finally started 90g stand

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
After 9 months of Procrastination I have finally begun this project...

heres the pics..they are kinda crappy since the only camera i have is my cell phone but better than nothing

2x4 after being cut 4x 46in, 4x30in (legs), 4x19in, 8x16in.

Ok the tops and bottom are pretty much identical in build.

Due to a cheap drill I am on hold..usually smoke coming out of power tools is bad. Hopefully it will cool off and still work so I can finish the legs tonight. It will sit at 30in tall..went together really quick and with only a small amount of blood shed.. I do plan to add some center bracing as well..but waiting until the legs are attached to figure out where they need to be.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I havent gotten to the finishing stage yet...i am going to add some more supports because i am paranoid. The plywood I want to use to finish it is about 30 a sheet so that may wait 2 weeks until i get paid again...but then again my patience may not alow me to wait that long. I havent figured out how thick i want to go..thing is already getting heavy..lol

I figured I would add the cost so far...7 2x4's and a box of screws $22.00

Last edited:

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Just a suggestion, why not put a 2x4 screwed to the legs that supports the top to the bottom. As in between them. Right now all the weight is going to be supported by the screws holding the top to the legs. Works on small tanks but it would make me paranoid on something as big as a 90 ;).

You probably already know this but it hasn't been said. The sheathing put on the outside will become part of the load bearing structure as well, so going too thin might not be the best bet.

Chris

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I think that that stand will hold a tank, I mean a Sherman! LOL. Brian went with the better safe that sorry method. I built a 9'4" wide two tier stand. It has 2-2x4's as legs on each end and 2-2x4's as support in the middle. Then I ran 2x4's around all 4 sides at 3.5" off the ground for the tanks on the lower tier, and the same around the top. Brian has much more strength than that. IMHO

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Just a suggestion, why not put a 2x4 screwed to the legs that supports the top to the bottom. As in between them. Right now all the weight is going to be supported by the screws holding the top to the legs. Works on small tanks but it would make me paranoid on something as big as a 90 ;).

Chris
Yea I think I understand what you saying put another 2x4 attached to the current leg but under the top frame and on top of the bottom frame..thats actually one thing I had planned on doing so i have a surface to attach the plywood, but was thinking of 2x2's for that...i am to damn tired to do it tonight though..

I am still going to add a center one as well for suppot and the doors I plan on adding.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well went to get the plywood tonight...got a really good deal on a "scrap" piece of finished (sanded) 3/4 plywood..$4... it easily a 6'x 32" piece that would have cost me almost $30 for a full sized piece.

for the sides I went with 11/32 finished (sanded) at $17 a sheet..

well i got permission from my financial advisor (wife) before I bought anything but as usual I am in the dog house because my total cost as now exceeded my original estimate by $20. She didnt think the comment "hey if I hadnt gotten that deal on the onepiece it would have been alot more" was nearly as funny as I did. So a little sweet talkin and I am back on track...of course not sure how I can be in the doghouse 1200 miles away but whatever..lol Anyway before i derail my own thread hopefully I will get some pictures and get to cutting and screwing and nailing.

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Well went to get the plywood tonight...got a really good deal on a "scrap" piece of finished (sanded) 3/4 plywood..$4... it easily a 6'x 32" piece that would have cost me almost $30 for a full sized piece.

for the sides I went with 11/32 finished (sanded) at $17 a sheet..

well i got permission from my financial advisor (wife) before I bought anything but as usual I am in the dog house because my total cost as now exceeded my original estimate by $20. She didnt think the comment "hey if I hadnt gotten that deal on the onepiece it would have been alot more" was nearly as funny as I did. So a little sweet talkin and I am back on track...of course not sure how I can be in the doghouse 1200 miles away but whatever..lol Anyway before i derail my own thread hopefully I will get some pictures and get to cutting and screwing and nailing.
I'm sure once you are done erecting the wood she won't mind the cost one bit...

Very nice stand Brian.