Fishdad's Reef Setup

Feb 27, 2009
I'll try to find out exactly when their tentacles come out.
I was lucky. I had a friend that did video monitoring for an alarm company. He set up a camera for 48 hours. It took a photo every 5 minutes with a time stamp. This was long before 'technology' was everywhere!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Here's a question for you guys...

Why has my skimmer stopped producing skimmate? It used to really put out some funk but now nearly nothing. I adjusted the water level higher and still nothing. Could my water be that clean? I am also running bio pellets, gfo and carbon if that makes a difference. Its not clogged in or out. Its not dirty from what I can see. I'm wondering if the size of my bio load and light feeding is the cause.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea maybe the water is finally clean. do you run your skimmer all the time? i don't remember if people run it 24/7 or just a few days. do w/e the other reefers do lol.
I never dealt with a large tank and skimmer :p

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yeah it runs all the time. I did find some anecdotal evidence of problems with water being too clean when running GFO, Carbon and Biopellets. My bio pellet reactor feed directly into the skimmer there by skimming out the anaerobic that consumes the nitrates allowing for more fresh anaerobic to grow. I guess the problem can be that the gfo and carbon, when used in a low bioload situation can consume all the organics in the water column and leave virtually zero nitrates behind to be consumed by the anaerobic. Thus nothing to skim. That's my theory anyway.

On the other hand I read about many people who never had issues. I'll tell you what though, I haven't had to clean the glass in over a week, its crystal.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
My concern however is the opposite, that the skimmer is working properly and my tank is actually building up organically. But I think everything would look like hell if that were the case. I wonder if that brown algae on sand has something to do with this?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i think you'll be fine. patience. the skimmer isn't going to die and neither will the beneficial bacteria in your rock work from too few fish now. that's why you build slow. and don't worry. you're going to hit bumps along your way, you can't avoid them all :p

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
So my LFS gave me a TDS meter for Christmas. That was pretty kickin' since I was getting ready to buy one my self. I'm worried my ro filters might be running their course. Turns out my RO water is checking in at 1ppm. In contrast my tap water is 145. Just for fun I measured my freshwater tanks and my kids' 55g is 197 and my wife's 30 gallon is 205.

I also replaced the micro and carbon filters on the ro/di unit with the hopes of extending the membrane life.

I thought that was interesting info to share.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Those membranes aren't cheap right? I haven't looked into them yet since I don't think I need one for a little while. There is the RO membrane which I think is the expensive one, then there is the DI filter media which is the greenish granules. Not sure how much the DI is either but the carbon and micro ran me $15 for the two.

If my water was that high in TDS I would definitely drink RO/DI water. I just read that in the UK 500 is typical tap water levels. If I ever go over seas I'm taking my TDS meter with me.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
my 40 gallon is regularly 600TDs. my tap water is a fun concoction for sure. a lot of phosphates i think.

1TDS isn't bad on an RO/DI filter but it signals that the membranes are starting to go. you're often looking at a $100+ per replacement if you have 3-4 filters to replace on that RO/DI unit.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I gotcha, that's not that bad. I've read that people can keep there membranes for years as long that they change out the first two. I wonder if that 1ppm is a true reading also. The filters are as old as this thread, so three months. The DI hasn't changed color yet and I read some things by people who claim to know a thing or two about this, that 0ppm water can easily pick up 1ppm from a combination of air born particles, loose particles from the filters from start up or residue from the container it self.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
It seems everyone has their preference. There really are no rules in this hobby, just different experiences. Someone's signature on another forum was pretty accurate I thought, "We don't keep fish, we keep water." Boy is that the truth, especially in a reef tank.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
That brown algae issue hasn't been getting better. I think it may be getting slowly worse. I also am on the verge of re-diagnosing it as dinoflagellates. It regrows very fast after I syphon it out, like a matter of minutes. The parts that get heavy accumulation seam to get dense, almost jelly-like, though not yet the towering snot bubbles that are attributed to dino. The one thing that is keeping me from confirming this diagnosis is the fact that my snails are voracious eaters of this stuff, which normally is supposed to kill anything that tries to eat it. So I'm a little stumped. As for treatment most people seam to have success with 3-4 days of total darkness.

Anyone here have experience with Dinos?