Ghost Shrimp?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
After reading some posts on here about Ghost Shrimp, I think I would like to get one for my tank so that leftover food on the bottom of the tank is taken care of.

However, a few of the petstores I've been to do not carry them. Are these Ghost Shrimp rare to find? Does anyone living in the NYC area know which petstores sell them?

I saw a Bamboo Shrimp being sold at a Petco but do not know if it has the same properties as a ghost shrimp. Plus, the Bamboo shrimps kinda scare me and are not as cute as the Ghosts.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
I think ghost shrimp are pretty common. Many places sell them as feeders for large cichlids. I bought 10 shrimp at one time and the lady said "that's all the shrimp you want?" I guess they are used to people buying a bunch at one time.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Our local Petsmart usually has them. I wouldn't say they are rare, but they can be hard to find sometimes. If you're patient and keep checking the stores, you'll probably get some eventually. It often helps to ask the clerk or manager every time you go in if they have any.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah Ive been checking Petco and they dont stock em here either. There are no Walmarts in NYC yet. I'll check some of the smaller local petstores maybe.

How do i pick out a healthy ghost shrimp? what should i be looking for?

Feb 28, 2005
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
i always try to pick out ones with a clear shell and body. some in the tanks are molting and are kinda opaque. i try to stay away from those because they seem kinda stressed from molting and i try to avoid stressing them more by moving them into a new tank.

i also try to pick out the ones that are active and swimming around. they just make me feel better :)

quick note: when i bought some from walmart, the lady there told me to hold them above the security checkpoints at the doors (you know the ones that beep when someone steals something) because the magnetic field generated by them is strong and tends to kill them. however, when i held them above the checkpoints, they still died. i dont think it helps at all, because if i just walk out with them, they somehow stay alive more than when i try to avoid the checkpoints. just thought i would share this with you and anyone else interested in this magnetic field phenomena. :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I think a good strategy with chost shrimp is to buy them in large numbers and QT them if possible. Some will likely die, so by buying more than you need, you're more likely to end up with enough. Also, they cost like 23 cents a piece, so why not get more.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Or maybe they just tell you that because they know half of their fish are basically DOA anyway, effectively shifting the blame away from their very poor level of water quality and disease quarantining practices (or lack thereof), and onto the mysteriously scanners.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Stevie said:
They cost 1 Euro each over here!!!!!!! But than again Ireland is rip off central!!! *thumbsdow

EHHHHHHHHHHH............HELLO,where is the out cry,where is the boycoting Irish petshop in protest!!!!! Where is "Im sorry you live in a rip off country,Steve.Let me send you over some money,to make up for it"?????

spiffergirl said:
quick note: when i bought some from walmart, the lady there told me to hold them above the security checkpoints at the doors (you know the ones that beep when someone steals something) because the magnetic field generated by them is strong and tends to kill them. however, when i held them above the checkpoints, they still died. i dont think it helps at all, because if i just walk out with them, they somehow stay alive more than when i try to avoid the checkpoints. just thought i would share this with you and anyone else interested in this magnetic field phenomena. :)
The lady at walmart told me the same thing and i was thinking to myself..."i buy fish from here longer then you've worked here and never had i held my fish up in the air like an idiot when i walk out that door so why start now?" and never has the thingy beeped.

Oh and btw i get ghosts 12 for a dollar *SUPERSMIL

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmmm..I wonder why I cant seem to find any here in NYC then.
I went to one aquarium today and saw something that looked like a ghost shrimp, only it was labeled Japonica shrimp..and cost about $5 each! Has anyone heard of ghost shrimp being called that?

I also went to another store and the guy told me that they look brown..not clear transparent.

The search continues...

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmm..after doing some research..i think the Japonica seethru shrimps I saw are also known as Amano shrimps. I think these are primarily algae eaters. Do they eat leftover food as well?