Fishdad's Reef Setup

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Little update on my dinoflagellate issue. As of yesterday they were beginning to get out of hand, so I drove around from fish store to fish store until I found a bottle of Ultra Algae X that got a good review on another forum. Most people have never heard of it. Its instructions are in German and is extremely rare to come by in the US apparently. Dosing instruction (I found english translation) are 5ml per 100lt every two days until algae is gone but no more than 21 days. They claim no livestock or bacteria will be harmed and specifically target dinos. I took the plunge and tried it since all other attempts were proving futile.

I can say thus far it seems to be working. Dino growth is seriously hindered and and coral seem unaffected. I'll keep dosing until they're gone.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yeah me too. I think if I don't do something drastic bad things will happen anyway. Snails started dying. Corals began to be covered. Looked as if it may be growing to red tide scales.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I'm a fan so far. Its sort of mind blowing that so much light can come from so little hardware. The best is as they're fading out, around 20%. It creates a real cool effect.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
DINO UPDATE: 95% annihilated. Had zero dino growth today. I say 95% because there is a lot of dino remnants floating around the tank. No adverse livestock issue thus far.

"Soon the rebellion will be crushed..." - The Emperor

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Look at my beautiful fish tank!

This is a major weapon against the rebel dinos. I decided to do a full 3 day blackout in conjunction with the Ultra Algae X. The two combined should eliminate them.

I left some spaces for oxidation but there is almost no ambient light penetrating.

"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive." - The Emporer

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
So my 4 year old came up to my wife with his toy ambulance in tow. He said, "Mommy, the fish needed to go in the ambulance." So of course she opened the back hatch and laying on the stretcher was a dead dried out gold head goby. It was cute but very frustrating.

He was pretty dried out so the little guy must have carpet surfed last night out of the one little spot that I left uncovered for oxidation. Too bad, he was an awesome looking fish with a cool personality.

"He's no good to me dead." - Boba Fett

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ouch.
fish find the most ridiculous spots in the tank covers to escape. i try to cover all i can.

is your sump covered? you can use your sump for the oxygenation and cover all the spaces on your tank with something that blocks flying fish.