Journal: beginner 10g planted tank

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
HAHA calling my fry before they even hatch. :p

I doubt I will get any from this batch but I was told they usually lay eggs every couple of weeks so if these don't work out I'm sure there will be more soon.

Thanks Brian, I'm glad that my GBRs have paired up for sure. I just hope I can get some fry out of all of this :D

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
HAHA calling my fry before they even hatch. :p

I doubt I will get any from this batch but I was told they usually lay eggs every couple of weeks so if these don't work out I'm sure there will be more soon.

Thanks Brian, I'm glad that my GBRs have paired up for sure. I just hope I can get some fry out of all of this :D

I still have dibbs on whatever fry grow up into adulthood! lol I hope that they make it.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ken it looks like your going to have to wait for another batch down the road. I looked in there today and it looked like all the eggs were still there and the male was still hovering over them guarding the eggs but when the lights came back on today it looks like the eggs started to become breakfast for the GBRs. They are pretty much all gone now but I don't think had been fertilized anyway. I think in order to actually have fry I will have to use RO water which will lower my Ph but I will give the GBRs at least a couple more tries to see what happens. If I do decide to breed them and raise the fry I will find some RO at the grocery store to help lower my Ph.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well it actually looks like there are a few eggs left in the tank and they are still being guarded by the GBRs. The eggs left are kinda dark and blend in with the driftwood. I can't really tell what color they are but they are no longer the bright white they initially were so I was having a tough time seeing them. I'm hoping that the darkening of the eggs means they are developing but I guess time will tell.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I don't think there are any eggs left. I'm not 100% sure if they ate them all or moved them. I know that I have read in quite a few places online that they will sometime move the newly hatched babies but they will still guard them and they don't seem to be guarding any part of the tank. I think the eggs are all gone but they should probably be laying more in a couple of weeks.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I've read it's really common for them to eat the first couple spawns until they get the hang of things and yeah that they move the 'wigglers'. Apparently they can spawn once or twice a month so it shouldn't be too long!

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I read that stuff too. I expected the eggs to be gone pretty quick due to that but instead they both took turns guarding the eggs. I'm not sure if they had gotten fertilized though so they might not exactly know what they are doing yet, but from what I have read they should spawn again in no time so I look forward to that.

I have read that the do move the wigglers so I wasn't sure if maybe the eggs had hatched and they moved the wigglers somewhere. I don't think that happened though or they would probably still be guarding the babies and they don't seem to be doing that. Hopefully the next spawn or two does better.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah it was really hard to tell what color they were because they really were kinda covered where they were and the light wasn't hitting them right on. They seemed to get darker and almost blend in with the wood so maybe they were but they seem to be all gone now.

Mar 7, 2008
nice tank. i stopped reading after a half hour and 45 pages. look slike all you rhard work payed off. has your wisteria taken over the whole tank?

also, how does the java moss grow? i have been thinking about it for my system 12.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The wisteria really hasn't taken over the tank at all. I just trim it up and sometimes use the clippings somewhere else in the tank or just ditch them. As for the moss I can't tell how well its growing. Its not getting brown or dying but its hard to tell if its spreading out a lot or not. I need to tie it down better then it is at the moment though but I have a tendency to be kinda lazy haha.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
As requested here is a much needed update for this tank. I still haven't had any new eggs from my GBRs and not much new as far as the plants go. I have really just been sitting back and letting the plants do what they want.

Anyway on with the pictures!

FTS

Left side

Right side

Oto

Here are my tetras hanging out under the driftwood

Male GBR

Male GBR again

Female GBR