finally started 90g stand

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Hi Brian, quick note on the construction.

I'm really glad you added the center supports - what runs through my mind when designing something like this is "It has to hold up x-hundred pounds indefinately." I estimated my 45g tank to end up being close to 500 lbs, so yours is going to be at least twice that with everything included.

I just want your tank to be safe. Your top and bottom frames will never fail you built like that, especially with a sheet of 3/4" ply on top!

The plywood siding will really help spread the weight out around the entire structure, especially around the sides, but I would just like to echo what someone said about adding additional support on the four corner legs - what you have done with those center legs is perfect. You want solid wood directly between the top frame and the bottom frame. I would suggest you do the same with the four corners; just cut four pieces of 2x4 to fit snug between the top frame and bottom frame, and screw them to the existing corner legs.

I'm not trying to make more work for you, and I do tend to build things much stronger than they need to be... but that comes directly from being asked to build things like 10-foot high platforms that are safe enough for a dozen actors to jump up and down on (simultaneously) every night for several weeks. I take that pretty seriously.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Kalevac I was busy building all evening so I didnt see this until know but I am sure you will see in the following pics what you are refering to.
these are the 11/32 thick sections uncut.

added supports on each corner. 2x4's

another view of the supports

heres the back and sides added (note :sides are still removeable for the coming addition of flooring and shelves.)

heres the front installed and cut out for doors

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Brilliant! You even spanned the joints on the top frame with the legs, something I forgot to mention. You could park a car or two on that thing.

I can't wait to see the finished product. What are you doing for filtration on it?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
nope thats coming this weekend..I still have to clean it up but I do have the one 90G already set up that I may move to this stand..or build another one. but I still have a hood to build also..

I tend to make things sturdier than they need to be also.I have seen the mess from a 29G when I was about 17..I damn sure do not want 90G going all over the place.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
heres the current progress...

Ok I do need to sand some of the rough edges and use the belt sander on some spots that are a bit uneven that i have noticed. I tend to be a perfectionist but being this was all done with a scroll saw, drill, hammer, straight edge and a tape measure I think some minor imperfections can be expected.

The top and floor are not nailed down since I still have to stain it. But other than adding a shelf and doors it is about done.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have no idea how much it weighs..if i was to guess I would say 70lbs..it can easily be carried by 2 people. I would rather be heavier and sturdy than light and maybe.if you know what I mean.

I dont know about the cost of a 55G stand but this stand will have cost probably 70- 80 by the time i am done and a 90G costs anywhere from 200 to 400 from what i have seen. Plus I have not been satified with the construction on pre made stands. Many of them that I have seen are nothing more than laminate covered particle board and no real supports in my opinion.

No changes tonight..I did stop on the way home from work and buy some stain and wood filler so i can cover the nails and screws. I was going to start staining it but it rained all day and I will have to stain it outside on the patio.

1 question..after I stain it I am planning on coating with polyurethane (sp?).. is this necassary or a waste of time and money?

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Polyurethane? What product do you have in mind?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put a clear-coat, lacquer, or something over the stain to seal it all up and protect the wood from moisture. I wouldn't say it is a waste of time at all, personally. It could be optional, though - I would find out if water will affect it. It's been a long time since I've stained anything.

I used three coats and I've been doing it for quite some time, so yes do be weary if you've never done it before and don't know how to spray paint. I've never used the liquid paintable stuff, but my sister did on her desk years ago and the desk looks beautiful. But i would strongly suggest putting some kind of sealent over the stain.