubberlip Pleco
8 Zebra Danios or Harlequin Rasboras (again not sure on how many to get)

That should be about 43 inches of fish. Suggestions? :D
When I pulled my rams out for quarantine, the tank exploded with baby snails, when I put them back, no more baby snails.

The danios are goign to be very important as they stay towards the top and create all sorts of chaos up there that brings the other fish out. Your otos will also school with them and race them from time to time.

There is a fairly new species of danio which is really cool Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Celestial Pearl Danio

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Haha! Yeah right. This is only a hobby................right? :eek:
When I left Wall Street 10 years ago, one of my clients asked me what I was going to do. I had no real plans so he advised me to find something I liked doing and then find a way to make money doing it.

I took his advice and have had a rewarding career in IT for the past 10 years. Work is like play for me.

I like what you've done with the gravel. Looks very cool! Btw...I noticed what looks like a Penny Black on the large blue book to the far left of the bottom shelf. Stamp album???
Thanks. And yeah, it's a stamp album. I picked up stamp collecting a long while back (my mom was totally into it) but it got kinda boring after a while. I have a pen pal in Paraguay and she purposely puts cool looking ones on her letters, so I still kinda use it. :)

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
But I can't make a living off of that. Plus, I really wouldn't want that as a career. I think it would get boring after a while...:)

Then again, I don't even know what I want to study in college...hmmm...
Somebody, somewhere is making quite a lot of money breeding cories and selling them at $3 apeice. Take anyones hobby and somebody, somewhere is making a million dollars doing it and havign fun.

If you look at the world today, one of the biggest problems is how to feed all the people. Our oceans and rivers and lakes are dying and there is a huge demand for people with solutions to these problems.

Your first year of college will guide you to a career that fits you. Aside from the boring math, english and history, you will be able to choose electives and get a taste of pretty much anything you want.

If you look at the world today, one of the biggest problems is how to feed all the people. Our oceans and rivers and lakes are dying and there is a huge demand for people with solutions to these problems.
My SAT tutor guy is a biologist for lakes (as in, not a marine biologist, I forgot what it's called.) But he says it takes forever to get through school to become one...
My mom always wanted me to become a marine biologist cuz I love dolphins, but I don't think I would want to make that a career. I was thinking about something in the criminology/law inforcment area, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Your first year of college will guide you to a career that fits you. Aside from the boring math, english and history, you will be able to choose electives and get a taste of pretty much anything you want.
We talked about the exact same thing at dinner today! By the time I finish high school, I'll already have college class finished in English 101 and 102, physics, and precalculus and maybe more. So I'll have some time (and money) to spare next year. :)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Thanks. And yeah, it's a stamp album. I picked up stamp collecting a long while back (my mom was totally into it) but it got kinda boring after a while. I have a pen pal in Paraguay and she purposely puts cool looking ones on her letters, so I still kinda use it. :)
Boring?!?! Tsk tsk! Find a theme or topic that interests you. I'm not into themes much myself, but did concentrate primarily on USA, Germany and area (very extensive), British Machins, Slovenia, Croatia, and a few others. Then after getting into aquariums I started a collection of fish on stamps.

I haven't put any effort, time, or money into my collection lately...all the extra cash goes into fish stuff.

I haven't put any effort, time, or money into my collection lately...all the extra cash goes into fish stuff.
Hehehe...Same here. I'm broke.

"Worldwide statistics indicate that a disease affecting fish owners is on the rise again.
MTS is a common disease among fish keepers that causes them to buy and maintain multiple tanks.
This poses a problem for those who can not afford it.
These helpless fish addicts devote all their time and money to their aquariums.
If you would like to support these unfortunate souls, please PM me for more details."
*GOLDFISH*