Kissy's 55g tank

So, I really want to get started on the tank, but of course, I can't do anything yet cuz all I have is the tank...:(

So I figured, I'd start seriously thinking about stocking options. I have a vague idea of what I'd like...

-Peppered Cories (I already have 4)
-Otos (I'm not sure about those yet)
-Some kind of ram (Pets Inc. has GBRs and Gold Rams)
-Rubberlip Pleco (1 or 2? Idk yet. I've been reading other posts and thought they might go well with the otos...)
-Some sort of schooling fish, preferably at least 7-8 fish (Something was already recommended, but I forgot what it was...I think maybe some rasboras would go well...?)

A question about rams: someone said they need to "pair off." What does that mean? I need to buy more than what I want and then see which ones go along well and return the rest? I'm confused.

And more suggestions on the school of fish would be great.

I'm not sure where I am with the number of inches now, but I'd like the max to be within the 1 inch of fish per gallon if possible.

And if anyone has specific first hand experience or info about any of these fish, that'd be great. Except the cories, I've got those under control. ;) Thanks for any suggestions!! :D

As I recall, you've expressed some anti-tetra sentiments in the past (;)), but I've gotta say that I really enjoy watching my rummynose tetras. They even tell you when they're stressed out or hungry! :cool:
Hehe, yeah, I guess I was just sick of the black neon tetras I had. They were pretty boring...
I kinda want a cool looking fish that will school a lot, be active, but won't distract from the centerpiece (the rams).

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
IME, the rummynoses school much more tightly than other tetras that I've seen (e.g. my gold pristellas). I think that's what attracted me to the rummynoses in the first place. What's really funny is when one or two of them suddenly realizes that the school has gone elsewhere and darts around looking for his buddies! :p Check some out at the LFS; see what you think.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
If you are sick of tetras and want an awesome schooling fish I would go with glass cats. They school real tight, are awesome to look at, and are more intelligent then tetras imo. Only draw back is they are kinda pricey

Have you ever thought of haveing a group of female bettas???
I did, once upon a time...:) I haven't really had much luck with bettas. They seem to die after a year. Plus my last one totally freaked me out with his bloating thing.

I also wanted to try something new again. The only thing I'll already be familiar with are the cories and otos. Anything else I haven't tried before (but is easy to take care of) will do.

And nothing pricy. :eek: Those glass cats look kinda weird, like some cat just ate the skin off...hehehe. Not really my type.

And it has to be available at either Petco, Petsmart, or Pets Inc. No online ordering.

Aaaah!!!!! Gaaaaaaah! I'm so excited!!!!!! I got the stand and the lights today. I built the stand and plugged in the lights and it's all so awesome!!! Now all I have to do is wait for Saturday so I can tear down the 20g, move the 5g, and then get every else set up!!! I'll use the filter pump thing from the 20g and the gravel to cycle the 55g. I'm gonna have to wait some more before I get the real pump though. Aaaaah! I feel like jumping around the house!!!!!!

Ok. I'm ok now.....:D :D :D :D :D

Before:

After:

Last night I moved Weebo's tank out of my room and brought all the swordtails to Petco this morning. They are in the plant tanks if anyone wants them...:) Then I moved all the cories and otos into the 6.6g after I cleaned it and then started setting up the new guy!!! :D

So, here it is (it looks rather empty and I don't have nearly enough gravel in there.) And I left it backgroundless because I kinda like the color of my wall as the background...:eek:

I moved everything from the 20g into the 55g including the filter which is running atm. How long should I let it sit fishless? The only thing that doesn't have bacteria on it are the walls...so I shouldn't have much of a cycle at all right? I was planning to wait a week until I move the cories...any opinions?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Looks good! *thumbsups

I moved everything from the 20g into the 55g including the filter which is running atm. How long should I let it sit fishless? The only thing that doesn't have bacteria on it are the walls...so I shouldn't have much of a cycle at all right? I was planning to wait a week until I move the cories...any opinions?
I'd move some fish in there if you plan on keeping all the beneficial bacteria colonies (on old substrate and established filter media) alive---they'll need an ammonia source (fish) or else they'll starve and die off.

Congrats on the new tank!
BV

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Before:

After:

Last night I moved Weebo's tank out of my room and brought all the swordtails to Petco this morning. They are in the plant tanks if anyone wants them...:) Then I moved all the cories and otos into the 6.6g after I cleaned it and then started setting up the new guy!!! :D

So, here it is (it looks rather empty and I don't have nearly enough gravel in there.) And I left it backgroundless because I kinda like the color of my wall as the background...:eek:

You need to wait at least a few days for the water to season. Test the water and if everything is at 0, then add in one of yoru fish that is usually very active and swims near the top. This way if you see him hugging the bottom, you will know something is wrong.

The biological filter from the 20 and the gravel will support a few fish almost immediately.

Do not put untreated tap water right into the tank as it will kill the bacteria in the gravel and filter.

Hmmm, so I have contradicting advice here...:)

I'd really like to move all the cories into the 55g and maybe even the otos. I can't find one of the otos and I'm hoping I didn't stress him/her too much with all the moving yesterday...:( But the cories seem healthy and happy with their algae wafer. I need to get some more gravel and move Weebo out of the 5g to access that gravel as well. Maybe I'll ask mom to get some today.

(I'm totally sick with a cold or something. I have half my voice but my lungs are full of crap. :()

And thanks for all the positive comments! :D

EDIT: The missing oto has been located (alive!) and there's a bunch of ramshorns in the 55g which somehow survived the move yesterday. :)

Last edited: