Journal: beginner 10g planted tank

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thank you BV

I was really worried about the GBRs for awhile after I got them. I was even thinking about going back to the LFS and exchanging my female for another because she had been getting chased all around the tank by the male. I decided to wait a few more days to see what happened and last night they seemed to be doing better and today they almost seem to be following each other around now so it seems that they have paired off :D

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I just want to put a quick update in my journal. I know that many of you have already seen this but I want to log this in my journal as well. I received my shipment of replacement apistos and there were actually extras in there. All 5 fish died in shipping again so I have pretty much given up on getting them for now and I'm just moving on.

One other item for the update. I had some extra java moss that Ishar sent and I didn't really have room for all of it. I took the extra moss and shipped it to pwrmacg4 and he happened to have an extra filter sitting around so he sent that to me. I have taken my penguin 100 out of my tank and replaced it with the penguin 150. I can now setup another 10g tank to use as a QT or fry tank so that is what I will save my other filter for.

Well thats it for now. I will update again soon.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I didn't expect to be updating this thread again so soon but exciting stuff tonight. I now have GBR EGGS :D :D :D haha

Well the GBRs seemed to be preparing a spot in my large piece of driftwood all day today. They would be like cleaning it off like they were eating pieces of food out of the spot. The would also just kinda both lay in the spot when they weren't doing this so I was paying close attention to them after I saw them acting a bit out of the ordinary. The female seemed to have brighter colors and the male would also put his nose against her belly just before I noticed the eggs.

So I guess this thread is useless without pics as some may say so here are a few pictures.

I had my camera out earlier today because of the strange behavior of the fish that I was trying to catch. I didn't catch any of this but I did get a decent picture of the female earlier today before she laid the eggs.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I didn't expect them to really last over night but the male seems to be guarding the eggs. He is just kinda in the little dug out spot in the driftwood hovering over the eggs and it appears that they are all still there so hopefully they will last. I do have one of the floating breeder things so if any babies show up I will be sure to place them in there until I have time to setup a fry tank.

I will update later today and let you know if anything happens. :D

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I just wanted to put another update in here. The eggs seem to all still be there and haven't been eaten yet. I'm not sure if they have been fertilized or not though. They were pretty white last night which I think means that they haven't been fertilized. They still seem somewhat white but may me a little bit darker tonight. Its hard to tell if there is any change to the eggs or if they have a little bit of color because the eggs are kinda covered. The placement of the in the driftwood keeps the eggs safe from almost all all areas except right in front but the parents seem to be taking turns guarding the eggs. I heard that they can hatch with 24-48 hours so I will keep an eye on them and keep my fingers crossed.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I want dibbs on a pair.. male and female! I know that they will come from a good home!.. I will even Pay for the overnight shipping! not the normal apistodave country infinity week! lol