Kissy's 55g tank

Yes, yes, the upgrade has finally arrived!!! :D Unfortunately I can not offer more than this lame picture of just the tank, as I am in the process of buying the rest of the stuff (stand, hood, lights, filter...) So here is my newest addition to my hobby:

I'm going to get rid of/sell my 20g and my 5g in order to supply the funds for this insane project. I won't be able to set it up until the stand arrives...so I have to wait.

Anyway, it will probably hold at least the four cories I have now and live plants of course! I will continue to research other "bigger" options as I am sick of swordtails eating my flakes. Any suggestions for stocking are welcome!!! :D

Kissy your like 18ish why not look into a JOB!!!!!!!!
I wanted to get a summer job, but I got wrapped up in other things. And since I'm focusing on getting school done and looking for colleges and scholarships right now, I really don't have the time. I don't know how/why other kids do it, but my parents wouldn't be so happy if I had a regular job.

I babysit...a lot. :D

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I don't know how/why other kids do it, but my parents wouldn't be so happy if I had a regular job.

I used to work on weekends at the family restaurant from the time I was 12, up until my 2nd semester of college...
And my senior year of high school, I had a co-op job. I went to school in the mornings, and went to work in the afternoons. :rolleyes:

I was working 2 jobs while in high school and during my first semester at college. It's do-able.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
I wanted to get a summer job, but I got wrapped up in other things. And since I'm focusing on getting school done and looking for colleges and scholarships right now, I really don't have the time. I don't know how/why other kids do it, but my parents wouldn't be so happy if I had a regular job.

School is your job. Until you graduate college, nothing else is as important.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
I used to work on weekends at the family restaurant from the time I was 12, up until my 2nd semester of college...
And my senior year of high school, I had a co-op job. I went to school in the mornings, and went to work in the afternoons. :rolleyes:

I was working 2 jobs while in high school and during my first semester at college. It's do-able.
Yes it is doable, but unless there is a need, a student is best off being a student and concentrating on their studies and school activities.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
School is your job. Until you graduate college, nothing else is as important.
Agreed, unless you need to work (and there's nothing wrong with that), your time is better spent with schoolwork.

Congrats on the 55G, Kissy! Though I enjoy my 10G and 29G tanks very much, I, too, am thinking about upsizing (but not 'til we move ;)). I know I won't be able to keep all of my tanks. The difficult part will be deciding which one to ditch and how to ditch it.

Do not skimp on the stand!

And, are you so sure that all of those swordtail babies are male? They have a way of surprising as they get older! :p

How's the college search going?

And, are you so sure that all of those swordtail babies are male? They have a way of surprising as they get older! :p

How's the college search going?
Actually I think they're all female, although that could change. :D But I'm not keeping them anyway.

And I've half-way applied to four different collleges/universities so far. They want a whole lot of info and it takes forever to plug it all in there.

Nice to see you back! :D

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Actually I think they're all female, although that could change. :D But I'm not keeping them anyway.
Well, of the twelve that survived from my female's first two rounds of birthing, I've given away six and am about to give away three more this weekend (I only want to keep one female). The six that I gave away were male. I figured I should have mostly females left -- but two of them are, as I now realize, male! I basically keep 'em 'til I figure they can hold their own at the LFS. Long story short, one of those male babies impregnated someone else in the tank before I could give him away, because I found more fry in my tank this weekend! :eek: (Four of 'em.) At first I thought it was his mother (ew!), but now I think it was one of his sisters (ew!). So, the moral is those baby swordtails grow up and reproduce fast. :D

And I've half-way applied to four different collleges/universities so far. They want a whole lot of info and it takes forever to plug it all in there.
Yeah, I remember (barely). It helps to re-use as much of each application as you can, but be careful that you still tailor each application specifically enough that the readers don't feel as though you're re-using bits of applications!

So, what're you going to do with the 55G when you leave for college? :confused:

Nice to see you back! :D
Thanks! I was never going to be gone for all that long. ;)

Well, their applications are all online now, so all you do is fill in the blanks basically. I haven't written any essays yet cuz I don't know about what and who wants them. But I did finish my transcript! :) That is a pain in the butt to make yourself. Gaaah! Stupid homeschooling. ;) I have to find all the names of the classes I took at the random community colleges and write everything down.

And the tank stays here. :) My brother will (gladly?) take over the cleaning and stuff. He's ok with that I think. Plus everyone likes sitting in my room watching fish...very fun activity...so they can do their part to help maintain it. :D

I'll probably end up taking the 6.6g with me, depending on where I go, with Weebo and a couple otos. But we'll see where I get accepted first.

Anyway, back to the point. :) Here's what I've ordered so far:

The stand which was on sale and I got free shipping and $5 off through google checkout!
Aquatic Fundamentals 55 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand at PETCO

And the hoods and lights which were also $5 off but no free shipping because for some reason it did not apply...but I did get two free Marineland timers with them!
Deluxe Fluorescent Hood in Black at PETCO

I'll get the pump later when I have money again...:) probably from aquariumguys instead of Petco though. :D Yay!

Congrats Kissy! Now that you have your 55 gal, you are going to want bigger!!!
Haha, I wish, luckily, nothing bigger will fit...unless maybe a 75g, but I think I'm set with the 55g! :D

Planted tank or no? Will that hood be able to support the type of lighting you'd need for plants in that size tank?
Yeah, I'm going planted. The hood and light combo thing is the same thing that's on my 20g atm and it's keeping my plants alive so I think it's ok.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
I have to find all the names of the classes I took at the random community colleges and write everything down.
Many State Universities have an "upgrade" path for those with credits at community colleges. Thsi allows you almost "automatic" admissions to the bigger state universities. In some states it is a way to back door into a traditionally selective university.