Ghost Shrimp?

i think so, but if i saw amano shrimp in the store i would buy it at any price cause it never sells it here and i'm really desperate for some :) oh the ghost shrimp sometimes it is yellowish to clear and usualy the people at the pet stores and fish stores aren't right. Right now i can only recall one brown shrimp which is the bamboo shrimp or maybe it was called something else but it looks brownish

canefins

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
Wow,
I buy about 2 dozen a week at petland for my stingrays as a treat, they usually run about 2.49 a dozen here but I can go out with a cast net and get 100's in about half an hour here on the gulf.

ghost shrimps are peaceful little shrimpies. even if they aren't they can't cause any damage with there tiny little claws. back when i had my ghost shrimp and my Chinese algae eaters would swim by all the ghost shrimps would just raise their claws at the CAE but they can't even grab hold of anything with those so its no problem for cories. They dont even bother my african dwarf frog that just lays at the bottom. But you know what was weird about the ghost shrimp. One day i had like 5 ghost shrimps then like after a day or two of not watching them all of them dissapeared and i couldn't find one trace of them anywhere in the tank and there was no bodies or anything left, not even the shell and i checked everywhere then after that i never got anymore :/

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
heh well thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting 2 of the Giant Amano shrimp and one smaller red japonica. The two giant see-thru Japonicas are doing great..but the small red one seems to have disappeared like Balloon Fish's shrimps! What gives?

I'm hoping its hiding somewhere and I cant see it...I even checked my filter media to see if it got sucked in but didnt see it there..heh.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
im not sure..I didnt think amano shrimps came in red. It might be a cherry shrimp but its pretty small and doesnt look like the pics of cherry shrimps I've seen. Are there any other types of red algae eating shrimps?

The red ones cost less than the amanos at my lfs.

regardless, I cant seem to find the red one anywhere in my tank now. Either its hiding very well or it got eaten/sucked into my filter? Strange..that it would disappear so quickly.

amano shrimps dont come in red, unless you mean the little dots that are on the side... i've seen ones with sorta red dots and brownish ones too. have you checked the candy cane shrimps (not sure if its the right name but its striped like a candy cane) those are red. and the longe nose ones...but i dont know the name of it either.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmmm yeah im pretty sure its not a candy cane shrimp...my red one is like a smaller version of the amano shrimp but red. maybe it is a cherry shrimp...all I know is that the name on the tank read "algae eater shrimp".

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I dont think amano shrimp is the official name for them..my Lfs called them Japonica which is their scientific name I think. Amano is just the name of the guy who made these shrimps popular in aqauriums..

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
one more question about Amano shrimps..

I dont see alot of algae in my tank since its relatively new. I was wondering if i need to buy sinking algae wafers to suppliment their diet. Or will the leftover food on the bottom of the gravel be enough for them to live on?

how much do these guys eat?